VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6
FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Thread
  1. Make sure your keyboard has the same mini USB connector. Some may have a micro USB connector.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Braided-Charger-Charging-Controller/dp/B01NCJE1RE/
    Quote Quote  
  2. jagabo: I remember that I tried the charging cable for my Sister's cellphone and the mini-usb end would't fit into the keyboard. This is the mini-keyboard that we bought:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lexma-tk200-wireless-backlit-ergonomic-mini-keybo...glish/11418487

If only they would spell out exactly what type of cable it is in the specs on the website.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Smartphones usually have Micro USB connectors for power (because they're thinner). That keyboard is sold by many different companies with only minor variations. Mine doesn't have the LEXMA logo and the touch pad has some graphics printed on it. Everything else is identical (as far as one can see in the images). It has a Mini USB connector for power. Mini (left) and Micro (right) connectors:

[Attachment 50681 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by jagabo; 28th Oct 2019 at 16:00.
    Quote Quote  
  4. jagabo: Thank you. Looking at the slot where it plugs into on the mini-keyboard it fits with the mini-usb cable end.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I have so very many damn power / charging & data connection cables around here that things can easily get confusing.
    What I've taken to doing that helps -- and especially because memory becomes increasingly fallible over time -- is to use my Brother label-maker to make small, descriptive labels that should be applied to these things very shortly after they first come out of the box, if not immediately. So, for example, one went onto the charger cable & adapter saying "Samsung Galaxy 4", even useful for the years-later time when I replaced that with the Galaxy 7, and specifically labeled the accessories for that. (I tend to keep a cell phone for 3 - 4 years. Not being one of those folks with the quick, techno-upgrade itch.) Perhaps their chargers and their (separate) car chargers were functionally the same, but I did not want to take that chance. About to happen again, as I've now had that Galaxy 7 for around 4 years: it is getting slower and more bogged down, the charges lasting for less and less time, even though I do zero music or video on it, and not much internet usage. I had a few different models of Thinkpad over the years, and so labeled their respective power bricks -- most of which otherwise look similar. This seems fairly obvious in retrospect, but it is definitely helpful to be able to ID these things without a doubt and at a glance.

I'll probably order each of the cables jagabo mentioned. That's one thing about the Rii 8 cables: I always seem to be one or two short for those. Don't know where they disappear to, but they do. Gotta stay prepared.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 1st Nov 2019 at 15:41.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wasn't sure where else to put this.

Has anyone else had a major disappointment with the Rii mini-keyboards, which were recommended for and which I've used with various streaming boxes ? The mini-keyboard works pretty well while it is still working. But what I'm finding is that they don't seem to last more than a year -- at best. Something happens: the battery burns out (?) or it otherwise fails, and can no longer be recharged. This is seen with those colored lights on the keyboard. Bad things also happen if you leave it charging for awhile, or do not charge it for 2 or 3 months. I'm thinking the warranty on these units is for not even a year. If you have to keep replacing them, the Rii would not be such a good choice, after all.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    ...and I suppose this means that the 3 is strictly a player now, competing with others that have been discussed here.
    No, the Skystream Three still plays everything, just as earlier models. And it's quite a bit cheaper as compared to the earlier models, as you noted. I'd highly recommend paying extra for the airmouse remote, though, as the included remote is crap.
    For my own future reference, I have been compiling "report cards" on the 5 or so streaming boxes that I have so far, going into great detail as to which file formats they can or cannot handle for local playback -- as well as some other features. On the possibility that someone else may be interested in this info, when this is completed I hope to publish it here, either in this thread or a new one.

Just f.y.i., remaining stock of the Skystream TWO (the last to include their own, curated and self-updated version of Kodi, which they rebranded as "Media Center X") seem to be selling for $425. (!) That is almost certainly being offered by third parties, and not direct. Skystream itself appears to have moved on from the Model 3 to the model "3+." I had a recent reply from their tech support, so they are definitely still a going concern -- unlike the now-vanished Dragon Box, which was driven off of the market. (Dropping their Kodi may well have removed the bullseye target from Skystream's back . . . ?) They were unable to provide me with any control codes for their boxes, but suggested that a good learning remote should be able to "absorb" some control functions. However, as you mentioned, that double-sided gyro Airmose could be the best immediate alternative to their really threadbare stock remote, which I find similar to the rather inadequate stock remote for the Amazon Fire TV.

As I proceed with these streaming boxes, I'm liking the Nvidia Shield more and more. But then, I'm really a lot more interested in local playback of diverse media files, plus some use of the major streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, as I never particularly got into using Kodi.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I did buy that cable and it has worked out fine.

I don't hook the Android Box up to the Internet very often but the other day I did because somehow one of the Solitaire Games disappeared in the Apps section. Well anyway once I got it back I decided to try the Tubi TV app. What confused me was how does one navigate Tubi TV. I clicked on McCloud's Daughters, and an episode started playing but nothing to indicate what episode it was and how to select other episodes. I suppose it is built for tablets and such instead of remotes or keyboards.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I took an old pc, 16 gigs ram, an old i7 gen 3, and as much hdd space as I could shoehorn in with a raid setup to use as an "android" box. it comfortably runs kodi, plex, emby, ums, and jellyfish. I stream from several providers like Netflix, Disney, hulu, sling, crackle, tubi, pluto, xumo, the cw, and many others.
    Quote Quote