VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. My Sister has a Nintendo Wii that stopped working we think it is the dvd drive. I found instructions on how to replace that on the YouTube. They stopped making the Wii and you can just by used ones now. We don't want to upgrade to the newest consule. I think a lot of us consumers would appreciate Nintendo making a Rom that we can legally buy and not have to buy the consule itself. For a gift I bought her the Nintendo Wii version of Super Mario All Stars. When it comes to Nintendo we mostly stuck to Super Mario, though my Sister also had Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy and then there was the Bowling Game that came with the Nintendo Wii.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I just noticed that the Skystream 3 is out, sporting somewhat enhanced hardware specs . . . but for this new model they have entirely dropped their (curated) version of Kodi, which had offered much of what the Dragon Box claimed to do. The price is lower vs. the model 2 ($100. from Amazon for the 3, or about $70. direct from the mfr.), and I suppose this means that the 3 is strictly a player now, competing with others that have been discussed here. I don't know if you can still side-load your own Kodi -- and customize it as you see fit -- but the answer is likely in the affirmative. Will have to check some reviews for more info. Meanwhile, if they can still be found in stock (from third party sellers), the model 2 has doubled in price to nearly $400. That will be money down the drain if they choose to also drop that model's development and support for their own formerly "unleashed" 'Media Center' firmware, which used to receive regular updates.

In the wake of their getting squashed by Big Content, the Dragon Box bookmarks that I had now take you to an outfit selling CBD oil products. So, the folks who shelled out big for Dragon Box and their subscription services are truly screwed. But, if one gave it any thought at all, this should not have come as a great big shock to either Dragon Box (given the careless way in which they promoted the product) nor to the purchasers.

This market won't be exterminated so easily though, I betcha.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think these questions will probably fall under the heading of the Android boxes. If anyone is quite familiar with the Nvidia Shield, which is the preferred model (even if it's not the latest one), probably in terms of processor, RAM, ports, firmware, supported features etc. I see two main models listed on Amazon, and more than that here

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Nvidia+Shield&_sacat=0

The answer is not always obvious: I have the Amazon Fire TV 1st. Gen., which I find preferable, in that their subsequent model dropped some ports and features. (The WD Live models went through a lot of changes also, with some later firmwares introducing freezes and other bugs, along with additional features.) Is there a particular Shield firmware level that is to be preferred ?

Are these a good choice for HEVC / X265 playback ?

And is the Nvidia one of those that do not allow the side-loading of Kodi ?

Some things I have read seem to suggest there is a way to have this as part of a chain (including attached portable HDD) such that you can Record & save program content with it ??
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    I think these questions will probably fall under the heading of the Android boxes. If anyone is quite familiar with the Nvidia Shield, which is the preferred model (even if it's not the latest one), probably in terms of processor, RAM, ports, firmware, supported features etc. I see two main models listed on Amazon, and more than that here

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Nvidia+Shield&_sacat=0

The answer is not always obvious: I have the Amazon Fire TV 1st. Gen., which I find preferable, in that their subsequent model dropped some ports and features. (The WD Live models went through a lot of changes also, with some later firmwares introducing freezes and other bugs, along with additional features.) Is there a particular Shield firmware level that is to be preferred ?
    Get the latest version, currently the 2017 Shield. The 2015 Shield, which is still expensive as a refurb, had only a game controller included, and the remote was a separate purchase. The other differences are that the 2015 Shield is physically larger and has a micro SD slot.

The Shield hardware itself is the same for all of the 2017 Shield models except for the included storage. All have 3GB of RAM. Shield TV Pro has a 500 GB hard drive built-in for Plex Media Server, plus storing games and apps. The other models have only 16GB available for storing games and apps. All models permit using one external storage device at a time for removable storage of files other than games or apps. That external storage device could be a USB 3.0 flash drive or a USB 3.0 hard drive. The other differences are the included accessories: remote control, game controller, or SmartThings Link. The Shield stand must normally be purchased separately but may be included as a promotional item at times.

