VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

Could someone that was able to master distributed encoding with Ripbot264 please be so kind to guide me on how to set this up properly on two machines - one running Win 7 64 and the other Win 10 64? I tried researching it but couldn't find any current information except for one incomplete Youtube video that is no help and another guide that supposedly is great but unfortunately the link no longer works - http://www.thehtpc.net/htpc-tips-and...uted-encoding/

Thank you in advance, Safe Holidays and Happy New Year!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. What part of that video you do not understand?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Atak_Snajpera,

Thank you for responding and sorry for the delayed response but I wanted to analyze the tutorial video again and give things a try before responding. I think I understand it now but unfortunately it doesn't appear to be working for me. Here is my setup and what I did.

The setup are two machines:

1) running Win 7 64 and already encoded a video on this machine with Ripbot264 without issues

2) running Win 10 64, successfully connected with machine 1 over a network and installed the necessary pre-requisites: Avisynth+ MT, FFDshow 64 and Haali Matroska
    Splitter. Ripbotx264 launches successfully on this machine.

Here is what I tried:

1) launched Ripbot264 and in the GUI settings checked the "Distributed Encoding" check box. In the Tab where there are IP fields I entered the correct IP with port for the Win 10 machine

2) I added a job and applied desired encoding settings

3) On the secondary Win 10 machine I launched the Ripbot264 server exe only

4) On primary Win 7 machine I hit start. The client launches successfully and begins to copy files to shared folder followed by indexing.

5) I can see Queues/chunks and the encoding starts on the primary machine but when I hit online for Server 2 in client it tries to connect and then goes offline.

6) By looking at the status on the Server 2 machine I see the following errors (see image below) and can't figure out what's wrong.

[Attachment 44213 - Click to enlarge]

Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi there,

Thank you for your response and actually I installed the FFDshow 32 bit as I read in a post somewhere that Ripbot supposedly is not compatible with the 64 bit version and also installed the C++ binary which fixed the problem. I just didn't know which really did the trick but now I know.

Just two more questions from a newb.

1) The distributed encoding works great but noticed that once in a while the "Server 2" machine would randomly disconnect with a socket error 10054 "Connection Reset by Peer". Any hints as to why that is happening? When I click the online button it reconnects without any issue until it does it again at some point.

2) Can Avisynth scripts be freely pasted into the script window or do they have to follow a Ripbot syntax? I noticed that there are marked sections ex #levels, #colors, etc. Do appropriate script sections need to be pasted under those or are those just comments? Sorry if this is really dumb questioning but I just started to learn Avisynth.

Thank you again for all your help.

PS: Any chance that you would consider adding a HDR to SDR color conversion feature in Ripbot?
    Quote Quote  
  5. 2) that window is a great feature, you can do whatever you want in it, to override original, generated script etc., if you know what you are doing,
    it is quite hidden so if someone does not know what it is, likely would not touch it, but on the other hand it could help,
    those #levels, #colors are suggestions for you, where you should place appropriate lines for that sort of treatment, or ripbot's algorithm, generating avs script could use it as a placeholder, but again, you can do whatever you want if you know what you do,
    just watch it, when you correct that script and then you go back to menu, selecting some values for video again, you might screw up that script a bit
    Quote Quote  
  6. 1) The distributed encoding works great but noticed that once in a while the "Server 2" machine would randomly disconnect with a socket error 10054 "Connection Reset by Peer". Any hints as to why that is happening? When I click the online button it reconnects without any issue until it does it again at some point.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/981344/an-application-may-receive-the-10054-e...ication-receiv

Maybe your firewall/Antivirus is closing connection?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you for the link but if Firewall was the issue wouldn't I have no connection at all?

Anyways, one of my machines was connected to the network via Wifi and so I switched it to wired. Will do a test and report back.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi Atak_Snajpera,

Just noticed that you added the HDR to SDR tone mapping feature to the new version of RipBot264. This is exciting and I am looking forward to testing this out real soon. One question that I have is that from what I understand the HDR to SDR is only when encoding x264 and with x265 the HDR is pass through. Can there also be an option for conversion to be possible when using HEVC for those that choose not to retain HDR?

Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Encoding HDR (BT.2020) HEVC to SDR (BT.709) HEVC makes zero sense. You should keep that data and use MadVR for tonemaping on fly.
    Quote Quote  
  10. My rationale for wanting to do this was to save storage space while also retaining high quality. For example a bitrate setting of 18000 kbps for HEVC is approximately half the file size of an AVC encode to my understanding. Other than that you're right.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I 2nd that. Space is the reason, I want to encode in HEVC only. My 4K-TV is not able to display HDR/BT.2020 correctly,
    so a "downgrade" from BT.2020 to BT.709 of my HEVC-movies would be very useful.
    Quote Quote