VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    so if capture interlaced 25fps = 50 fields, then it stands to reason that capture of interlaced i50 = also double = 100 fields surely?
    The term 50i doesn't mean 100 fields per second. It's simply a new name for 25i, 50 fields per second. One company started marketing with the new name because people think bigger numbers are better. Other had to follow or risk losing sales. 25i and 50i are exactly the same thing.
    damn jagabo. You have just turned my world upside down! This is the most important post ive read in years and changes everything. Thank you for explaining it to me. its fairly cruel for this to be the situation. Just adds another curve in the understanding of this whole process.

Best Regards,
    Blackout
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    The Blackmagic company is based in Port Melbourne, Melbourne Australia. Its literally around the corner from me, about a 5 minute drive. This new box updowncross HD is a very new product. Theres no manual online that i could find for it. Im going to give them a phone call this week and see if i can get an answer out of them re:de-interlacing. ill post back with the result
    ok I gave Blackmagic a call and had a really nice chat with a guy named Darrell.

he came up with some answers for the new Updowncross HD that are not in the manual. The email response was forwarded to me from the Product Manager.

my question was specifically in regards to what happens when the unit is converting from 1080i50 to 1080p50:

A: "It’s de-interlaced to 1080p25 so no loss of fields and then doubled to 1080p50. "

My second question was "if its therefore de-interlacing, what method is it using?"

A: "In this case we are basically doubling the number of fields so you could call it “Progressive Scan”.....engineering say that the method used for the Updowncross HD in this instance would be closest to "Weave""

this is a really interesting product! Darrell tells me its flying off the shelves and they cant keep up with production, there is over 1 month backlog at the moment for stock. Im not surprised. Its a hardware box that deinterlaces using TERANEX algorithms for $200 bucks.

it does sound like the video is going to be jumpy tho? its dropped from 50 fields/second to 25fps. that causes jittery scrolling I would have thought?
    Last edited by Blackout; 14th May 2018 at 21:15.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Blackmagic company is based in Port Melbourne, Melbourne Australia. Its literally around the corner from me, about a 5 minute drive. This new box updowncross HD is a very new product. Theres no manual online that i could find for it. Im going to give them a phone call this week and see if i can get an answer out of them re:de-interlacing. ill post back with the result
    ok I gave Blackmagic a call and had a really nice chat with a guy named Darrell.

he came up with some answers for the new Updowncross HD that are not in the manual. The email response was forwarded to me from the Product Manager.

my question was specifically in regards to what happens when the unit is converting from 1080i50 to 1080p50:

A: "It’s de-interlaced to 1080p25 so no loss of fields and then doubled to 1080p50. "

My second question was "if its therefore de-interlacing, what method is it using?"

A: "In this case we are basically doubling the number of fields so you could call it “Progressive Scan”.....engineering say that the method used for the Updowncross HD in this instance would be closest to "Weave""

this is a really interesting product! Darrell tells me its flying off the shelves and they cant keep up with production, there is over 1 month backlog at the moment for stock. Im not surprised. Its a hardware box that deinterlaces using TERANEX algorithms for $200 bucks.

it does sound like the video is going to be jumpy tho? its dropped from 50 fields/second to 25fps. that causes jittery scrolling I would have thought?
    If the Blackmagic Updowncross HD weaves both interlaced fields together to create a progessive frame and duplicates that frame to produce 1080p50, then for any programming that is televised live, like sports, you will see combing artifacts during motion as well as motion that is less smooth than the original. I would not recommend it.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yeah, that reply from BlackMagic makes no sense.
    Quote Quote  
  5. usually that's exactly what I suspect as well...artifacts and lack of smooth video. Plus... I agree jagabo that it makes no sense.

It was in an email in writing from them too...its not like I translated it wrong over the phone or something!
    Quote Quote  
  6. A few, 1 -2 years ago I wanted to stream HD. Charging into the hobby I bought without doing any learning about GPU's first,... an ElGato HD 60 pro capture card, to install in the case where the. That reliable workhorse had...Giga-Byte GA-X58-UD3R Mobo, Intel Core i7-930 @ 2.80GHz CPU, 16 GB RAM, 2 ATI HD 5770 GPU's in Crossfire config and a 850 watt power supply....I could not get it to capture HD streaming, with the ATI crossfire HD 5770Pinstalled . So being a low cash flow, old retiree, I put the job on the backburner..
    I am almost done assembling a new computer in the same case. All it needs to be complete is a GPU. Thank God the prices on GPU'S have been coming down. I hope I can get a GTX 1080 TI, 11GB..Friends say....aint that GPU a little bit "over kill" for that CPU???? Because my new computer has an Intel Core i7-7700 CPU, when I told this person the CPU isnt the overclockable 7700 K...its just the 7700.. now he thinks I have to sit down on the toilet seat when I go #1...oh well.
    Besides the I7 7700 CPU on my new rig, 16 GB'S DDR 4 RAM, Giga-Byte AORUS Z-2700 Gaming 5 Mobo, and 850 WATT Power Supply.. If I can capture HD with the ElGato on this new set-up to C drive, It should burn HD 1080P HD, and/or 1080I to blank Disks with LG Ultra-HD Blu-Ray burner
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    hi ill, I'm looking for a device to capture 1080p 60fps mp4 (h264) from my satellite... ive seen several devices that capture 1080p in 60p but I'm guessing that the actual capture software on the PC is responsible for the "Heavy lifting" of making the mp4 in real time? ive had bad experiences with such software that slows my PC down to a grind, and drops frames if I even try to load a browser at the same time.
    Is there a capture device that does the h264 conversion inside the actual device, rather than in the PCs software? because that's what I would really want...
    I don't think, in a lower priced solution anyway, that you will find a device that does the "heavy lifting" ONBOARD. You can use your NVIDIA video card (specific) or Intel Quick sync (if it's supported by your system board) to advantage here as long as your capture device can support hardware based acceleration.
    Quote Quote