Yes. There is decent support for 4K 10-bit HEVC with HDR-10. It includes an HDMI 2.0b port supporting 4K UltraHD at 24/25/30/50/60 Hz (with (HDMI-CEC, HDCP 2.2, 10-bit color & HDR10 / Rec. 2020 HDR) However, the Shield doesn't support HLG, Dolby Vision, or HDR10+.

Installing Kodi is straightforward. https://kodi.wiki/view/NVIDIA_SHIELD_TV

Some things I have read seem to suggest there is a way to have this as part of a chain (including attached portable HDD) such that you can Record & save program content with it ??
    Recording isn't supported except under specific circumstances. If you have one of the supported Silicondust HDHomerun tuners and subscribe to their DVR service (still under development for recording copy-once content), it is possible to record copy-freely content supplied by those tuners. Watching live TV with Android TV's Live Channels app is also possible if one has a supported Silicondust HDHomerun tuner.

[Edit]Plex Live TV and Plex DVR is also supposed to work for recording TV from a supported tuner but I know much less about that. See https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4471/~/how-to-set-up-plex-live-tv-...r-on-shield-tv
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Mar 2019 at 12:52.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    ...and I suppose this means that the 3 is strictly a player now, competing with others that have been discussed here.
    No, the Skystream Three still plays everything, just as earlier models. And it's quite a bit cheaper as compared to the earlier models, as you noted. I'd highly recommend paying extra for the airmouse remote, though, as the included remote is crap.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Get the latest version, currently the 2017 Shield. The 2015 Shield, which is still expensive as a refurb, had only a game controller included, and the remote was a separate purchase. The other differences are that the 2015 Shield is physically larger and has a micro SD slot.

The Shield hardware itself is the same for all of the 2017 Shield models except for the included storage. All have 3GB of RAM. Shield TV Pro has a 500 GB hard drive built-in for Plex Media Server, plus storing games and apps. The other models have only 16GB available for storing games and apps. All models permit using one external storage device at a time for removable storage of files other than games or apps. That external storage device could be a USB 3.0 flash drive or a USB 3.0 hard drive. The other differences are the included accessories: remote control, game controller, or SmartThings Link. The Shield stand must normally be purchased separately but may be included as a promotional item at times.

Yes. There is decent support for 4K 10-bit HEVC with HDR-10. It includes an HDMI 2.0b port supporting 4K UltraHD at 24/25/30/50/60 Hz (with (HDMI-CEC, HDCP 2.2, 10-bit color & HDR10 / Rec. 2020 HDR) However, the Shield doesn't support HLG, Dolby Vision, or HDR10+.

Installing Kodi is straightforward. https://kodi.wiki/view/NVIDIA_SHIELD_TV

Recording isn't supported except under specific circumstances. If you have one of the supported Silicondust HDHomerun tuners and subscribe to their DVR service (still under development for recording copy-once content), it is possible to record copy-freely content supplied by those tuners. Watching live TV with Android TV's Live Channels app is also possible if one has a supported Silicondust HDHomerun tuner.

[Edit]Plex Live TV and Plex DVR is also supposed to work for recording TV from a supported tuner but I know much less about that. See https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4471/~/how-to-set-up-plex-live-tv-...r-on-shield-tv
    Thanks, that was definitely helpful. It almost sounds like one of these could to some extent cover much of the territory of a HTPC, if properly equipped and set up. (?) Well, no optical drive that you'd probably have in a HTPC, and I'm not sure about playback from one's network . . . but I get enough of that from an attached portable HDD.

I never delved into it, but I thought I saw some mention under Kodi apps of either apps or services that allowed you to record and save some content ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    ...and I suppose this means that the 3 is strictly a player now, competing with others that have been discussed here.
    No, the Skystream Three still plays everything, just as earlier models. And it's quite a bit cheaper as compared to the earlier models, as you noted. I'd highly recommend paying extra for the airmouse remote, though, as the included remote is crap.
    But it looks like they did drop their own curated version of Kodi -- with a lot of the apps & channels that got some mfr.s into trouble. They seem to be continuing to update that, at least for the moment.

