VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I'm capturing some old 8mm and Hi8 cassette tapes using the Canon L2 professional camcorder, I'm getting this random while lines flashing across the screen randomly -see attached- and I don't seem to get rid of them no matter what, I have another 8mm only camcorder and it didn't exhibit the white lines on the same tape and same footage that the Canon did, So I'm certain it is the Canon camcorder, I heard that the L1 and L2 have that surface mounted capacitors syndrome but I'm not sure if that would cause such problem as all the camcorder's functions are intact.

Capture.mpg
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I think I'm going to answer my thread, The camcorder definitely has an issue with the electronics, As it warms up the picture starts to get noisy and I can smell some chemical odor coming out of it, not bad but I can smell it, I paid few bucks for it as non working though. I'm not sure if I'm ever going to find a service manual, I think I may just toss it and resume the hunt for a decent Hi8 camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    You could always try putting it in the fridge and running cables past the door seal. Maybe it will work if kept cold.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    You could always try putting it in the fridge and running cables past the door seal. Maybe it will work if kept cold.
    It's a good idea, However the white lines are always there even before it starts warming up.

I think I will just get a consumer grade camcorder as long as it has S-Video, HiFi stereo and has TBC/DNR feature, I know of one for sure, The CCD-TRV66, It would great if I can find a list of Hi8 camcorders that are built in TBC/DNR and HiFi Stereo.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That sort of error may be worn/damaged heads.
    However, said error is usually magnetic dropouts from the tape itself.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I acquired a Sony CCD-TRV66 and it has a professional looking video on Hi8 tapes, I'm pretty happy with it.
    Quote Quote