VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I recently replaced a Samsung 23" TV-monitor with an LG 24" one (both FHD) which shows a "distortion" when using the monitor (and not the TV) and was not present when I was using the Samsung. I am not sure how to describe it, but it looks like "pixelation" of the screen regardless resolution or operating system (tried windows and Linux). I am using the recommended (1920x1080) resolution, latest graphics drivers and I have checked cables (tried VGA, HDMI) and different graphics cards with no difference. I am uploading a picture of Windows 7 login screen to show the problem. Can anyone help?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pixelation.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	44016  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which model of LG monitor/TV? I'd like to look at the manual, if possible.

You have the graphics adapter set to 1920x1080 resolution, but at what vertical refresh rate/frequency?

Also, it may be necessary to configure the HDMI port to be in PC mode to eliminate overscan when using the display as a monitor. Labeling the HDMI port as "PC" sometimes also changes the mode from TV to PC.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Dec 2017 at 16:19.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-24MT58DF-PZ

Screen refresh rate is 60 Hertz.

I already tried labeling HDMI port as PC and although it improves picture, it does not eliminate the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found a manual for a white version of your monitor at http://kr.eguide.lgappstv.com/manual/l16/L16_M_C02/index_c_engc.html, but no explicit advice for anything that resembles your problem.

I don't know if any of them might be beneficial, but there could be some picture adjustments available for RGB-PC mode at HOME>Settings>Picture>Screen. (The manual says only some models have this menu, so I guess the same manual is distributed with multiple monitors.)

There are noise reduction settings at HOME>Settings>Picture>Picture Mode Settings>Picture Options, but the standard advice from VideoHelp members is that all picture enhancement settings should be off when a PC is connected to a TV.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-24MT58DF-PZ

Screen refresh rate is 60 Hertz.

I already tried labeling HDMI port as PC and although it improves picture, it does not eliminate the problem.
    you've tried resetting the tv back to factory default settings ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Should be 1920x1080@60Hz (exactly, not 59.94, etc) 16:9 on both card output and monitor, should use HDMI2 (ARC), should set for PC, and importantly, should use original AR with JUST SCAN enabled.

That's the best you can do with that monitor.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I tried resetting to factory settings with no luck.

I have played with most settings without founding one that really helps.

There is a noise reduction setting that is greyed out, but I could not find a way to enable it.

What do you mean use original AR with JUST SCAN enabled?
    Quote Quote  
  8. LG calls it Just Scan to disable any overscan (cut off picture at all sides)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I can't find a Just Scan setting in the monitor's menu. The noise reduction setting can be enabled only when using the monitor as TV.
    Last edited by kyrcy; 16th Dec 2017 at 04:42.
    Quote Quote  
  10. There should be one entry called Just Scan in aspect ratio setting
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    There is one under aspect ratio, but it is grayed out and can't be enabled.
    Quote Quote  
  12. don't worry, for specific signals there is no Just ´Scan, only 4:3 and 16:9 setting is available. Can you please create a better snapshot of the problem? I see some pixelation artefacts, but these can also be only visible on the picture (aliasing), not in real world
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    It's difficult to make a better snapshot as it might not show the problem accurately, but on this LG TV-monitor I can distinguish individual pixels on the windows desktop, while on my previous Samsung TV-monitor I couldn't, maybe because they were smaller or of different shape and not as obvious. I am not sure if this is a real problem or an LG thing.
    Last edited by kyrcy; 16th Dec 2017 at 08:34.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Maybe sharpness to high, try to set it to 0, worth a try
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Default sharpness (H & V) is at 10 and setting it at 0, blurs everything on screen.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you have the opportunity to see a display model for this LG monitor/TV demonstrated in a showroom before purchase? Do you think the individual monitor that you purchased is defective? Can you return it or exchange it?

FWIW, what you are seeing can't just be the pixels. I have a 27-inch Dell 1080p IPS monitor. Sitting at arm's length from the screen, the individual pixels are just barely visible even when I'm using my reading glasses.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Dec 2017 at 10:25.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    I recently replaced a Samsung 23" TV-monitor with an LG 24" one (both FHD) which shows a "distortion" when using the monitor (and not the TV) and was not present when I was using the Samsung. I am not sure how to describe it, but it looks like "pixelation" of the screen regardless resolution or operating system (tried windows and Linux). I am using the recommended (1920x1080) resolution, latest graphics drivers and I have checked cables (tried VGA, HDMI) and different graphics cards with no difference. I am uploading a picture of Windows 7 login screen to show the problem. Can anyone help?
    does it do it on all resolutions or just one ??
    try starting at the lowest resolution and work your way up.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Did you have the opportunity to see a display model for this LG monitor/TV demonstrated in a showroom before purchase? No.
    Do you think the individual monitor that you purchased is defective? I am not sure.
    Can you return it or exchange it? Unless the monitor is dead, there is little chance for an exchange.
    Does it do it on all resolutions or just one? I think all, but lower resolutions are not usable and difficult to compare.
    Quote Quote  
  19. There is only one resolution which should be used - the native one, all others will look weird.

Can you maybe take a video with your smartphone of the issue, I'm pretty sure we'll see the issue better, just upload it as attachment here in the forum or upload the file to google drive or similar.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    There is one under aspect ratio, but it is grayed out and can't be enabled.
    You can try to force DVI mode on your PC instead HDMI, HDMI should be set to signal flag 'show overscan' (TV may interpret that source do not wish to be 1:1 pixel mapped).

Focus on solving issue with greyed Just Scan - this is key to 1:1 pixel mapping.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    It's difficult to make any configuration changes on the PC, as I have only the Radeon drivers installed without the catalyst software, to avoid an annoying bug with flash player.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!