VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, as usual, I go myself into something I know nothing about.

I was lent a Panasonic DVCPRO HD P2 AG-HVX200AP camera by a local TV studio to record a Christmas concert.

So, I think I have the camera figured out.

I then downloaded the drivers and was able using a USB cable to see the files on the camera.

I can see the files using explorer in Windows 10 ... separate audio and video.

Both (the audio and video files) have a MFX file extension!

I can play the audio and video separately using VLC.

So first, how do I combine the audio and video together into one file?

How do I convert MFX (or what ever I combine them into) to MP4 (or something usable)?

I want to use free (open source) software since I will only have the camera for a week then probably not again till next week.

Thanks ... Mike
    Quote Quote  
  2. have a MFX file extension!
    Maybe MXF?. First you edit in this format before converting to a delivery format like MP4. There are free NLE editors (VSDC, Openshot, Kdenlive ...) that also can convert to MP4.

If you don't need to edit something like Xmedia Recode can convert to MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks ... Yes, MXF (sorry). As I said, I have separate audio and video files. I need to combine them then get them to MP4.

Will any of these free editors combine the two files into one?

Thanks .... Mike
    Quote Quote  
  4. Will any of these free editors combine the two files into one?
    Yes. They use a time line where you can have multiple video/audio tracks.

With Xmedia Recode (XR) you drop the video onto it and import the audio on the "Audio" Tab
    Quote Quote  
  5. Or just mux the video and audio tracks together. You can probably do this easily with ffmpeg and a batch file like:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe" -i "%~1" -i "%~2" -c copy "%~dpn1.mp4"
    Change the path to where ffmpeg.exe is installed on your computer. Then multi-select a video file and audio find in Explorer and drag them onto the batch file. The output file will have the same name as the first input file except with an mp4 extension. Once you have this set up it's much faster and easier than starting up an NLE, adding the sources, and saving.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Dec 2017 at 07:47.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can also use a professional NLE in trial mode if you only need it for one time, then uninstall it ..
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    You can also use a professional NLE in trial mode if you only need it for one time, then uninstall it ..
    Agree. This is a MUCH better way of handling these P2 files as it will combine audio and video as well as stitch together long clips if necessary. You can then output whatever format you like.

Try Premiere or Davinci Resolve. (Resolve is free and you can keep it.)
    Quote Quote