VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13
FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. We are returning the Winnova Tablet to Amazon Canada. Hopefully it all works out well. My Sister who bought it is suppose to get a refund if everything works out. This is the first time we ever returned something to Amazon Canada.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    jagabo: I ran across a YouTube video where a guy put Kodi on it, he did find Kodi in the Play Store and he installed it.
    Now that you mention it, I think the reviewer I saw did download Kodi from the Google app store.

Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    then after that he went the other root and went into the Kodi settings and downloaded some repository. I remember he pressed a button seven times for whatever reason.
    We must have seen the same video(s). The multiple taps was to enable developer mode, which enables side loading -- installing apps from sources other than Google's app store. It's annoying that side loaded apps do not show up in the main app list. You have to load another app that lets you see and run all the side loaded apps.

I won't get one of these devices because I would have to get a USB hub to add the functionality I would would want and remember Canadian prices are higher to begin with.
    Yes that was annoying too. Not having a barrel connector for power probably saved them 5 cents in manufacturing costs. Lack of an Ethernet port was another shortcoming for me. I saw that you can use a powered USB hub and an Ethernet-to-USB adapter but what a frankenstein of a setup.

I am having enough grief with Mom's tablet. It will charge briefly then stop charging then if I wiggle the cord a bit it will charge again then it starts charging and it can be a matter of seconds then it stops charging again. The most I have been able to get it to is 35 percent. But it seems Winnovo is just about the cheapest tablet out there and if I had known this it would not have been ordered.
    You should return that thing if you still can. At least send it in for repairs if it's still under warranty.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    We are returning the Winnova Tablet to Amazon Canada. Hopefully it all works out well. My Sister who bought it is suppose to get a refund if everything works out. This is the first time we ever returned something to Amazon Canada.
    I didn't see this before making my previous post. I've only returned a few items over the years but I've never had any problems with returns at Amazon.com. The last time I printed out a one page return order and took it to the FedEx store thinking I'd have to pack it up, fill out the usual FedEx packing slip, etc. When I got there the guy at the counter took the item and the return order and they did everything. No shipping fees, no re-stocking fee, nothing!
    Quote Quote  
  4. jagabo: I don't have a printer but I talked to a Lady I know and she was kind enough to print out the labels for me. The Lady at the local Post Office was a great help at getting it all ready to be returned. If it gets to Mississauga before October 30th, 2020 my Sister is suppose to get a refund which goes back on to the prepaid gift card. I hope all that works out, they might now allow it to be put back on a prepaid Mastercard. Hopefully if that doesn't work out they can put the money into something at Amazon on my Sister's account. I have heard of an Amazon Wallet.

I should be thankful this problem arose before the thirty day return had expired. I tried to the best of my ability to get it to charge but that was adjusting that cable I didn't open it up or anything.

Thank you for your input.

My Sister was given an iPad and got locked out of it because she put the wrong security code in it too many times. If we could get it hooked to iTunes we could get it on locked. I couldn't get iTunes set up on either my Sister's laptop or my laptop and probably that is a blessing as I have heard it screws one's computer up.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for posting this Lon Seidman review of the Chromecast with Google TV. Now I am tempted to buy a Chromecast with Google TV to play with.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. usually_quiet: You are welcome!
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo:
    My Sister was given an iPad and got locked out of it because she put the wrong security code in it too many times. If we could get it hooked to iTunes we could get it on locked. I couldn't get iTunes set up on either my Sister's laptop or my laptop and probably that is a blessing as I have heard it screws one's computer up.
    If you took that Ipad to an Apple Store (although must note that these have shut down a few times due to status of the pandemic here -- maybe a better situation in Canada ?), I would hope that they might help with that situation. And if there is any reluctance on their part to do so, as a general principle I always try to frame things along the lines of "I've been a good customer, have recommended you to others etc. . . . , do you want me to continue being a customer for the long haul ? / this has some impact on the standing of your brand." That type of approach seems to work more often than not. (But it probably would not work with some very minor brand or fly-by-night outfit.) I have noted with some curiosity that different Apple stores in our area seem to have logged highly varying reviews on Yelp, compared to each other. In that case, I'd tend to drive the longer distance to the location that had the much better reviews, all other things being equal. In fact I have done that, seeking some help regarding my older Ipad. (Reference my earlier thread here on Ipad accessories.) They were willing to help, but could not do so, because Apple does not make what I needed and they seem to be appallingly ignorant of third-party solutions. With a lot of tedious trial and error ordering stuff from Amazon and eBay, I finally found most of what I needed. So I did in the end get a full-service keyboard working. But still no definitive answer re docks that might be able to multiplex that damned single port In / Out, probably because this tablet was never designed to support that. To get that sort of dual functionality would seem to require a MS Surface or one of its work-alike competitors.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 20th Oct 2020 at 16:37.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Seeker47: Thank you for your post. I live in a rural area so I am quite far away from an Apple Store.

I don't know how soon I will part with the funds to buy a Raspberry Pi but with certain builds they do seem to be able to install iTunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L31kdleRbBo

The issue with my Sister's iPad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrUp9ekD9fE

I see a new iTunes version is out, but if you read down in the comments and elsewhere at VideoHelp iTunes can screw up one's computer. For whatever reason it wouldn't install on my Sister's laptop or my Desktop when I tried it back earlier in the year. I even tried the Microsoft Store and that didn't work.

