VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been trying to clip individual episodes from a full mp4 file using Handbrake to clip the relevant episode and encode the file. I would like to use the H.265 video codec to encode the new file as it appears to offer a better video quality compared to a similar sized H.264 encoded file. However, when I watch the x265 file using VLC and I click on various sections sometimes it freezes. It may freeze for a full second or not at all depending on where I click in the navigation bar. This doesn't happen at all when using the x264 codec. Does anybody know why this would be and have a solution to remedy this so there's no freezing when using the x265 codec?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try VLC 3.0 or "no-open-gop" in HandBrake as extra x265 option.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know your computer specs, but h265 is more demanding on processing time than h264. So when you click somewhere at the end of GOP, it has to read whole GOP from start to frame you want to skip. There are several methods in players. Best is to allowed only play from start of the GOP on Keyframe. It is fastest method for bit slower computers. But don't know how to apply this method in VLC. Some GOP can be about 10-20 seconds long, so when you clicked on end it has to encode about 8s (200 frames) or 18s (450 frames) And in some cases GOP can be even longer. And of course bigger resolution the time is longer.
    EDIT
    Here is how it is solved in Potplayer
    [Attachment 44070 - Click to enlarge]

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 20th Dec 2017 at 10:46. Reason: Added picture how this is solved in potplayer
    Quote Quote  
  4. If it's the problem described by Bernix you can also counter by:
    - reducing keyint. (in Handbrake x265 extra options e.g. "keyint=100" for max GOP length 100 frames)
    - using a faster player (try MPC-HC 64 bit) or use hardware decoding (depending on hardware/OS, of course)
    Quote Quote