VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey, new to the page here Also new to video. Have a GoPro Hero 5, and decided to shoot a time lapse driving. I set the GoPro at one picture per half a second, which was the fastest it would go. The drive was probably 20 minutes. In Powerdirector 16, I loaded the photos and set them to the shortest duration possible, each clip for .01 seconds.It looks somewhat smooth, but not completely. If I meet a car from the other direction, it is obvious that it is stillshots, really bad jerking on the oncoming traffic. I cant figure out how to fix this. I thought of shutter speed at first, but the GoPro doesnt offer shutter speed adjustment on timelapse. What am I doing wrong??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see how this would ever work. Time lapse is usually used on slow moving subjects like clouds across the sky
    or flower petals opening. What is you aim ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Just a fluid driving video that looks sped up. Theres many on youtube to check out. But most of those are smooth, so i'm not sure how they are getting rid of the jeking affect.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You need to add motion blur. That's best done by shooting at normal speed and blending many consecutive frames together. And there's not much point in going over 60 fps in your final video. 0.01 seconds per frame is 100 fps. You'll typically see only 60 of the 100 frames each second because your monitor's refresh rate is 60 Hz. And that will look more jerky than seeing 60 evenly spaced frames. And lastly, don't speed things up too much or you will get a big blurry or jerky mess.
    Last edited by jagabo; 23rd Dec 2017 at 19:35.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You need to add motion blur. That's best done by shooting at normal speed and blending many consecutive frames together. And there's not much point in going over 60 fps in your final video. 0.01 seconds per frame is 100 fps. You'll typically see only 60 of the 100 frames each second because your monitor's refresh rate is 60 Hz. And that will look more jerky than seeing 60 evenly spaced frames. And lastly, don't speed things up too much or you will get a big blurry or jerky mess.
    Great, thanks. How do I blend it in Powerdirector? I searched around a bit but I dont see it as an option. So maybe .02 seconds per frame (which makes it look very jerky), but then blending after setting that? Thanks for the help, sorry if these are such stupid questions, I just really want to figure this stuff out.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't know anything about Powerdirector. Some editors have a blend option with the frame rate filter.

You want 60 fps (or 59.94 fps for TV) for the smoothest display. That's 0.01666... second per frame (or 0.01668333... for TV).

Another way to get motion blur is to set the exposure to as close to the frame rate as possible. So for 1/2 fps you want close to 1/2 second exposure to get as much motion blur as possible. You'll probably need an ND filter in broad daylight though.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Great, I'll search through Powerdirector a bit and see what I can find in that area. Thanks for the help
    Quote Quote