VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Thread
  1. God's Child
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I recently got some Blu-rays where, long story short, I noticed how the playback speed is actually a little bit sped up, and it’s pretty noticeable in the pitch of the audio and in the general procession of the events in the videos. My only way to watch Blu-rays is on my PlayStation 4, so I only have the ability to speed up the video on it. So if I want to watch these at their proper speed, I would need to use VLC on my computer to slow the speed down a little bit. But I don’t have a Blu-ray player for my Mac. So, I’m looking into the prospect of buying an external Blu-ray drive. It doesn’t need to be anything fancy. I would like to find something as cheap as possible and yet as reliable as possible (though I realize of course you often get what you pay for, so I may need to settle on some kind of middleground). So with all that in mind, does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap yet reliable external Blu-ray drive that works on a Mac? Thanks in advance.
    "They will walk after the LORD, He will roar like a lion; indeed He will roar and His sons will come trembling from the west." - Hosea 11:10
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Electronics-External-BDR-XD05S-Silver/dp/B00OLZCD5K

    This will also work with a Mac. No, it is not cheap. Cheap external Blu-ray drives tend to be less durable.

    https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-External-Playback-BE16NU50/dp/B01IP8IBPE

    If VLC doesn't work for you, you could try Leawo Blu-ray Player.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. God's Child
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Electronics-External-BDR-XD05S-Silver/dp/B00OLZCD5K

    This will also work with a Mac. No, it is not cheap. Cheap external Blu-ray drives tend to be less durable.

    https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-External-Playback-BE16NU50/dp/B01IP8IBPE

    If VLC doesn't work for you, you could try Leawo Blu-ray Player.
    Thanks for the advice. You’re right, those aren’t cheap. When you say “less durable”, do you mean they can get damaged if not handled gently or if they get dropped or something, or do you mean that they tend to wear out fast?
    "They will walk after the LORD, He will roar like a lion; indeed He will roar and His sons will come trembling from the west." - Hosea 11:10
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jeikobu View Post

    Thanks for the advice. You’re right, those aren’t cheap. When you say “less durable”, do you mean they can get damaged if not handled gently or if they get dropped or something, or do you mean that they tend to wear out fast?
    I mean the less expensive slim drives tend to wear out faster than full-height drives. Both types of portable drives are likely to suffer fatal damage if dropped.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see anything expensive with an external BD-R drive for around $100.
    External DVD burners were about 2x costs as well.

    Nothing good from slim drives. They're flimsy, wear out easily, and rarely work that great even when new.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi all! Need advice searching for external bluray drive as a gift. But I'm nothing understanding in this topic. Can u help me?
    When I searching at Googe, it shows me that popular models are: Pioneer BDR-XS06, LG BP50NB40, Asus BW-16D1X-U and Archgon MD-3102S-U3 ( info from bestadvisor, link)
    So can someone tell me which variant is better?
    I'm not limited by money, but I don’t want to overpay
    If someone knows please tell
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Leo2u View Post
    Hi all! Need advice searching for external bluray drive as a gift. But I'm nothing understanding in this topic. Can u help me?
    When I searching at Googe, it shows me that popular models are: Pioneer BDR-XS06, LG BP50NB40, Asus BW-16D1X-U and Archgon MD-3102S-U3 ( info from bestadvisor, link)
    So can someone tell me which variant is better?
    I'm not limited by money, but I don’t want to overpay
    If someone knows please tell
    Those who replied to this thread are of the opinion that full-height drives are a better choice. It should be easy to see that 3 of the 4 drives on your list are slim drives and one is a full-height drive.

    Note external USB Blu-ray drives are better for reading discs and that any external USB Blu-ray drive whether full-height or slim could have issues with writing/burning discs when connected to some computers. This problem is related to the differences between how a USB connection works (the connection to the computer) as opposed to how a SATA connection (the internal connection for the Blu-ray drive) works.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Nowadays, for casual users who aren't ripping 1,000s of discs, thin laptop drives will be as reliable as desktop drives in that you can elect to get years and years of use before they fail.

    E.g. My bdr-xd04 from 2012 still does dozens a year without any problem.

    ...

    https://deuhd.ru/supported.html
    If you later decide to work with 4k uhd bluray discs, you'll need a compatible bluray drive.

    Otherwise, anything on sale.

    ...

    http://yss.la.coocan.jp/
    If you ever burn blurays, the pioneer desktop drives with the made in Japan Panasonic discs have among the lowest error rates of written discs.
    If you never write discs, buy whatever's on sale.

    ...

    https://www.microcenter.com/product/485067/lg-wh16ns40-16x-internal-blu-ray-rewriter
    E.g. $65 lg + 5.25" case

    ...

    Desktop sized 5.25" drives rip and burn faster than laptop sized thin drives.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads