VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!
    I've got a stack of DV Cassettes that I would like to digitise. The camera is still working and I can see the tapes on the screen on the Handycam. My question is, how do I digitise this stuff to my iMac? I have tried several cables with no success. I would like to import the DV tapes into iMovie and edit in there. Is this a possible? Or do I have to pay to have them digitised?
    Any info or advice most gratefully received.
    Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    You should be able to do it with iMovie and a FireWire (IEEE1394) cable, provided you have a FireWire port. If you have a Thunderbolt port, then you will need the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    You should be able to do it with iMovie and a FireWire (IEEE1394) cable, provided you have a FireWire port. If you have a Thunderbolt port, then you will need the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter.
    Specifically you will need a FW400 (from the camera) to FW800 cable and a FW800 to Thunderbolt cable. Any other combination will not work for both the necessary machine control and video capture.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, you definitely need to use the 1394/Firewire cable because it will simply copy the bits on the tape to your computer. Any other method will require that the video be re-encoded, causing an unnecessary loss of quality.
    Quote Quote