I have the Sky Two in one viewing location, and the older Sky One in another. One of 'em has that gyro dual-sided keyboard, the other has the Ri-8 substitute keyboard. I'm not seeing any strong, immediate reason to pick up the Model Three. But as a hobbyist who likes to keep up with whatever is going on, I may want to check out the Nvidia Shield. Of my various streaming boxes, right now the only one that has been a suitable candidate for X265 playback is the Sky Two. Nix on that for the Amazon Fire TV, not sure about the Roku Ultra. Part of the problem can also be software. I liked the way that the older WD Live just handled everything built in, via its firmware. (It won't do the high compression codecs though.) For the later boxes you are apt to need a software player also, and even recent VLC may not be up to the task. The alternate software players like MX don't seem to be as good as VLC . . . but I may not have enough experience with them either.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM

Thanks, that was definitely helpful. It almost sounds like one of these could to some extent cover much of the territory of a HTPC, if properly equipped and set up. (?) Well, no optical drive that you'd probably have in a HTPC, and I'm not sure about playback from one's network . . . but I get enough of that from an attached portable HDD.

I never delved into it, but I thought I saw some mention under Kodi apps of either apps or services that allowed you to record and save some content ?
    The Shield can access media files on network attached storage: https://www.androidcentral.com/how-mount-network-storage-nvidia-shield-tv Kodi for Android might allow the Shield to play media files stored on Windows PCs that are set up for file sharing.

Kodi's Wiki doesn't list any Android-compatible TV back ends, but it's always possible that the Wiki is out of date. From https://kodi.wiki/view/PVR_recording_software
    1.1 Android
    We are sorry to have to inform you there are unfortunately not yet any generically compatible PVR backend software applications that run natively on Android and have a PVR client addon for Kodi. Android is currently only added here on this page because requests and enquiries about PVR backends for Android that are compatible with Kodi are one of the most frequently asked questions.

If you want to get access to Live TV, EPG and the other PVR features in Kodi running on Android today, then you currently either need to use an IPTV (Internet TV) client or use a workaround such as running your PVR backend on another computer or appliance/device on your local network in order to stream the video to Kodi running on Android, (you can, for example, run PVR backend (PVR server) software on a Raspberry Pi or mini-PC).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

After sifting through your reply -- along with some other online reviews & commentary -- I decided to get the 2015 model, which is a used one. I wanted to have the Micro-SD card feature . . . though if this cannot be used jointly and in tandem with a USB HDD or flashdrive (as at least a couple other of my Android boxes allow), that might have been for naught. I think I read that firmware updates would put this model on an even footing with the 2017 model ? I'll be curious to see how this unit fares with various file formats whose support or lack thereof I've been tracking on a number of these streaming boxes. Particularly after the features disappointments of the Roku Ultra. (No portable HDD support, unless you use a powered USB hub; no support for ISO, which the much older and off-the-market WD Live handled with aplomb; other unsupported formats.) By all reports, the Shield should do much better.

As you had mentioned, this 2015 model came only with the game controller, which is of scant interest to me. So, I'll have to acquire a remote separately. (Unless one of those Rii or other wireless mini-keyboards would readily suffice for this ?) But from what I'm reading online, reviews for the rechargeable Shield remote (100 bucks -- are they kidding ?!) are generally looking terrible. Lots of problems apparently, and dead by around the time the warranty on it is up. In that case, and if it is fully compatible plus escaping these issues, I would try to get one of the later Shield remotes that runs on the replaceable coin-cell batteries. Have to see if this can be ordered from Nvidia as a part.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pending some further insight on the Shield remotes or alternatives, this one was suggested to me:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332354723264?ul_noapp=true

