VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Is anyone using 4K resolution at 24Hz via HDMI? How usable is it for desktop applications (not gaming)? Are there any issues?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have a 4K display, but do I have a 27-inch 1080p Dell monitor which is able to accept 2160p input at 24Hz. Controls, text, and icons are often too small when using 2160p resolution, which means I sometimes need to use the Windows Magnifier app. Video playback can be a bit jerky if it is higher than 24fps. Cursor movement is also less smooth than normal.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Dec 2017 at 12:39. Reason: clarity
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    How can the Dell monitor be 1080p and use 2160p resolution? Did you try to increase the DPI setting?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    How can the Dell monitor be 1080p and use 2160p resolution? Did you try to increase the DPI setting?
    The monitor (Dell S2718HN/NX) does its own scaling to display 3840x2160 input on a 1920x1080 screen. (The full 3840x2160 screen is displayed but at 1920x1080 resolution.) This monitor has a single HDMI input which functions as either an HDMI 1.4 port or an HDMI 2.0 port, depending on the settings chosen by the user in Dell Display Manager.

For example, when I set Dell Display Manager to use "Standard" mode, the HDMI input functions as an HDMI 1.4 port, and will only accept up to 1080p video. ...but if I set Dell Display Manager to "Movie HDR" mode, it switches to an HDMI 2.0 port and can accept up to 3840x2160p input.

Here is a screenshot of PotPlayer at full screen with Intel Graphics set to output 3840x2160 @ 24Hz to the Dell monitor.

[Attachment 44162 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Dec 2017 at 17:08. Reason: Add 3840x2160 screenshot of PotPlayer
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. As mentioned earlier - expect reduced motion smoothness - beside to this everything should be fine - in fact i believe that future display interfaces will be dynamic and based on content change - no need to refresh static picture.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I spend a lot of time in front of the PC, so I need something that will not cause eye strain or headaches. Having said this, even though I could buy a graphics card up to around 150€, I really see no point in doing so if I don't need it, as it will occupy two case slots, make some noise and need extra power from the PSU. My last "serious" graphics card (a GeForce GTX 750Ti) lasted less than three months and I never used it for gaming or anything demanding.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Last edited by kyrcy; 18th Feb 2018 at 13:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My son desktop is connected on LG TV 55JS6585. Its a 4k@60p via HDMI.

He play games, watch series, use office apps, photoshop like normal monitor.

Claudio
    Quote Quote