VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there anyway to make an h265 video "web optimized"? Where the header information is placed at the beginning of the file.
    We have a massive amount of video files that are already converted to h265 from their sources and they are perfectly fine as they are now but I'm certain they never had the -web flag set for them during encoding.

Is there anyway to make them "web optimized" without fully transcoding and damaging them?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Doesn't mp4box do that by default? Try:
    mp4box -add "input.mp4" -new "optimized_output.mp4"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Doesn't mp4box do that by default? Try:
    mp4box -add "input.mp4" -new "optimized_output.mp4"
    It does not appear to by default. If I specify the "-isma -hint" options it then attempts (but fails) to do what I believe I'm looking for. It throws a malloc() error - I will have to test and debug this but maybe even an older version will be better overall.

Thank you sneaker, this may not be working for me right now but it is pretty close
    Quote Quote  
  4. MP4 containers muxed by mp4box are web optimized by default. Files start to play right away without downloading as a whole first. Did not tried MP4 with hevc stream though only h264, not sure if that would make a difference.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I believe MP4Box started automatic web optimization (means, storing e.g. the keyframe index chunk early) with a specific version, so make sure your MP4Box is quite recent (you may use GPAC nightly builds).
    Quote Quote