VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there! I'm new here and I just searched a bit too much but couldn't find what I'm looking for.

I just want to know, given the hype built around HEVC and High Sierra, if there's any chance I can re encode my videos using HEVC preserving quality and frame rate but reducing file size. I have found a couple of programs that were able to convert .h264 video using a .h265 codec but the output was actually double the size while keeping settings like frame rate, bit rate, audio rate and resolution untouched. I just wanted to know if it's even possible since I own an early-2015 Macbook Pro w/retina display (2.7 GHz i5, 8gb, Iris Graphics 6100).

I know absolutely nothing about things like de-interlacing and advanced video settings, and all the resources I have found are somewhat confusing. I just want to get the best about of all the formats available and overall knowing one more thing today than I did yesterday.

Thank you all and have a nice day (:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    you can post Mediainfo of your source file, to let us see what resolution, codec setting, if file is interlaced or progressive and much more. I'm always confused with mac things but there are at least two programs that should work Handbrake and Avidemux. Most used encoding method is Constant rate factor. Try it set to 22 with medium preset. If result is good for your eyes, go to higher CRF and test it. Filesize will be smaller but quality bit worse. If CRF 22 isn't good for you go lower CRF quality should be better but filesize will be bigger. CRF depends on video content, so final size is unpredictable.
    If you are looking for specific file size you have to use 2pass encoding. It last longer but you get predicted filesize.
    I don' know just if your computer is fast enough to work at reasonable speed. If you get 5fps so 90 min video encoding time will be about 7,5 hours. But it seems o.k. core i5 2,7 GHz.
    And H265 is much more efficient than H264, so I don't see problem to get much smaller filesize at similar quality.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. I just downloaded Avidemux, I'm reading about it. I have previously tried Handbrake and couldn't understand it. Is there a tutorial blog or video were they show the relation between CRF, content, two-pass encoding and that kind of stuff?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Example file I'd like to convert.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 2.24.02 AM.png
Views:	1312
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	44005  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Download Handbrake and have a go at it. It has x265 builtin. But in your picture the file looks pretty heavily compressed already (1080p with a bitrate of 1Mbit). And I should point out that anytime you lossy encode, which is what you are talking about doing, you lose quality no matter what. The loss might be big or small depending on the settings and codec used, but you will lose. If you have a bunch of files like your picture, I'd just suggest you buy an external HDD (external because of your laptop situation) or look into cloud storage if you have the upload bandwidth to do it. Multi Terabyte external HDDs are pretty cheap these days.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with KarMa, that your source Full HD is already heavily compressed. There is not relation between CRF and 2pass. But CRF in this case most probably will create bigger size. If the video isn't something like screen capture or some cartoon animation.
    You can try 2pass with 600kbps with some good settings. There is some good explanation what each settings does in x265.
    But for sure keep your audio in copy mode. It is very low bitrate.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you both for your great and fast responses!

The video I sent as an example IS actually a cartoon, and from my uneducated point of view, it manages to look good without much artifacts on my retina display. That's what I'm trying to achieve, to know how should I re encode and what setting I should use to maximize output quality while having a smaller file size. Having much content isn't the issue, I have still a couple hundred gigabytes left and I don't download many things. It's more of like a personal challenge, learn to encode and get my file sizes down without noticeable quality decrease.

Regarding the documentation, I'm going to read it, and found in it a link to install .h265 and run conversions from the CLI. Do you guys know if there's a way to install using Homebrew instead? I wouldn't like to download any more programs just to download a codec.

I seriously appreciate the help from you guys, keep being awesome (:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    i don't know if is it best idea using CLI only. What will you do if your content is interlaced? Or especially in cartoon movies, there can help denoise and deblock filters. It helps to h265 compress your files better. Of course such things are part of H265 also, but not best quality (actually they are fastest) but how display preview of encoded file? And of course you in CLI encoded just video, so you will need some multiplex program like mkvtoolnix to get video audio together.
    From point of filters it seems to me better Avidemux than Handbrake. You have in avidemux more control over h265 settings, and more filters. But on other hand Handbrake encode anything. But if you have specific demand on h265 you need to know how to add parameters to text box there.
    Cartoon will benefit most from max reference frames and from some filters mentioned earlier.
    Conclusion I don't know if CLI is best for you. Maybe when you have not pre compressed files, but already compressed files seems to me better to handle in some GUI.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  9. Wow! Avidemux is really feature-packed. I just installed it and I'm going to check preferences and read what do each thing does. Thanks for the info, seriously guys.
    Quote Quote