VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have DVD's I made on a Panasonic DMR ES20 in roughly 1999. The original material was personal videotape with no copyright or blocks. The DVD's play in my iMac, Yosemite X 10.10.5, using an external player via the Apple DVD app. When I "open" the DVD icon the window is empty. When I click on "Get Info" it tells me that it is Universal Disk Format UDF

I want to transfer the material on the DVD's to either qtime or mov files so I can post them on line. How can I transfer the material on these DVD's?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by j.vid View Post
    I have DVD's I made on a Panasonic DMR ES20 in roughly 1999. The original material was personal videotape with no copyright or blocks. The DVD's play in my iMac, Yosemite X 10.10.5, using an external player via the Apple DVD app. When I "open" the DVD icon the window is empty. When I click on "Get Info" it tells me that it is Universal Disk Format UDF

I want to transfer the material on the DVD's to either qtime or mov files so I can post them on line. How can I transfer the material on these DVD's?
    If you can use an mp4 file instead, you could try HandBrake using the DVD as the source. I suggest the following settings:

Select "Web Optimized" in "Output Settings".
    On the "Video" tab, set the Framerate to 60 fps and select "Constant Framerate".
    On the Filter tab, select "Deinterlace" and then "Custom" from the drop-down list below "Deinterlace". Add the parameters 15:-1:-1:1 (a set of four parameters for Yadiff deinterlacing, each separated by colons).

I think the default settings elsewhere will normally be OK.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by j.vid View Post
    I have DVD's I made on a Panasonic DMR ES20 in roughly 1999. The original material was personal videotape with no copyright or blocks.
    I presume the discs are all ‘finalized’ for playback on other players than the original recording device? Are the discs DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, single layer, dual layer, or what? Are the discs single session recordings or multi-session recordings? Was ‘VR mode’ applied?

Originally Posted by j.vid
    The DVD's play in my iMac, Yosemite X 10.10.5, using an external player via the Apple DVD app.
    Excellent.

When I click on "Get Info" it tells me that it is Universal Disk Format UDF.
    UDF is normal and expected for all DVD-Video and DVD-VR discs.

I want to transfer the material on the DVD's to either qtime or mov files so I can post them on line.
    First concentrate on getting the video from the disc as-is. Worry about converting later (e.g. YouTube doesn’t care much for source format, they’ll take nearly anything).

When I "open" the DVD icon the window is empty.
    This shouldn’t happen and it makes copying a bit more difficult. Try making a disc image file of the optical disc. Hopefully that can be mounted and read as a non-empty volume. You could use a disc authoring app or even Disk Utility (menu File > New image > Image from DVD_NAME).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HandBrake did the trick!!! Thanks much
    Quote Quote