(I'm thinking that the 2015 Shield would have been considered what they are calling "1st. Gen." ?)
    Quote Quote  
  11. I don't know about using it with the Shield, but we have been using a pair of those remotes remotes our TVs (Windows Media Center + cablecard), A/V Receiver, Raspberry Pi (Kodi), DVD/BD players, Roku (IR version), etc. for several years. They are very good.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't know about using it with the Shield, but we have been using a pair of those remotes remotes our TVs (Windows Media Center + cablecard), A/V Receiver, Raspberry Pi (Kodi), DVD/BD players, Roku (IR version), etc. for several years. They are very good.
    Thanks. I believe the Shield models appear on their list of supported devices. (May require a download from their database -- not sure.)
    Quote Quote  
  13. note that remote need a ir adapter for it to work..

there are a lot of bt remotes as well android apps for phone droid devices to make them remotes
    Last edited by teodz1984; 15th Jul 2019 at 07:18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by teodz1984 View Post
    note that remote need a ir adapter for it to work..

there are a lot of bt remotes as well android apps for phone droid devices to make them remotes
    The write-up on it said the adapter was needed for some Shield models, but not for all of them (?)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The write-up on it said the adapter was needed for some Shield models, but not for all of them (?)
    The 2017 versions of the Shield TV use Bluetooth remotes and game controllers, so an IR receiver must be purchased to use them with an IR-based universal remote. The 2015 versions of the Shield TV have an IR receiver built-in and can be used with an IR-based universal remote.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3699/~/what-ir-universal-remotes-a...-tv-%282015%29
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 2017 versions of the Shield TV use Bluetooth remotes and game controllers, so an IR receiver must be purchased to use them with an IR-based universal remote. The 2015 versions of the Shield TV have an IR receiver built-in and can be used with an IR-based universal remote.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3699/~/what-ir-universal-remotes-a...-tv-%282015%29
    Thanks for that confirmation. It was my impression that the 2015 model was what I see also being referred to as the "Gen. 1." The built-in IR is another reason why it may have been the better choice for me. I'm hoping that the RAM quantity and processor performance will be similar. I put a spare 128 GB Class-10 Micro-SD card in, but have not explored the use of that yet. Other Android boxes I have used detect these cards and will start making use of them automatically. Still wondering if this will be an "Either / Or" but not both proposition, in regard to the USB ports for flashdrive or HDD. Some other streamer boxes let you use both. I'm told that the coin cell 2017 remote also works, and may want to try that as well, if it can be ordered separately. The Interset remote is on order. So far, the Rii mini-keyboard has been covering the most basic functions. I also have a 9 year old Harmony 880 that I mothballed a long time ago, having found it to be more trouble getting used to than my native device remotes, but I may give that another look too. Most likely it needs some software & database downloads.

I appreciate your help.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

From the Inteset 4-in-1 Universal Backlit IR Learning Remote description:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nvidia Shield

The device code for Nvidia Shield in the INT422-3 is "04918". The 2nd Gen Standard Nvidia Shield requires an IReTV IR Receiver (sold seperately). The Pro & 1st Gen still have IR Receivers built in so you do not need the IReTV.

IReTV IR Receiver with the INT422-3 Remote

Intesets new IReTV IR Receiver (sold seperately) lets you access all of the features of Fire TV -Including Cube, Stick & Pendant (Cube, Stick & Pendant requires a "Y" Cable-Not Provided), Nvidia Shield (2nd Gen Standard), Kodi, Raspberry Pi using Kodi and Media Center with no programming or downloads. Device codes are available at our Code Lookup page. We can provide information about the "Y" Cable and Set-up diagram needed for the Fire TV Cube, Stick & Pendant.
    Quote Quote  
  17. The Android Box overall is quite a useful piece of technology. My Sister plays Candy Crush offline. I rarely hook the ethernet cord in these days. She has her games and she can watch videos off of her portable hard drive. I find Kodi has the best player for watching the videos as I find it easier to turn on and off subtitles. Also the Kodi Player shows you the chapters in your video backup and you can access them to skip ahead in the video. I find if I hook the ethernet cable in for long some of the games uninstall themselves and then you have to download them again. My Sister is on level 77 in Candy Crush and she definitely doesn't want to start all over again.
    Quote Quote  
  18. apps don't usually Uninstall by themselves
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by teodz1984 View Post
    apps don't usually Uninstall by themselves
    My Sister is developmentally disabled so what happens when I have the Android Box hooked into the Internet, then she gets all these pop up ads and such and somehow she clicks on one that uninstalls the game. As long as the game functions offline, I am content with that.

