VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and copy Ultra HD Blu-rays and DVDs! Or rip iTunes movies and music! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10
FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
Thread
  1. We are returning the Winnova Tablet to Amazon Canada. Hopefully it all works out well. My Sister who bought it is suppose to get a refund if everything works out. This is the first time we ever returned something to Amazon Canada.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    jagabo: I ran across a YouTube video where a guy put Kodi on it, he did find Kodi in the Play Store and he installed it.
    Now that you mention it, I think the reviewer I saw did download Kodi from the Google app store.

Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    then after that he went the other root and went into the Kodi settings and downloaded some repository. I remember he pressed a button seven times for whatever reason.
    We must have seen the same video(s). The multiple taps was to enable developer mode, which enables side loading -- installing apps from sources other than Google's app store. It's annoying that side loaded apps do not show up in the main app list. You have to load another app that lets you see and run all the side loaded apps.

I won't get one of these devices because I would have to get a USB hub to add the functionality I would would want and remember Canadian prices are higher to begin with.
    Yes that was annoying too. Not having a barrel connector for power probably saved them 5 cents in manufacturing costs. Lack of an Ethernet port was another shortcoming for me. I saw that you can use a powered USB hub and an Ethernet-to-USB adapter but what a frankenstein of a setup.

I am having enough grief with Mom's tablet. It will charge briefly then stop charging then if I wiggle the cord a bit it will charge again then it starts charging and it can be a matter of seconds then it stops charging again. The most I have been able to get it to is 35 percent. But it seems Winnovo is just about the cheapest tablet out there and if I had known this it would not have been ordered.
    You should return that thing if you still can. At least send it in for repairs if it's still under warranty.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    We are returning the Winnova Tablet to Amazon Canada. Hopefully it all works out well. My Sister who bought it is suppose to get a refund if everything works out. This is the first time we ever returned something to Amazon Canada.
    I didn't see this before making my previous post. I've only returned a few items over the years but I've never had any problems with returns at Amazon.com. The last time I printed out a one page return order and took it to the FedEx store thinking I'd have to pack it up, fill out the usual FedEx packing slip, etc. When I got there the guy at the counter took the item and the return order and they did everything. No shipping fees, no re-stocking fee, nothing!
    Quote Quote  
  4. jagabo: I don't have a printer but I talked to a Lady I know and she was kind enough to print out the labels for me. The Lady at the local Post Office was a great help at getting it all ready to be returned. If it gets to Mississauga before October 30th, 2020 my Sister is suppose to get a refund which goes back on to the prepaid gift card. I hope all that works out, they might now allow it to be put back on a prepaid Mastercard. Hopefully if that doesn't work out they can put the money into something at Amazon on my Sister's account. I have heard of an Amazon Wallet.

I should be thankful this problem arose before the thirty day return had expired. I tried to the best of my ability to get it to charge but that was adjusting that cable I didn't open it up or anything.

Thank you for your input.

My Sister was given an iPad and got locked out of it because she put the wrong security code in it too many times. If we could get it hooked to iTunes we could get it on locked. I couldn't get iTunes set up on either my Sister's laptop or my laptop and probably that is a blessing as I have heard it screws one's computer up.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for posting this Lon Seidman review of the Chromecast with Google TV. Now I am tempted to buy a Chromecast with Google TV to play with.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. usually_quiet: You are welcome!
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo:
    My Sister was given an iPad and got locked out of it because she put the wrong security code in it too many times. If we could get it hooked to iTunes we could get it on locked. I couldn't get iTunes set up on either my Sister's laptop or my laptop and probably that is a blessing as I have heard it screws one's computer up.
    If you took that Ipad to an Apple Store (although must note that these have shut down a few times due to status of the pandemic here -- maybe a better situation in Canada ?), I would hope that they might help with that situation. And if there is any reluctance on their part to do so, as a general principle I always try to frame things along the lines of "I've been a good customer, have recommended you to others etc. . . . , do you want me to continue being a customer for the long haul ? / this has some impact on the standing of your brand." That type of approach seems to work more often than not. (But it probably would not work with some very minor brand or fly-by-night outfit.) I have noted with some curiosity that different Apple stores in our area seem to have logged highly varying reviews on Yelp, compared to each other. In that case, I'd tend to drive the longer distance to the location that had the much better reviews, all other things being equal. In fact I have done that, seeking some help regarding my older Ipad. (Reference my earlier thread here on Ipad accessories.) They were willing to help, but could not do so, because Apple does not make what I needed and they seem to be appallingly ignorant of third-party solutions. With a lot of tedious trial and error ordering stuff from Amazon and eBay, I finally found most of what I needed. So I did in the end get a full-service keyboard working. But still no definitive answer re docks that might be able to multiplex that damned single port In / Out, probably because this tablet was never designed to support that. To get that sort of dual functionality would seem to require a MS Surface or one of its work-alike competitors.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 20th Oct 2020 at 16:37.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Seeker47: Thank you for your post. I live in a rural area so I am quite far away from an Apple Store.

I don't know how soon I will part with the funds to buy a Raspberry Pi but with certain builds they do seem to be able to install iTunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L31kdleRbBo

The issue with my Sister's iPad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrUp9ekD9fE

I see a new iTunes version is out, but if you read down in the comments and elsewhere at VideoHelp iTunes can screw up one's computer. For whatever reason it wouldn't install on my Sister's laptop or my Desktop when I tried it back earlier in the year. I even tried the Microsoft Store and that didn't work.

With these system builds on SD Cards for the Raspberry Pi, I think I would have more confidence about iTunes as one could always put another SD Card in and go back to Raspbian.

I am assuming that Windows 10 WOR system is legal. As for a lot of the other suggestions on YouTube and the Internet to unlock your iPad without iTunes, it involves installing software and how do I know it isn't spyware, ransomware or malware.
    Quote Quote