VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

I have a problem with ripping my 4x3 dvd's to mp4 using Any DVD Cloner Platinum.
    When I rip an episode that is 4x3 with Dutch sublanguage the result looks good on the computer (VLC) and on the television (Philips HD) but with thick black sidebars.
    When I cut off the upper and lower 64 lines the result is full screen 16x9 but I loose too much of the image.
    But when I cut the upper and lower 32 lines the result looks good in VLC (the black sidebars are half the width and the result looks pretty good).
    Unfortunately the television stretches the image (what I don't want).
    It seems that when the image is not 4x3 then the image is stretched on the television.
    How can I pan the image with small black bars or does anyone knows a solution for my problem?

Wickie
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a compromise , you're willing to sacrifice some of the picture
    to make it more widescreen. Some TV's have a setting to honor the aspect ratio as-is.
    If your TV does not have this, I don't know what to suggest except encode it 16:9
    with the black bars left and right encoded into the picture.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Sounds like a compromise , you're willing to sacrifice some of the picture
    to make it more widescreen. Some TV's have a setting to honor the aspect ratio as-is.
    If your TV does not have this, I don't know what to suggest except encode it 16:9
    with the black bars left and right encoded into the picture.
    It is indeed a compromise and in my opinion for most video's the best one.
    Do you have a suggestion for a free program to do this. The only thing the program has to do is to pad the 14x9 picture to 16x9 with black bars? Then the TV can't zoom it anymore.

Wickie
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a way but it's a little convoluted. Install avisynth and create a simple script. Once you get it set up and working,
    it should be easy to maintain and modify. I'm using directshowsource here (because it's simpler to demonstrate). I have LAV filters
    installed and this down mixes the audio to stereo (at least on my system). I have also turned the video_ts VOB's to an mpg file.
    Create a script and give it the .avs extension. Set the crop and addborders to your liking. At the moment
    I crop 32 top and bottom and add a border left and right of 96. Easy to test these scripts by dropping them onto Virtualdub mod
    You can even encode them in there, you can use any app that accepts .avs scipt as input; Staxrip another option

Code:
    Video = DirectShowSource("I:\test\pal.mpg", fps=25, convertfps=true)#, audio=false)
    Audio = DirectShowSource("I:\test\pal.mpg", video=false)
    video=video.crop(0,32,-0,-32)
    video=video.addborders(96,0,96,0)
    Video = Video.ConvertToYV12()
    AudioDub(Video, Audio)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the advise.
    I have found the programs and begin with them tomorrow.

greetings, Wickie
    Quote Quote