VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7
FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Thread
  1. jagabo: Definitely Raspberry Pi 4 is the one to get as it is a leap forward. I can't even imagine where they go with a RPi 5. I have watched various YouTube videos about Raspberry Pi 4 and the only negative I have gathered from them is that YouTube video playback is buggy for whatever reason on the RPi. That remote is very nice but once again it seems cheaper to import it from Amazon USA because Amazon Canada has that remote listed at 63 bucks or so. I would go with a heat sink for passive cooling though I don't have any intentions to tax the machine's resources. I am glad to see the price of solid state hard drives coming down as people say they are hardier and quicker. I have been tempted by 10 TB hard drives as well, hoping they can last for many years. I believe Android is limited to 2 TB, but does RPi have that same restriction? If so hopefully RPi 5 jumps that hurdle.
    Quote Quote  
  2. So one can use the Modem and plug in a USB external drive and stream videos through your ethernet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RByOJjhN10

We have this Modem:

https://support.bell.ca/Internet/Connection-help/Home-Hub-1000-modem.how_to_connect_a_...ome_hub_1000_1

So if we bought a 10 TB Hard Drive and made sure everything one would put on it is backed up on other drives, one could make five partitions and stream your own videos, music and pictures over your ethernet cables to your various boxes hooked to your TV via Kodi all without hooking in the Internet if you were to save the meta data that was scraped.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes. If your cable modem/router supports an external drive and is set up for network sharing you can play videos from there via Ethernet or WiFi. Some possible problems:

The USB port on the router probably can't supply enough power for a 10 TB hard drive. It will probably need its own power supply (wall wart).

The router may not support drives over 2 TB.

The router may not support NTFS. You may have to format the drive FAT32.

The router may not support multiple partitions. Use one partition and put different things in different folders.

Back up all the files you don't want to lose. External USB drives are notoriously flaky.
    Quote Quote  
  4. jagabo: Thank you for this information.
    Quote Quote  
  5. My Sister is to get a new Android Tablet soon and I was wondering if someone could recommend a good ethernet to usb connector so she can access internet on it. I don't have WiFi enabled on our modem as I have never felt comfortable with WIFI and this has upped a couple notches now that Covid 19 kicked my butt into embracing Online Banking.

She was given an iPad recently and she is locked out of that because it wants you to hook it to iTunes. Her Windows 7 laptop wouldn't accept iTunes and neither did my Windows 7 desktop. We gave up on that and she will just have to take it to someone who has iTunes and get it working at their place.

My Mom has a Android Box coming soon. It will be terrific for her to play wordsearch puzzles on it. This is what we ordered:

https://www.amazon.ca/TUREWELL-Allwinner-Quadcore-Mali-G31-Ethernet/dp/B085VTZQSF/ref=...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.amazon.ca/Rii-i8X-Rechargeable-Raspberry-Projector/dp/B079LZGV6F/ref=sr_1_...srs=8005380011

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which Android tablet did your sister order? It would be helpful to know what kind of USB speeds and USB ports it offers before offering advice on an Ethernet adapter.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. usually_quiet: Thank you for your response. I just emailed the Lady and she wrote this one is acceptable:

https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-Galaxy-Tablet-Black-SM-T560NZKUXAR/dp/B018QAYM7C/ref=sr_...64&sr=8-8&th=1

My Sister is developmentally disabled and she has some funding for the Tablet. This seems like a really nice tablet.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I looked at the specs for the Samsung Galaxy Tab E 16GB 9.6-Inch Tablet SM-T560 at Samsung's website. They indicate it has a USB 2.0 connection. The specs don't reveal if the port is USB type C or Micro USB type B but I was able to find pictures and reviews that tell me it is a Micro USB type B port. I still don't know if it is an OTG port, which would allow connecting an Ethernet adapter, or if it is only for charging.

However, the Micro USB type B port may be difficult for your sister to use. I found a few reviews from people who bought one of these tablets indicating that they thought that the Micro USB type B charging cable that this tablet uses is harder to connect than the USB type C charging cable that their phone has, or that their kid wrecked the port.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Having a tablet tethered to a cable kinda defeats the whole premise of having a tablet. I think you should just enable your WiFi and use a good long password.
    Quote Quote  
  10. usually_quiet: Thank you for your response.

jagabo: I was thinking that most of the time she would be offline and just hook the ethernet in to get some additional app.

I wonder if there is a way that only her tablet could access WiFi and my computer and everything else remained by ethernet only. Maybe I could learn how to turn the WiFi on and off and just shut my computer off while the WiFi is enabled; then disconnect and turn it back on.

Thank you for your response.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Most WiFi routers allow you to restrict access to only certain devices. You an also prevent it from broadcasting its availability to make it harder for anyone else to find.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If WiFi on your PC is provided by a removable card then you have another option for preventing it from connecting wirelessly. Remove the WiFi card.

