VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everybody,

I have a Panasonic DMR-ES10 which I want to use as a pass through device. But I have I have a few questions about this. To start of, my cable connections are:

Camcorder == s-video == DMR-ES10 AV4 input == s-video == capture card == VirtualDub
    VHS == Scart to composite (s-video not possible) == DMR-ES10 AV4 input == s-video == capture card == VirtualDub

The results are better already. Ok, here are my questions:

1. Are there any specific settings needed with the Panasonic? Or is everything going by default?

2. There's also a option to output with component cables, which I also have. Is that possible/better? And what setting do you need in VirtualDub for that?

Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by GovertdeKat View Post
    1. Are there any specific settings needed with the Panasonic? Or is everything going by default?
    Turn off the noise reduction filter. It will lead to ghosting. Check the input/output levels. I'm not sure what's best for PAL but with NTSC they should be set to lighter (input), darker (output). Incorrect settings may result in mild posterization. With noisy consumer tape source this won't be an issue but with very clean sources it may be visible in smooth gradients.

Originally Posted by GovertdeKat View Post
    [B]2. There's also a option to output with component cables, which I also have. Is that possible/better? And what setting do you need in VirtualDub for that?[/B
    For low res sources like VHS and Hi8 you won't see much difference between s-video and component. For high res sources, like downscaled HD broadcast TV, you will get noticeably sharper colors.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot. I have turned off the noise reduction. Could not find the color input/output levels, but the colors seem to be fine already.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just picked a DMR-ES10 so thanks for the info..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bar72 View Post
    Just picked a DMR-ES10 so thanks for the info..
    You should capture from the component output, the ES35V has a build-in VHS deck.
    Quote Quote