VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I recently discovered under Windows 7 that the sub-woofer volume of my 2.1 speakers is very low, despite the fact that it is set at maximum on the sub-woofer itself. Previously, I remember that the volume was higher, but never really satisfactory. The sub-woofer is connected to the front speaker out jack of the sound-card and the two satellite speakers to the sub-woofer. I can not find a way to increase the volume of the sub-woofer through software, as there is no 2.1 speakers configuration to choose. I am going to buy new speakers soon and I am thinking to choose 2.0 speakers instead of a 2.1 one unless there is a workaround. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know how other software, but you should be able setting up it in your audio driver. But not all audio is 2/0/1 or similar.
    You can also set Output speakers to 2/0/1 in potplayer. As I mentioned earlier don't know other players. If you want try it, rmb on screen then audio - output speakers and here 2/0/1 aka 3.0 surround.
    [Attachment 44124 - Click to enlarge]

But remember most common is stereo and 5.1 or 7.1, can imagine how will stereo sound looks on your system.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. Use the equalizer in the media player (or sound card applet) to boost the bass.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I hear no significant difference of the sub-woofer volume, by choosing the different output speakers options (including 2/0/1) in PotPlayer. How do I use the equalizer to boost the bass?
    Last edited by kyrcy; 24th Dec 2017 at 18:07.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Potplayer -> Preferences -> Audio -> Equaliizer...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Using full bass preset increases the volume, but not significantly. Can I use the equalizer to boost the bass further?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    I recently discovered under Windows 7 that the sub-woofer volume of my 2.1 speakers is very low, despite the fact that it is set at maximum on the sub-woofer itself. Previously, I remember that the volume was higher, but never really satisfactory. The sub-woofer is connected to the front speaker out jack of the sound-card and the two satellite speakers to the sub-woofer. I can not find a way to increase the volume of the sub-woofer through software, as there is no 2.1 speakers configuration to choose. I am going to buy new speakers soon and I am thinking to choose 2.0 speakers instead of a 2.1 one unless there is a workaround. Any ideas?

What is the brand name and model of your speaker system? This could help answers.

The subwoofer is deriving it's signal from the sum of the left and right signal then filtered to the low frequencies. The unfiltered (probably) left and right are then going to their respective speakers. As the sound card knows nothing of this arrangement any manipulation of the actual subwoofer should ideally be carried out by the subwoofer amplifier in the speaker box. The only other way is as others have as suggested using equalisation to boost the low end of the entire output of the sound card. This *might* cause some overload in the left and right speakers. More details on the speakers are required.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    also in preference F5 here in Audio, tab Volume control, you can adjust volume for each speaker. Just check enable individual volume control and you can start

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you can't get the bass high enough for your liking by increasing the bass frequencies, reduce the rest of the frequencies too. Then crank the overall volume up.

Keep in mind that small subs can't produce the lowest frequencies. You won't get bone shaking bass out of them.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You're not going to get any bass out of that.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Some other things you can check:

Make sure the audio card and/or player aren't set up with one channel phase inverted. That will eliminate most bass with the type of setup you have.

Put the sub in a corner to accentuate the little bass it puts out.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    As a replacement should I get this?

https://www.amazon.com/Genius-SW-G2-1-Subwoofer-Microphone-Consoles/dp/B0056BPUQC

Or this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GENIUS-SP-HF1250B-2-Way-Speaker-System/dp/B06Y66VKXP

I am mostly interested in listening to music and watching movies.
    Last edited by kyrcy; 25th Dec 2017 at 02:54.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Try the phase test at this web site:

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

Can you hear the 75 Hz samples? Does the in-phase sample sound significantly louder than the other?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Try the phase test at this web site:

