VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm curious what the best choice is for keeping audio lossless when doing x264/x265 MKV. I've just be doing passthrough AC3 or whatever, and it's worked so far. Not sure if FLAC is widely supported by players or not these days, but I was eyeballing that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Passthrough AC3 or any audio codec is better than converting to FLAC, you can't get better quality but size will be bigger. At least I think.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Sephiroth666 View Post
    I'm curious what the best choice is for keeping audio lossless when doing x264/x265 MKV. I've just be doing passthrough AC3 or whatever, and it's worked so far. Not sure if FLAC is widely supported by players or not these days, but I was eyeballing that.
    The best way to retain lossless in an MKV file is just to keep it as is. If you want to reduce the file size a little, convert to FLAC. The problem is that FLAC is not really supported on any home theater equipment, so whether you keep the audio in the original format or convert to FLAC will depend on how you're playing the files. My suggestion would be to try a test file where you keep the original lossless track and then have a second track that is lossless ---> AC3 5.1 640k. My guess is that it will be indistinguishable from lossless. You will also save lots of space.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Bernix is right. If your audio source is AC3, converting it to FLAC will be of no benefit. It will only make the audio bigger and give you a less compatible A/V file.
    Quote Quote