VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all,

In the process of capturing one of my beloved Donna Summer LaserDiscs to a video file, so I can enjoy the concert at home without relying on a LaserDisc player, which I do not currently have. It is a Japenese pressing of the 'Hot Summer Night with Donna' (1983) HBO special. I am getting this professionally captured from its analog origin to a digital file (Apple ProRes 4:2:2 10 bit) by a media company. However, the SD capture they sent me appears to suffer from some ghosting/motion blur and artefact issues. The framerate captured was at 29.97fps (NTSC), so that it was on par with the disc, but I am wondering if it would have been better to capture at 60p?? I saw some conversions on YouTube of LaserDisc (non-movie) video that was captured at 60p and up converted tO HD resoltuions and looked rather impressive. Owing to the historical nature of recording 60i for sports and other events, would this particular concert been filmed natively at 60i and then broadcast at 30i, including its LaserDisc transfer? I cannot help but wonder as I am seeking the best possible transfer of my disc at HD resolution with a frame rate that would have been used during the recording process of the concert, so as to eliminate any motion errors for pristine video.

Please check out my inital capture from the company and an example of what it could look like below:

Donna Summer capture (SD, 29.97fps, 4:2:2, 10bit)
    https://mega.nz/#!UeYBXC5S!K0Jha60IvmqImZM6kDhIf977JlKUEekVd6EZwnK8888

An example of LD conversion to HD res at 60fp:

https://youtu.be/qphXVkoFD4E
    Quote Quote  
  2. All NTSC laserdiscs are 30i and should be capture as such. That MOV file was poorly deinterlaced to 30p, the chroma channels may have been blended together, and they used too strong temporal noise reduction.

30i and 60i are the same thing -- 60 fields per second, with pairs of fields woven as frames per second. Marketing just decided to rename it because 60 sounds better than 30.
    Quote Quote