VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. A film I've made has a private showing at an Odeon cinema. They recommend using a DCP but they also have the facilities to play a video file through a laptop. I've got 2 choices:

1) Send the film off to a production house to be converted into DCP.
    2) Export my own version and play it off the laptop.

Option 1 is quite expensive so my question is;

a) What is the best format that displays the highest quality whilst still being able to be played on laptop media players such as VLC?
    (I'm using Premiere Pro 2017.)
    b) Will this format, played through a laptop, have a noticeable difference in quality compared to getting a DCP done?

A couple of factors to note:

The film was shot in 25fps, so a DCP would require the production house to convert to 24fps and pitch correct the audio - which they assure me would not be noticeable. And obviously playing through a laptop would require no conversion of frame rate.

The audio is a stereo mix.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Premiere Pro comes with Wraptor DCP creator. There are a number of good tutorials online.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Premiere Pro comes with Wraptor DCP creator. There are a number of good tutorials online.
    How does Wraptor DCP handle the conversion from 25fps to 24fps? The cinema only excepts Interop DCP. Will Premiere pitch correct the audio?
    Quote Quote  
  4. [QUOTE=kieranvyas;2504398

How does Wraptor DCP handle the conversion from 25fps to 24fps? The cinema only excepts Interop DCP. Will Premiere pitch correct the audio?[/QUOTE]

Here is their information. They compensate for it, but the free version gives you few options. You may want to test a short segment or two to determine if it is acceptable.

https://www.quvis.com/dcp-tools/
    Quote Quote  
  5. [QUOTE=smrpix;2504407]
    Originally Posted by kieranvyas;2504398

How does Wraptor DCP handle the conversion from 25fps to 24fps? The cinema only excepts Interop DCP. Will Premiere pitch correct the audio?[/QUOTE

Here is their information. They compensate for it, but the free version gives you few options. You may want to test a short segment or two to determine if it is acceptable.

https://www.quvis.com/dcp-tools/
    Thank you! Last question: if perfectly converted from 25fps to 24fps, and audio properly pitch corrected, would there be any noticeable difference between the new version and the original? Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  6. Adobe/Wraptor has several options for frame interpolation. Again I would urge you to test small critical segments of your material. I converted some 29.97i to 24p and it seems pretty good. (Remember, no one but you knows how good it looks initially, so no one but you will be disappointed in any quality loss.) Audio comes out fine.
    Quote Quote