VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone. I have a .mov file that I want to read the metadata of. I am not sure if the timestamp has been changed (when you right click file and see its info) and I was wondering if anyone knows how to check the metadata. I have googled this but I have little understanding of command prompt etc so if anyone has an app or website they have used I would be very grateful. Jo

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can use exiftool . In windows, you can drop and drag the mov onto the exe without using the commandline

https://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Which "timestamp" were you interested in specifically ? It should reveal file modification/access/creation times for most types of MOV files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi poisondeathray. I will try that now. I am interested on the original date and any modifications and really any info it can tell me about the device it was filmed on etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You can use exiftool . In windows, you can drop and drag the mov onto the exe without using the commandline

https://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Which "timestamp" were you interested in specifically ? It should reveal file modification/access/creation times for most types of MOV files
    Thank you that worked well. The dates are about a day out but maybe that is when ot was transfered from phone to computer or a different timezone. Also do you know if you can change the metadata in this program? Thanks for your help. Jo

Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jochristiaans81 View Post
    Also do you know if you can change the metadata in this program?
    You can for certain file types. There is a list on that site. R=read, W=write. For most types of MOV you can. But that requires commandline usage...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Actually there is a GUI here , worth checking out. The original author made a few posts there as well so that's promising
    http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html
    http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php/topic,2750.0.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by jochristiaans81 View Post
    Also do you know if you can change the metadata in this program?
    You can for certain file types. There is a list on that site. R=read, W=write. For most types of MOV you can. But that requires commandline usage...
    Lol that's what I thought. Might be a bit over my head. I will read the link you sent thank you.

Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Actually there is a GUI here , worth checking out. The original author made a few posts there as well so that's promising
    http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html
    http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php/topic,2750.0.html
    Thanks. I have read quite a few posts but still cant figure out how to change the file creation date to 2013:03:03 7:22:32 with file at c:\testgile.mov . If anyone knows what I need to type in to do this I would be very grateful. Jo

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Could alway use a hex editor with find & replace.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you mean windows Creation date, there is a nifty utility that adds a tab to the properties window that you can use to change the dates of Windows (Created, Modified, Accessed) http://tools.stefankueng.com/SKTimeStamp.html i also posted a program on this site that will change created, modified and tagged, encoded dates if you are wishing to change the Encoded, Tagged dates as well.

[Attachment 44314 - Click to enlarge]

Or you can change Encoded/Tagged using a hex editor as Cornucopia suggested and a binary converter that converts the date in seconds since 01/01/1904 for 64 bit or 01/01/1980 for 32 bit storage.
    [Attachment 44315 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by Budman1; 4th Jan 2018 at 16:05.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Could alway use a hex editor with find & replace.

Scott
    Thanks Cornucopia. I think thats a bit above my ability level lol

Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    If you mean windows Creation date, there is a nifty utility that adds a tab to the properties window that you can use to change the dates of Windows (Created, Modified, Accessed) http://tools.stefankueng.com/SKTimeStamp.html i also posted a program on this site that will change created, modified and tagged, encoded dates if you are wishing to change the Encoded, Tagged dates as well.

[Attachment 44314 - Click to enlarge]

Or you can change Encoded/Tagged using a hex editor as Cornucopia suggested and a binary converter that converts the date in seconds since 01/01/1904 for 64 bit or 01/01/1980 for 32 bit storage.
    [Attachment 44315 - Click to enlarge]
    Thank you Budman for your detailed response. I have tried just a basic date and time modifier that is similiar to the first screenshot but this didnt change all of the date and time entries in the metadata when I checked using exiftool. Your second screenshot might be more what I am after as I doubt exiftool would spot any differences in metadata if I tried making the changes with this second program. Although this program does look like a foreign language to me lol I will give it a try. Thanks once again for taking the time to reply. Jo

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Windows Created/Modified dates can be viewed by right clicking video file and choosing properties General tab (or Timestamp tab if SKTimeStamp is installed)

Metadata can be viewed by using MediaInfo to display information as shown below in a abbreviated version.

Metadata is stored in the 'Atoms' (chunks of an MP4/MOV) MVHD, TKHD and MDHD as shown in my image above. They are stored as a 4 byte binary (Encoded) followed by 4 bytes of binary (Tagged) in each of these locations. The utility at https://www.videohelp.com/software/Change-Date-Time-Batch. will change the Windows Created/Modified date to match the Encoded/Tagged metadata or the reverse, Change the Encoded/Tagged metadata to match the Windows Created OR modified date.

It also has a manual mode where you can enter the date and time and it will set the Windows or the Metadata. All Metadata (General, Video, Audio) will be changed at the same time so they are all the same.

MediaInfo Truncated data of MOV before:
    General
    Complete name : C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\stepteen2.mov
    Format : QuickTime
    Format/Info : Original Apple specifications
    Encoded date : UTC 1998-11-12 18:28:20
    Tagged date : UTC 1998-11-12 18:28:21

Writing library : Apple QuickTime

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : Sorenson 1
    Codec ID : SVQ1
    Codec ID/Info : Sorenson Media Video 1 (Apple QuickTime 3)
    Language : English
    Encoded date : UTC 1998-11-12 18:01:55

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : Qdesign 2
    Codec ID : QDMC
    Codec ID/Info : QDesign Music 2 (old version, rare)
    Codec ID/Hint : (Old)
    Encoded date : UTC 1998-11-12 18:01:55
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    MediaInfo of MOV video AFTER changing Metadata:
    General
    Complete name : C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\_stepteen2.mov
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : QuickTime
    Codec ID : qt 0000.02 (qt )
    Encoded date : UTC 2013-03-03 02:27:32
    Tagged date : UTC 2013-03-03 02:27:32

Writing application : Lavf57.21.101

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : Sorenson 1
    Codec ID : SVQ1
    Codec ID/Info : Sorenson Media Video 1 (Apple QuickTime 3)
    Duration : 28 s 595 ms

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : Qdesign 2
    Codec ID : QDMC
    Alternate group : 1
    Last edited by Budman1; 4th Jan 2018 at 23:26.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Wrong forum. Moving you to Newbie/General Forum.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote