VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Guys,

Family member was in an accident, and our Mobius cam got the video. When I viewed the micro SD on my PC, every file said Oct, 2012. We are in December 2017. LOL! I thought the camera didn't get anything, but then I remember I didn't even install the mobius in 2012, I installed it around 2015. So I started watching the files carefully and sure enough, we got the accident on video. Is there a way to change the time stamp of an AVI file? I would guess It would be difficult to do since this would encourage tampering with evidence and stuff?

If it can be changed, can you guys show me how, and more importantly, do you think I should? I'm just imagining being the insurance people on the phone and hearing about incorrect time-stamps and stuff, it would sound pretty suspicious to them, right? But since this happened to me, I'm sure this has happened to others and it's a story they've heard before I hope.

Please advise, thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You'll run across all kinds of crazy dates showing up in any computer.
    The actions on the video are the evidence.....not the software creation date(or some other crazy date that may be showing up).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
    Please advise, thank you in advance.
    Same as hech54 - default (i.e. embedded) date was marked on video - this should be not a problem for court - by modifying this date you will made your video doubtful as a evidence (of course forensic will confirm that you modified only date but this reduce value for your evidence). Simply declaration when it happened + other methods to precisely describe time-frame can be used - no need to modify video. Dash-cams are not equipped with precise time source so time absolute is not so important as relative time used to describe dynamics of situation - strongly advise you to not do anything as it may be worse than incorrect time stamped on video - any sane court will ignore wrong date and time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd say do nothing. Everyone by now should know that timestamps can be wrong from people's VCRs flashing 12:00, family analog recordings with wrong timestamps, or film photos with wrong time stamps. In the unlikely event you get caught, it will just cause a bunch of unneeded doubt. I would also not correct the camera's date settings either, should they want to take a look at it.
    Quote Quote