[Edit]Regarding the tablet USB port, I found a video on YouTube that demonstrates using the port with flash drives, so it is an OTG port. This adapter might work: https://www.amazon.ca/Plugable-Ethernet-Compatible-Raspberry-AX88772A/dp/B00RM3KXAU It is reported to work on a Samsung Galaxy Tab E when running Android version 5.1.1 See https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71RtfSZvC5L.pdf
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd May 2020 at 10:21.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

Back up all the files you don't want to lose. External USB drives are notoriously flaky.
    Perhaps I've just been unusually lucky. (?) Knock on wood, and all that. But I've been a huge fan of the 2TB. WD Passport portable HDDs, the Made in Thailand ones with 3 year warranties. I've accumulated a bunch of 'em, over time. They are used for portable / extra storage of video, also for use with my various streaming players, from the venerable WD Live TV up though Nvidia Shield and Skystrem boxes. Several of these USB portable external HDDs have seen heavy use -- for years now. None have failed, so far. There is one older, 320 GB. portable that was used mainly for software and data backup, which has gotten somewhat flaky, in the sense that only a couple of the computers that I plug it into can still reliably detect it. I think that is likely a connector issue.

My general rule of thumb for this type of usage is that with any file that matters a lot and cannot readily be replaced it should always be redundantly stored on at least two HDDs. The HDDs are distinctively named: 'Such & Such #5', for example. Using a file manager program, I generate and try to keep updated catalogs of the individual HDD contents, which can later be quickly mass-searched for title keywords or under folder categories, such as "Documentaries." With huge numbers of items, this hopefully makes locating a particular one fairly straightforward.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  14. jagabo: Thank you as always for the advice you give me and others.

usually_quiet: Thank you very much. I will see about getting that ethernet adaptor.

My Mom has 31 dollars left on her Visa Prepaid Gift Card, and Amazon is offering her Prime Free for a month, so maybe the money left on the card can be used for that. I am grateful for the 35 dollar free shipping but sometimes you don't plan things just right and you have less than that on the cards.

Seeker47: I am glad that you post in this thread. I buy the 2 TB Seagate Hard Drives and for the most part they have been reliable. This being said I have to get more to make backups of my backups. I also want to try that 10 TB Hard Drive, even if I can just use it on my main computer.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thankfully I made a mistake on my math and my Mom had 41 bucks left on the Prepaid Visa Card so we were able to order that adaptor and two other items.

My Mom's Android Box came today and with Android 10 the Google App Store was a bit strange, I searched for "Wordsearch" and it would give a list of other stuff but I did install Lezisoft's Solitaire Game which is nice. I got some additional selections when I pressed on Aptoid TV button. I did get Tubi TV from the Google App Store as well and it works wonderful under this system I can select any episode of any show which is nice. I checked out a few seconds of "McCloud's Daughters" a show I know my Mom will enjoy as she used to watch it on VisionTV here in Canada.

I am liking the box quite a bit, as it seems quite powerful.

Here is the box she has:

https://www.amazon.ca/TUREWELL-Allwinner-Quadcore-Mali-G31-Ethernet/dp/B085VTZQSF

She also has this mini-keyboard:

https://www.amazon.ca/Rii-i8X-Rechargeable-Raspberry-Projector/dp/B079LZGV6F/ref=sr_1_...tronics&sr=1-1

It is probably not the highest quality box but I was aiming for affordability and quality at the same time.

The CBC News app worked. Some things that are preinstalled such as Firefox won't launch.

It has a button on the remote for KDplayer which is Kodi.

I did see a youtube video where someone said you have to sideload some apps to get them to work and you have to do something to get the full selection from Google Play Store.

I don't want to install any illegal apps as what is legal and free is for the best.

What apps I did install the download process was quite quick and understandable.

Lezisoft has a nice free word search game that my Sister has on her Android Box so I hope to get that on my Mom's box even though I can't seem to find it.

Any advice to steer me in the right direction is appreciated. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me. My other big goal is to have Kodi be able to work with the little 2TB usb hard drive, and it accept what I have already scraped and saved to it via my Desktop Kodi. I save the posters, nfo information right with the files so hopefully I can get the android 10 Kodi to work with that so we can enjoy the fan art and the episode descriptions.

I just wanted to note on my Desktop when I updated to the latest Kodi the 64 version finally worked for me. I have tried other 64 releases and they don't work but this one did and it was nice to see that.

I forgot to add YouTube was preinstalled and it worked very well.

Apparently there is an app to turn your android box into a personal computer which is nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BufOLo3mPgA
    Last edited by Tom Saurus; 29th May 2020 at 14:36. Reason: additional thoughts
    Quote Quote