VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I started using Virtualdub to convert my super 8 tapes to my laptop.

The following only occurs when I try to convert home made videos (captured with a Panasonic Viewcam VL-H860). When the camera moves fast (for example when panning fast to the left) the image begins to stutter when I capture it in Virtualdub. But this does not happen when I hook the camcorder to my tv.

Does anybody know what I can do? I've uploaded a video to show the effect https://youtu.be/w_gXwqOYGio. I am from Holland so I am using Pal-b with 25 fps. I have a video grabber from Magix.
    Last edited by GovertdeKat; 11th Dec 2017 at 09:07.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It seems to me like problem with heads/tape. But you are saying it doesn't appears on TV. Weird. Is your tape firm in cassette?
    Or you can also try connect your camera to TV, tv output to Magix and capture in virtualdub to see if the problem is same. You can eliminated camera problem then.
    I have never saw this you posted on youtube, that should be related to virtualdub. Weird on tv it is o.k.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can try to hook my camcorder to the TV. But I am not really sure how to do that. My TV is old, so there are two entrances for scart. So I can hook my camcorder to AV1 and my video grabber to AV2. But then I won't be able to record from AV1 off course.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see problem. Only problem could be, that both scarts are for output or input (on your tv). Not all scart slots suports both output and input.
    Magix has input from RCA? if so, you have to connect your camera to tv with rca to scart(in) cable and output with scart (out) to RCA.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  5. Stuttering is the least of your problems. You need a time base corrector to clean up the sync before it gets to your capture device.

And why are you capturing/converting SD (PAL?) video as 1080p60?
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Dec 2017 at 09:58.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Jagabo,

It seems a TBC could solve this problem. Didn't know about them.

But looking on the internet they seem very expensive. Is there are cheaper alternative for this? Or is going to a professional the only other option?

I'm not that critical about the quality of the image. I was already quiet satisfied with the results I got with some filters in VirtualDub. So removing the stutter just a little would make me happy already.

PS. I recorded the capture with my phone, that's why it is 1080p.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I can't tell what problems are caused by your phone, what problems are caused by your processing, and what problems are caused by your capture. You should upload a sample of your capture and a sample of your processed video made from that source (this site accepts up to 500 MB files). And make sure the samples show the problems you're having.

In general, you should be capturing as 720x576 25 interlaced frames per second. And converting to 50 progressive frames per second. With VirtualDub I would use the built in deinterlace filter with yadif and double frame rate. Better results can be had with AviSynth but you may not want to spend the time getting it set up and learning how to use it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've read into this now. It seems most issues are caused by not having a TBC. Sadly this is something I cannot fix because:

- buying a (relatively) new HI8-camrecorder with TBC is quiet expensive. Next to that I need a newer VCR with TBC as well (for my VHS-tapes).
    - buying a stand-alone TBC is way to expensive. Couldn't see one on the internet below 500 euros.
    - Let a professional digitalitize your tapes is also way to expensive for me.

I am right?

The things I already fixed in VirtualDub are:

- correction in Hue (HSV)
    - noise reduction with Neat Video
    - deinterlace
    - and some cropping en resizing.

Lastly I compressed the file with xvid mpg-4 codec.

See attached a capture file and a processed file.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. The problem is that your capture has missing frames and repeated frames in their place. For example, frame 182 is unique, frame 183 appears three times in a row, then there's a big jump in motion to frame 186. It's likely hat frames 184 and 185 were lost and frame 183 was repeated to make up for them. This is causing jerky motion during playback.

You need to figure out why this is happening and re-capture the tapes. I don't know what capture device and program you are using. Your source video is uncompressed YUY2 -- that may simply be too much bandwidth for your hard drive. Use a lossless codec like HuffYUV or UT Video Codec while capturing to reduce the hard drive write rate. If you're using VirtualDub to capture turn off audio playback while capturing (you can still capture the audio, just don't let VirtualDub play it while doing so). That frequently causes dropped frames. Also don't compress the audio while capturing (you didn't in this sample, so that's good). Beyond that there's a sticky thread here that lists many things to check:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/112800-Why-does-your-system-have-audio-video-sync-issues

Regarding the cost of a TBC, many old D8 camcorders can be used to play 8mm and Hi8 tapes, and have a built in TBC. Many old DVD recorders like the Panasonic ES10 and ES15 (not sure about European model numbers) have a TBC that can be used in pass-through mode (you don't record to disc, just pass the signal through the DVD recorder, the DVD drive doesn't even need to be functional).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This one is about 230 euros + possible shipping price and probably VAT, don't know, but same at amazon is over 300 euros.
    Can't TV corrects Time base? When playing there it is without this unpleasant effects? Or how it works? So trying to capture from TV ends in same video?
    Quote Quote  
  11. My 2 cents - definitely this is not stutter but some problems with your source and perhaps your acquisition setup - alternatively to dedicated TBC you can try to use decent DVD recorder (HDD recorder) they are usually better acquisition devices than crappy PC acquisition USB devices. Go for Marktplaats.nl and try to find something - perhaps somebody can help what is most recommended device (perhaps pass trough mode).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everybody,

I think I will go for the DVD/HDD recorder option. I have been tweaking with these USB-grabbers for a while without really good results. Now looking for a good recorder option. Hopefully I can find the panasonic mentioned in this thread, so I can use the pass-through option. Otherwise I will have to burn DVD's and rip those files to my pc, or is that a bad idea?

Regards,

Koen
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by GovertdeKat View Post
    Otherwise I will have to burn DVD's and rip those files to my pc, or is that a bad idea?
    Just set sufficiently high bitrate - personally i don't expect significant quality loss.
    Quote Quote