VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do a lot of the following:

I am handed a lot of video clips. Frequently they are in different codecs. My job is to put them together into one coherent video. Usually the job does not involve inserting transitions or titles, just cuts.

A majority of the clips are usually in a particular codec, like h.264 or mpeg2 or whatever. After assessing how many clips are in which codec, and which clips contain the majority of the material I intend to retain in my final edit, I select a particular clip as my codec reference; let us call that my master clip.

I then recode the minority clips to match the codec of my master clip.

I then do my edits.

I use VideoReDo as my editor. Why? Because VideoReDo does smart rendering. I create my final clips for the project. Then I put them all into VideoReDo's Joiner, and I create one complete video. Job done.

Here's my problem today. The majority of the clips I've been handed just now are in VP9. And VideoReDo does not smart render VP9. There is a rival tool which I almost bought instead of VideoReDo which smart renders a few more codecs than VideoReDo, including h.265; that tool is TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer, but that tool is way more picky about files that it will accept in general than VideoReDo which is why I decided a year or two ago to go with VideoReDo. And, in any event, I just checked the TMPGEnc web site and, as far as I can tell, they have still not added VP9 as a supported codec.

So here's my question: What are the applications that will smart render VP9?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One possibility is SolveigMM Video Splitter. I have not tried the software for this purpose myself, but Solveig Multimedia's page for this software lists "WebM" as supported, although VP9 is not mentioned specifically. There is a demo version so you can see if it works for any of your files.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    One possibility is SolveigMM Video Splitter. I have not tried the software for this purpose myself, but Solveig Multimedia's page for this software lists "WebM" as supported, although VP9 is not mentioned specifically. There is a demo version so you can see if it works for any of your files.
    Interesting that you should suggest that. Solveig was one of the finalists in my considerations a while back, when I was first in the hunt for a smart render editor (finally went with VideoReDo, of course). Perhaps it's time I give Solveig a second look; thanks for the suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I'm afraid it did not work out. I installed the demo version and it would not pull it in at all. I read on one of the Solveig forum threads that Solveig also can handle h.265, another area where VideoReDo is lacking, as long as it is contained in .hevc or .ts. So I pulled in a .ts of h.265. It pulled in, but all it got was the audio. So that's that, I guess.
    Quote Quote