VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12
FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12
Thread
  1. BTW, I looked for CTV, and CBC Gem in the Google TV store -- they weren't there. There was a CTV News app only. This could be a regional issue though (I'm in the USA). Or maybe you can sideload the Android TV apps.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    wonder if the dual-sided gyro remote w/ keypad on one side might be a viable choice here as well ?
    I have a remote with a keyboard and gyro mouse so I tried it out on the Chromecast with Google TV (an external a USB C PD hub for this as the Chromecast has only one USB C port that's normally used to power the device). The gyro mouse works but I don't think Google TV is really set up for one. You can move the gyro pointer around the screen and select things with a button click but it doesn't scroll when you move the mouse off the edge of the screen. You have to use the arrow keys for that. (This particular gyro mouse is really crappy. The pointer slowly moves up the screen when you set it down. Motion isn't real consistent, etc., overall pretty useless.)
    Just went to check. The one I have is the Minix AirMouse-1. I think there may have been some copycat knock-offs of this, but the Minix may have been the best of breed -- unless some newer, better model has come along since. It seemed to have been popular, as Amazon was frequently out of stock on it, and that well predated the pandemic.

[Update: may have been a bit mistaken on the exact model #. Amazon showing "currently unavailable", but this seems to be the one, still showing as available from NewEgg:
    https://www.newegg.com/minix-neo-a3-airmouse-with-voice-input-2-4g-wireless-air-mouse/...173-00YS-00002 -- but I don't think mine had voice input yet. Not a fan of that feature anyway, have it disabled for Shield & Roku.]

I had to pretty much give up on the Rii mini-keyboards, as they were not reliable for long, and all too soon lost the ability to recharge.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 9th Nov 2021 at 21:25.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, most Android apps are meant for touchscreen devices and don't work well without a touchscreen. You can use any USB mouse/keyboard with the Shield. I use an old USB mini keyboard/trackpad I had sitting around with my Chromecast/GoogleTV. Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Miritz-Wireless-Keyboard-Touchpad-Control/dp/B01LZIIH24/

The trackpad is pretty crappy but I use it mainly for entering text.
    As far as control you can download (available for ios android) official android tv remote app which lets you control the box without the remote ( I use it on two boxes one in living room one in bedroom next floor )which changed couple of firmware's from official android tv 7 to 10 to some very nice custom firmware's for s905x/x2) and the best thing is you can use the voice control of your mobile phone to search even without looking at the TV. As far as kodi goes there are some very awesome remote apps like Kore for example with it you can control every file video audio tv channels youtube ets and ets all on your phone without being in the same room with the box and it works on almost any cheep Chinese box. I stopped using the original remotes couple of years back. This method of controlling the box for me is far more convenient than using keyboard or remote( and yes you can turn on/off the box over the WiFi)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Incidentally, a friend complained to me that recent iterations of the top Roku model will not allow you to install VLC on them (from the Google Play store), severely hampering video file playback options.
    I have a Roku Ultra that I got about 18 months ago. VLC is not available at the Play Store.
    And I just made the huge mistake of updating the native software (firmware ?) on my older Roku, to the current level. It threw up this unfortunate note, and wiped out the installed VLC -- and probably some other stuff from the Play Store that I'm not recalling at the moment. Had I known this would happen, I would not have allowed the update to proceed. But I suppose we'll never know whether they could / would have invalidated the installed Play Store apps regardless. That might have been a possibility. This is far from trivial, because any software video player Roku provides really sucks, in comparison to VLC. I still have VLC on my first gen Amazon Fire TV, and the officially semi-abandoned Skystream boxes -- and of course it remains available on the Nvidia Shield.

That still leaves open the question of whether the VLC apk could be side-loaded. But if there's any chance of brick-ing the box by so doing, I'd be hesitant.

[Attachment 59773 - Click to enlarge]

[Not sure how that came out upside down from the upload, but if I can edit this to correct that I will. The orientation looks right in my photo viewer program.]
    Google removed its Play Movies and TV app from every Roku and most smart TVs beginning on July 15. Users with Roku, Samsung, LG, or Vizio devices had to switch to the YouTube app to get access to movies or TV shows that they bought or rented through the Google Play Store according to the link below:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/12/22380593/google-play-movies-tv-app-smart-tvs-roku-s...outube-support
    While they apparently happen to be the 1200 lb. gorilla in terms of streaming box market share, and to have the simplest UI for the generally clueless user, I have to say flat out that Roku SUCKS !!! From the very first setup-but-you-MUST-FIRST-Register-a-credit-card-account-with-us if you actually want to use it, to their excessively restrictive lockdown procedures and policies, to withdrawing key items you had previously loaded and were using, and now to this latest affront:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk0Oq8O4HwA

Dropping YT will simply be huge, leaving one gigantic void.

No chance for having Kodi, of course. Roku insists on micro-managing everything, down to the tiniest detail.

The erasure of VLC leaves this platform with no video player that is anywhere near as good. And their choice of two supported browsers we never heard of is pathetic. Their very limited app store is quite inferior to the paltry selection found in the Google Play Store -- although the latter can be spoofed for Android devices, much expanding the selection. I can't think of anything that Roku offers which cannot be done as well or better by three of the competing streaming boxes that I own, without being hemmed in at every turn by arbitrarily imposed limitations. So now you can see why several months go by in between the occasions when I might fire up the Roku.

The possibility of any side loading of apps is also going away. (It turns out that Roku OS is some proprietary Linux variant, more related to IOS, and not Android-based, as many had supposed. I didn't realize that until I looked it up)

I'd love to see them getting hammered by the competition . . . but that ain't gonna happen.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 19th Nov 2021 at 15:42.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dropping YT will simply be huge, leaving one gigantic void.
    [Edi]I see now that I missed your YT link that says that Roku made the decision to drop YouTube due to an ongoing spat with Google.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Nov 2021 at 20:36.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In search of better, more recent info, I'm going to again wonder aloud whether the Skystream Co. is still breathing -- in any meaningful fashion ? My models ONE and TWO stopped receiving any updates quite awhile ago. (Nvidia Shield seems to be the only streamer / player device that kept receiving software updates -- even going back to their original 2015 models ! That is impressive.) The apparent last Skystream model, the SkyStream PRO 8K Streaming Media Player, https://www.skystreamx.com, is listed as Sold Out. That could be a byproduct of the pandemic, either due to demand or to supply chain issues, or maybe not ? There is some model I never heard of, the SKYSTREAM NETWORKS 820400 MICRO EMR-1600, being sold used on eBay. But otherwise, all else is silence. Per a previous report here, the prior model THREE was said to be a a capable, all-formats media player . . . but which had dropped the streaming side.

Just out of curiosity, if anyone reading this had the discontinued and driven-off-the-market Dragon Box, does it still turn on or do anything ?
    Quote Quote