With these system builds on SD Cards for the Raspberry Pi, I think I would have more confidence about iTunes as one could always put another SD Card in and go back to Raspbian.

I am assuming that Windows 10 WOR system is legal. As for a lot of the other suggestions on YouTube and the Internet to unlock your iPad without iTunes, it involves installing software and how do I know it isn't spyware, ransomware or malware.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just came across this, for whatever interest it may hold:

https://www.androidcentral.com/what-google-tv

and this:

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-streaming-devices
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Regarding Plex server, which runs on some of these Android boxes:

I watched this video about setting it up, specifically on the Nvidia Shield

https://www.amazon.com/vdp/3d9afdd74a9849e8b9f64aeda637855b?ref=dp_vse_rvc_0

and it looks like a major rigamarole. I can see the point of this if one has a home theater plus an always on NAS with storage for hundreds of movies / shows, which you want to be able to feed at will to any (capable) tv at your house. That ain't me. Could certainly do it, but don't really see the point in going to all that trouble. Instead, I have favored a much lower tech solution of the sort that way back to the floppy disk era was called "sneaker net." (As in sneakers -- you know, like Vans, Nike, whatever.) You just walk it over. I'll have a large selection of movies, documentaries, tv series etc. on a portable HDD, or even transferred to a flash drive if the content is a lot more temporary, and then just take that to whichever tv where it will be viewed. Plug that directly into various streamer boxes, or even into the USB port on the Blu-Ray player, and off we go: no network stuff to deal with, no setup required. If I had recent smart TVs, the drives could just plug directly into the tv. This much easier method can't do all that an HTPC could do, won't play every format out there, but it does play a large majority of them. So, I don't really get what I'm supposedly missing. Why complicate things if you don't have to ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I notice a new Raspberry Pi on the market:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1E5xszQqV8

I really hope that keyboard has a good feel to it. When I use my Sister's laptop I hate typing on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqpylxLhw98
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I notice a new Raspberry Pi on the market:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1E5xszQqV8

I really hope that keyboard has a good feel to it. When I use my Sister's laptop I hate typing on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqpylxLhw98
    Ars Technica did a review https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/raspberry-pi-400-the-under-100-desktop-pc-you-...ow-you-needed/
    Quote Quote  
  13. zing269: That is quite a comprehensive review, thank you for providing the link.

If the keyboard isn't comfortable for typing because it is too compact that is a big drawback. A lot of Raspberry Pi 4 videos I watch on YouTube have issues with playing videos from YouTube when the reviewer does that test. It would be nice if they would do a full keyboard version, and put in full sized hdmi output, a couple more USB 3.0 ports and perhaps a couple more USB 2.0 ports as well. It is terrific they have such a big heat sink built in to keep it cooler. All and all it is interesting and innovative technology. It is probably well worth the price they charge for it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I found an article about Android TV Boxes.
    It gives a lot of informations about what to note when you are looking for an Android Box.
    So maybe it can help you.
    Here is the link to the article: https://www.heimkinoheld.de/android-tv-box/ (you can translate it with deepl.com to english)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Zidoo Z9X is one that looks promising.
    It handles 4k and HDR, though it may be a work in progress with firmware updates.
    I just ordered one this week.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Raspberry Pi 4 NAS Drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6YN2mKokgY

This video I think will be useful for some people. I know someday I want to set up a NAS Drive and having something that doesn't consume a whole lot of electricity is even better.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I use a low power Windows PC (Celeron J4105 CPU on a mini ITX motherboard) as a NAS now. I like having all the Windows tools (what I'm used to) available. It costs more and power consumption isn't as low as a Raspberry Pi but it's acceptable.
    Quote Quote  
  18. @ Julia34 The mentioned article forgoes at one and very important issue: official certification for Netflix and Prime.
    NVidia Shield, Xiaomi, the new Google Chromecast with Google tv have this.
    Also the Amazon fire tv range have this certification. I think it's called Widevine.
    If a box does not have this certification you're stuck with sd resolution on Netflix and Prime.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I like the innovation in the Raspberry Pi and Android Box space.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Tom Saurus - I took the plunge and ordered a Chromecast With Google TV 4K to add some new functionality to my non-smart bedroom TV. It came today and have been enjoying it so far.

I can use the Chromecast to watch live cable TV via an Android app that acts as a client for my HTPC's PVR software, NextPVR. I am also going to try to install some apps that will allow me to watch free on-demand content from websites for various OTA and cable networks that isn't available on-demand from my cable provider. I'm hoping that I can install my cable TV provider's streaming app for Android phones so I can watch on-demand content but it doesn't seem to be in the Google TV store.

[Edit]It turns out that I can use the NextPVR client app to watch recordings with my phone but not with the Chromecast. It's probably because the app is designed for a touch screen interface rather than a remote.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Nov 2020 at 10:51. Reason: correction
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    . . .
    I'm hoping that I can install my cable TV provider's streaming app for Android phones so I can watch on-demand content but it doesn't seem to be in the Google TV store.

