VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a very short sample with dust/scratch http://www.mediafire.com/file/5cy80apbtkazrmp/dustsample.mov

Can you help me about doing a dust/scratch removal in the same file quality? Quicktime ProRes HQ.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    This is old newsfilm speeded up to 25fps, and it's supposed to look like old, authentic newsfilm, not like digital video shot in a studio in 2018. Are you sure you want to degrade it with more processing? It just has typical soft-style old movie grain and a few minor defects. Why bother? As long as you're at it, aren't you going to correct the greyed-out black balance? It will have a very plastic look by the time you're finished with it. Anyway your best bet is RemoveDirtMC or RemoveSpotsMC2x or RemoveSpotsMC3.

Are you using a Mac? If so, the suggested filters are out of the question. They require Avisynth.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. I agree with LMotlow as I don't believe in removing film grain either, and you have the more pressing problem of fixing the black levels. However, here's a quick shot at attempting what you want using the AviSynth script below. Of course, if you have to use a Mac it'll be of no use to you.

FFVideoSource("dustsample.mov").ConvertToYV12()
    Crop(240,0,-240,0)
    Tweak(Bright=-20,Cont=1.1,Coring=False)
    A=Last
    B=A.Levels(0,0.9,255,0,255,Coring=False).Tweak(Bri ght=-10,Cont=1.0,Coring=False)
    ReplaceFramesSimple(A,B,Mappings="[6 36] ")
    B=Last
    B=B.Trim(6,0)
    A=A.Trim(0,19)
    Dissolve(A,B,14)###DissolveIn

RemoveDirtMC(last, 55, false)
    FFA2(0)###used only because there was crap on the first two frames

Greyscale()
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. As VideoFred points out in that descratch thread, the only good way to remove scratches is to use a wetgate transfer (i.e., you put a "vaseline-like" substance on the film before doing the digital transfer). Scratches are very, very difficult to remove digitally after the film has been transferred because they persist from frame-to-frame. Therefore, they tend to look just like other vertical lines, such as the edge of a wall, flagpole, etc. I've played around with Descratch, but never had much luck getting it to do much.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just extreme noise reduction with MCTemporalDenoise(settings="very high").
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yep, pretty extreme, alright. But then, maybe that's exactly what EHarlen is looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  7. First of all, thank you for your help.

But I have one more sample with dust/scratch that I need your help.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/givnsi7dgxxdtgn/dustsample2.mov
    Quote Quote  
  8. Same principle as the earlier one. If you want to remove all the specks and dirt and assorted crap, with not much done to the film grain, use RemoveDirtMC or similar at whatever strength pleases you. If you want to zap all noise/film grain/specks, use MCTemporalDenoise or similar at stronger or weaker settings.
    Quote Quote