VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab All-in-One and rip streaming video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11
FirstFirst ... 9 10 11
Thread
  1. Turning a Rasberry Pi into a media sever with Plex:

https://youtu.be/5wzSbqQgRS0

I am practically drooling over that great price he paid for that 8 TB hard drive. When he says "as long as Raspberry Pi is online" when it comes to Plex the various devices can connect to it. So does that mean the internet has to be running; you can't just the router stream it around? I would rather be offline and streaming. Though I have to learn all these things because as much as I want to have a media server and a raspberry pi and the list goes on; I have other things that come before these luxuries.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    When he says "as long as Raspberry Pi is online" when it comes to Plex the various devices can connect to it. So does that mean the internet has to be running; you can't just the router stream it around?
    I don't know about using Plex. But this is one reason I prefer to use a dumb file server. The server just shares files across the LAN -- it doesn't know or care what they are. It's up to the clients to know what to do with them. No internet access needed.
    Last edited by jagabo; 18th Dec 2020 at 09:13.
    Quote Quote  
  3. jagabo: Thank you for your input. Thank you to you and all the other posters here at VideoHelp who give advice and share their knowledge the whole year round. Seasons Greetings and know that a whole lot of people including myself are thankful and grateful for all that we learn here.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    When he says "as long as Raspberry Pi is online" when it comes to Plex the various devices can connect to it. So does that mean the internet has to be running; you can't just the router stream it around?
    I don't know about using Plex. But this is one reason I prefer to use a dumb file server. The server just shares files across the LAN -- it doesn't know or care what they are. It's up to the clients to know what to do with them. No internet access needed.
    But you'd still need to have a computer (or NAS) running 24/7, something I have avoided doing, and not because of the cost of electricity. Even what passes for Enterprise class HDDs these days won't keep running indefinitely under that regime. My router is always ON though, of course. In these parts, where power is under threat of being cut by the utility when high winds / high fire danger periods occur, or during parts of the summer when the grid is being stressed, the utility likes to keep advising us to unplug everything that is not absolutely essential. Yeah, well -- "F" that ! It's just not practical -- or even particularly smart -- in the so tech-dependent world we live in.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    But you'd still need to have a computer (or NAS) running 24/7, something I have avoided doing, and not because of the cost of electricity. Even what passes for Enterprise class HDDs these days won't keep running indefinitely under that regime.
    I just replaced a 2TB Seagate drive in my file server that runs 24/7.
    I write the date on the drive at the moment I install it and it goes into service...the date on this one was September 2011.
    I was having problems mounting the drive on about half of the boots, so I decided better safe than sorry and replaced it, although I do regular full image backups of all drives.
    Sometimes you get lucky and end up with a quite resilient piece of hardware.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    But you'd still need to have a computer (or NAS) running 24/7, something I have avoided doing, and not because of the cost of electricity. Even what passes for Enterprise class HDDs these days won't keep running indefinitely under that regime.
    I just replaced a 2TB Seagate drive in my file server that runs 24/7.
    I write the date on the drive at the moment I install it and it goes into service...the date on this one was September 2011.
    I was having problems mounting the drive on about half of the boots, so I decided better safe than sorry and replaced it, although I do regular full image backups of all drives.
    Sometimes you get lucky and end up with a quite resilient piece of hardware.
    That's an interesting report. Some readers here go back quite a ways (as do I) and may recall the SCSI HDDs ? I ran several of the top of the line, Enterprise class IBM ones that used to be made in Hungary. I think their official MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) spec was huge. (They did require special controllers, adapters, and drivers, which in retrospect now seems a nuisance. Of course, their capacity back then was not anywhere near the TB range, but the stuff we ran in those days was also nowhere near as demanding on storage space as is commonly the case in more recent years.) Some of them ran 24/7 for extended periods. I ran a few of these for about as long as you mentioned; not one of them ever failed, although I did retire a few for semi-obsolescence concerns. Their capacity or speed was no longer up to prevailing standards. Anyone recall those 15,000 RPM HDDs (regular IDE ?) that were pricey but in vogue for awhile ? I still have one of those, in a long retired computer, and I'm guessing that it would probably still work just fine.

HDDs got a lot cheaper (along with the capacities going way up), and so must be being manufactured a lot cheaper. The point of my post was my wondering whether these could still have the sort of durability I experienced with those mentioned above ? A partial answer may be that in all the many WD Black (Made in Thailand) internal HDDs -- and also the portable ones, like the Passport series -- which I've been buying for years, I have not had any failures. But then none of these are being run 24/7 . . . .

[Those full image backups of important boot or storage drives is a very good idea. I do that, but could and probably should do it more often.]
    Last edited by Seeker47; 19th Dec 2020 at 11:36.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Anyone having problems with the YouTube App on the Android Boxes? On my Mom's box last night the videos stopped playing. Today some are playing others just have a black screen with no video or audio playing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. On the device I currently use, Chromecast with Google TV (the best device under US$150), I tried a dozen or so random videos. They all played normally. Do you have a link to a particular video that's giving you problems?

I happen to have my old TX3 mini set up for some other testing. The preinstalled Youtube app on that device isn't working anymore. I just says "An error occurred" when it starts up. All I can do is exit. I tried to remove it but it wouldn't uninstall. So went to the Play store and installed a new version. The new version appears to work normally -- though it's a tablet version, not an Android TV version (it needs a mouse, or mouse emulation).
    Quote Quote  
  9. jagabo: Thank you for the information you have provided and wanting to help. I did try some stuff like clearing the cache and such for the YouTube app.

In the Google Store it will allow me to uninstall all the YouTube updates. Maybe I could do that and reinstall them hoping it gets back to functioning the way it should. I can watch YouTube via the Chrome Browser App but that isn't as convenient.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, the videos that come up as recommended because of what I have watched in the past those are not playing. Last evening they all were playing fine and then something happened and I haven't a clue what that was.

I am a wrestling fan so I have been watching quite a few of the AEW preview clips and my Mom has chosen Orange Cassidy as her favorite wrestler so we watch a lot of videos with him. I listen to these Jim Cornett talking about Wrestling even though he says stuff that would make a sailor blush; well a cartoon still picture and you hear him and the other guy talking. Well none of the videos plays now.

I hadn't realized how much I enjoy YouTube actually working and I miss it now when it is hit and miss. I watch a lot of Tiny House videos to and none of the "Living Big In A Tiny House" videos are playing for me. I click on the video and some writing comes up "includes a paid promotion" and the screen is black otherwise and you click on the play button in the middle to no avail.

Thankfully Tubi TV and the CTV Throwback App are working alright. Hopefully the YouTube App gets updated again and it fixes whatever has went wrong. It is such a weird box with a weird operating system and the Google Play Store has few apps to chose from.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Going into Google Play finding the YouTube app and selecting uninstall updates seems to have fixed it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Another streaming option and this has the official Android TV I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzm_BsPtoGE

We have Netflix and Disney Plus now. Netflix works well on my Sister's Blu Ray player. Disney Plus works on my Mom's Android Box. Netflix doesn't work on my Mom's Android Box.
    Quote Quote