[Edit]It turns out that I can use the NextPVR client app to watch recordings with my phone but not with the Chromecast. It's probably because the app is designed for a touch screen interface rather than a remote.
    There seem to be a number of useful Android apps that are not officially sanctioned or sponsored, and therefore present in the Google store. I got a bunch of them from Blazekey, back before it was hounded out of existence. Then there is Aptoide, which I think is the one with the cumbersome, needle-in-a-haystack UI. And I think there was another source that is mentioned, whose name escapes me at the moment. It would be great if we could scan APKs at Virustotal, in case of any concerns over these outside sources, but I'm doubting they support Android.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    . . .
    I'm hoping that I can install my cable TV provider's streaming app for Android phones so I can watch on-demand content but it doesn't seem to be in the Google TV store.

There seem to be a number of useful Android apps that are not officially sanctioned or sponsored, and therefore present in the Google store. I got a bunch of them from Blazekey, back before it was hounded out of existence. Then there is Aptoide, which I think is the one with the cumbersome, needle-in-a-haystack UI. And I think there was another source that is mentioned, whose name escapes me at the moment. It would be great if we could scan APKs at Virustotal, in case of any concerns over these outside sources, but I'm doubting they support Android.
    Thanks but I don't want to try installing any apps that aren't available from Google. Xfinity Stream is an officially sanctioned app. It is in the Google Play store and I have installed it on my Android phone. However, it isn't available to those with Google TV/Android TV. Possibly, I can cast video playing on my phone to the Chromecast but it isn't my preferred solution. I may attempt to sideload Xfinity Stream, although it may not run well on a device without a touch screen interface.
    Quote Quote  
  23. usually_quite: Do you have an ethernet cable running into your Chromecast With Google TV or is all this wireless? I hope you enjoy your new gizmo.

My Mom has returned to playing Solitaire on her Android Box. My sister is using the 7 inch tablet a the moment as her Samsung Galaxy Tab 6 Lite 10 inch tablet has stopped working. However we are hopeful that the Best Buy Geek Squad can get my Sister's iPad unlocked and perhaps find out what is wrong with the tablet I mentioned. Maybe it is as simple as the usb-c cable being at fault. My Sister is going up town next week and plans on getting a new cable, if it isn't the cable at least she will have a spare cable.

Mom is hooked on Solitaire. Also maybe looking at the 19 inch TV screen is better than that 7 inch screen. It turns out she likes Solitaire so much she didn't play the word search games on the tablet.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quite: Do you have an ethernet cable running into your Chromecast With Google TV or is all this wireless? I hope you enjoy your new gizmo.
    I have a wireless home network. When my previous wired/wireless router died 2 years ago, I bought an AC1900 dual-band router. It works pretty well for streaming video wirelessly. Of course, a wired network would be better but it would be difficult for me to install one.

Thanks, I am enjoying the new Chromcast With Google TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One of my biggest mistakes as a first-time homeowner was not anticipating the advantages of this and having Cat-6 wiring retrofit inside the walls, serving every room. (More recently built homes are apt to have this feature, from the beginning.) Of course, one can still have this done after the fact, with some mess, inconvenience, and cost, but if you have to do that the best time to do it is before you move in. A wired option just sidesteps various potential gotchas and performance questions.

I have some hesitations regarding the later, presumably superior mesh routers: that they may up the radiation output and exposure within your daily living space, where there is probably already quite enough. The advent of 5G service may only add to this.
    Quote Quote  
  26. This didn't work for one person in the comments section beneath the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QVQEhuYdRI

It is nice to see that different OS can work on the Raspberry Pi.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Any opinions about the following two TV boxes mainly for H264/H265 video playback with AC3/DD+ audio up to 4K resolution?

https://www.savio.net.pl/en/product/savio-smart-tv-box-silver-2-16-gb-android-9-0-pie-...-savio-tb-s01/

https://www.savio.net.pl/en/product/smart-tv-box-gold-tb-g01-2-16-gb-android-9-0-pie-h...-wifi-usb-3-0/

Which of the two would you choose if any?
    Quote Quote  
  28. kyrcy: The first one has 3 usb outputs one being usb 3; the second one has just two one USB 3 and one USB 2. I think it is important to have more USB outputs because right away if you plug in the wireless doodad for a mini-keyboard you only have one left. However that is not the only factor in making a decision. You need to find out how limiting this Android 9 is. I am hopeful people with better knowledge than I do will give you the advice you need. I hope you don't end up with software that is problematic in that you can't install all the apps you want.

I would suggest watching some video reviews of these devices before you buy them and you did the right thing asking for advice. If you are advised or learn these don't meet your expectations, put money aside as you are able for something that does.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quite: Do you have an ethernet cable running into your Chromecast With Google TV or is all this wireless?
    Since you asked about connecting the Chromecast with Google TV to a wired network, I found out today that there is an Ethernet adapter available from the Google Store that is designed specifically for this device. See https://store.google.com/us/product/chromecast_ethernet_adapter_gen_2

I haven't tried it because I have a wireless network.
    Quote Quote