Besides for my personal taste, I don't enjoy the web surfing and going to websites via the Android Box, as a computer does it so much better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What video player for Android or for Kodi covers most video formats and handles them well ? Tried MX a bit, and was not that impressed with it, compared to the options we have for Windows desktop players. Also found a Potplayer .APK dated 2017, which I have not tried out, as I think the source is rather suspect.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What video player for Android or for Kodi covers most video formats and handles them well ?
    VLC is the only android player I've found that can handle subtitles reliably, but I haven't looked at alternatives for a few years.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I had install Windows 7 via dism using Windows 10 executed from USB, then reboot and wait with a black screen until the driver would load during the installation. But as long as you modify the .inf file, you lose the signature, therefore Windows won't load the driver during installation.Good to see the great comments here
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I knew there was something I had forgotten to ask you. I'm not finding any battery compartment on the game controller (which replaced a remote for some models), nor do I think there was any charger that came with it. So, how is it powered, and how do you keep it powered ? If I'm missing something there, a picture might help.

This query is mainly for future reference: I don't do gaming, and it is looking like that Interset remote is going to be the best of all options. I tried a couple others for the Shield, and they were found wanting.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM

I knew there was something I had forgotten to ask you. I'm not finding any battery compartment on the game controller (which replaced a remote for some models), nor do I think there was any charger that came with it. So, how is it powered, and how do you keep it powered ? If I'm missing something there, a picture might help.

This query is mainly for future reference: I don't do gaming, and it is looking like that Interset remote is going to be the best of all options. I tried a couple others for the Shield, and they were found wanting.
    DuckDuck Go found the FAQ for the game controller at NVIDIA's website, which tells me the following:
    HOW DO I RECHARGE THE SHIELD CONTROLLER?
    It comes with a USB to Micro-USB cable that can be used to recharge the controller from any powered USB port. Any Micro-USB cable can be used.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

DuckDuck Go found the FAQ for the game controller at NVIDIA's website, which tells me the following:
    HOW DO I RECHARGE THE SHIELD CONTROLLER?
    It comes with a USB to Micro-USB cable that can be used to recharge the controller from any powered USB port. Any Micro-USB cable can be used.
    Thanks. I'll take a closer look at it. Any such charging port must have eluded me previously.
    Quote Quote  
  26. If you want to use like Android TV box almost all of the Chinese clones which use Amlogic s9x chip can can do it with help of good firmware https://www.atvxperience.com/ and then you can control them trough your mobile device ( ether Android or ios) trough https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.tv.remote&hl=en you can even use voice control trough your mobile (instead of paying for the expensive ones that has built in to the box like nvidia shield) from mine experience they work great. If you install Kodi you got even more options and it can be controlled trough https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.xbmc.kore&hl=en (which is available on android and ios ) whit this you can see the videos and pictures directly on your smart phone r tablet and played them directly from there.
    All in all very pleasant experience for home cinema ( games and aps on android are bonus) which suppresses any httpc or expensive boxes
    Quote Quote  
  27. not all chinese boxes are detected by the android tv remote.. i use cetus tv remote on my box
    Quote Quote  
  28. My Sister lost the cable she used to charge her mini-keyboard from the Android Box. I am getting myself a Prepaid Visa Card to do some shopping soon; so exactly what kind of cable do I need to buy? Thank you in advance for the answer to this question.
    Quote Quote  
  29. My mini keyboards have Mini USB connectors, and they charge from a standard USB ports. This type of cable:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-2-0-Cable-Male/dp/B00NH13S44/
    Quote Quote  
  30. jagabo: Thank you. I think I will buy that one and the six foot one as well.
    Quote Quote