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

Can you hear the 75 Hz samples? Does the in-phase sample sound significantly louder than the other?
    Yes and yes.
    Quote Quote  
  15. So we can rule out a phase inversion problem. Since you can hear the in-phase 75 Hz sine wave we know the sub is working. About all that's left is an unrealistic expectation of how much bass it can deliver.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    I can hear the 75 Hz samples and the in-phase sample sounds significantly louder than the other, through I think the satellite speakers. If I mute the satellite speakers, I can only hear the 75 Hz tone in-phase sample sound through the sub-woofer. Not sure is this means something?
    Quote Quote  
  17. You shouldn't be able to hear the out-of-phase 75 Hz sample from the sub. The sub adds the bass from the left and right channels but since they are out of phase they cancel each other out. This means that the signals being sent by your computer to the speakers is in-phase, as they should be.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Should I expect much better performance from the two Genius speaker systems above? Which one do you think would perform better?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of the 2 I suspect the second one mentioned from the UK would probably deliver more bass but to be honest I don't think much of these compact "computer" speakers. I've always had a discrete amp of at least 100 watts RMS and a separate powered subwoofer with it's own internal amp of around 250w. Basically getting good bass response is all about air pressure - the more air you can push the bigger the bass output in crude terms. Tiny speakers of say less than 250mm or around 10 inches diameter are hard pressed to produce any real sub low frequencies. Small speakers can be designed that have very long throw to move the air but generally they are expensive. Think about investing in a good A/V amp and separate left and right speakers together with a powered subwoofer with a cone diameter of 10" and up in a decent solid cabinet.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Z623-Watt-Speaker-System/dp/B003VAHYTG/ref=sr_1_1 produces bone-rattling bass not too expensively, if you can get it.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    I can buy the Logitech Z623 for 200€ where I live, which is more than what I want to spend for a set of speakers. I am looking for something preferably under 100€. For example, I just found this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-Speaker-System-Subwoofer-Computer/dp/B0061J3GPU/ref=cm_...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I don't have any experience with Trust, so I am not sure what to expect.
    Last edited by kyrcy; 27th Dec 2017 at 11:29.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Experiment with subwoofer placement - it is super important.
    Placing it in a corner usually results in the most bass, but not usually the nicest sounding bass.

This site explains the process pretty well.
    https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/75365187-the-art-of-subwoofer-placement

Don't expect massive volume from a small 2.1 system, just try to get a clean, balanced sound.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I found that when I originally went from XP to windows 7 (same PC) my 2.1 system produced significantly less bass, had to setup the equalizer to get back to the original bass level that I liked. Which begs the question as to why you are only just noticing this now? Windows 7 has been and gone years ago.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    I can buy the Logitech Z623 for 200€ where I live, which is more than what I want to spend for a set of speakers. I am looking for something preferably under 100€....
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You're not going to get any bass out of that.
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Of the 2 I suspect the second one mentioned from the UK would probably deliver more bass but to be honest I don't think much of these compact "computer" speakers. I've always had a discrete amp of at least 100 watts RMS and a separate powered subwoofer with it's own internal amp of around 250w. Basically getting good bass response is all about air pressure - the more air you can push the bigger the bass output in crude terms. Tiny speakers of say less than 250mm or around 10 inches diameter are hard pressed to produce any real sub low frequencies. Small speakers can be designed that have very long throw to move the air but generally they are expensive. Think about investing in a good A/V amp and separate left and right speakers together with a powered subwoofer with a cone diameter of 10" and up in a decent solid cabinet.
    Bass means bigger speakers, bigger boxes; no getting away from the laws of physics. The speakers that you currently use have a LF -3dB at 85Hz which means you can pump all the bass you want to it but the best you'll get is distorted boxy mud, along with other 2.1 speaker systems of the same ilk. I use the Z623 in a variety of installations; I and the people I have recommended it to have never looked back. It's available used or new in a number of places online or brick & mortar. THX certification is usually associated with much more expensive stuff and so at the prices you see the Z623 is a relative steal.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Don't know how other software, but you should be able setting up it in your audio driver. But not all audio is 2/0/1 or similar.
    You can also set Output speakers to 2/0/1 in potplayer. As I mentioned earlier don't know other players. If you want try it, rmb on screen then audio - output speakers and here 2/0/1 aka 3.0 surround.

But remember most common is stereo and 5.1 or 7.1, can imagine how will stereo sound looks on your system.

Bernix
    Potplayer seems like a nice software, however I found that it tries to connect to the internet even when checking for updates is disabled, which for me is suspicious the least.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It was discused here earlier. And Potplayer has many features depending on internet ie. download subtitles, play online sources click on word in subtitles opens translator, and so on. There are many more dangerous software outside you haven't dream on. What about services of OS, you know nothing they are good for, ME and AMD equivalent.
    Potplayer works also when you are not connected to internet, and is used by many many users, so I think if there is some security issue that is known, we know about it now, and such program I believe is very much watched by every security software provider.

Edit:To try to achieve maximum security is not to connect on internet or anything. You have to stay offline, with Wifi disabled. Stay out from mobile phones, from electric appliance with microphones in it, no matter if they are turned off. Conclusion there is no way stay safe and be online, or use electricity.
    Last edited by Bernix; 12th Jan 2018 at 12:49. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  27. I don't use potplayer, I use MPC-BE instead, but think I heard that there are two different exe files in potplayer directory. One is without internet "services". Check the directory and create a new shortcut if you want.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post

Bernix
    Isn't 2.0.0+LFE the right decision for 2.1? I'm not familiar anymore with PotPlayer, I switched to MPC-BE long time ago
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Isn't 2.0.0+LFE the right decision for 2.1? I'm not familiar anymore with PotPlayer, I switched to MPC-BE long time ago
    None of the choices in Potplayer seemed to make any difference for my 2.1 speakers. Media Player Classic is what I am using too.
    Quote Quote