VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm currently in the process of transcoding a few thousand videos but they are all from different sources so things like the video/audio encoding are different, resolution, etc

Is there a tool that would allow me to list out the following information for multiple videos so I can locate outliers?
    • video encoder
    • resolution
    • aspect ratio
    • audio encoder
    • audio samplerate
    • audio birate
    • and it would be super-duper helpful: is interlacing detected
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is playtime program, it is simple Mediainfo with possible exports in csv and similar . But not interlaced option. Why don't you like Mediainfo? You can customize it to your needs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Why don't you like Mediainfo?
    I have actually never come across this before! I've been using a weird combination of avidemux and vlc to get all of my data.

Thanks for the tip! I just installed it through homebrew and it looks to be what I'm after. Strangely, there is a CSV accessible from the terminal but not in the GUI, still looks like a great app!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have actually never come across this before!
    There also ffprobe (with ffmpeg. Terminal)
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can use ffprobe (part of ffmpeg distribution build). Script similar to one bellow may be used to extract interesting for you data (add fields interested for you).

Code:
    @set nme=%1
    @ffprobe.exe -v -8 -i "%1" -show_format > "%~n1_format_streams.txt"
    @echo - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - >> "%~n1_format_streams.txt"
    @ffprobe.exe -v -8 -i "%1" -show_streams >> "%~n1_format_streams.txt"
    @echo - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - >> "%~n1_format_streams.txt"
    @ffprobe.exe -v -8 -i "%1" -show_entries "frame=coded_picture_number,pict_type,interlaced_frame" >> "%~n1_format_streams.txt"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MediaInfo has a CLI interface that can be called from a bat file that has almost every piece of information about a file there is, including Scantype(Interlaced/Progressive)

First create a reusable template (template.txt) to request the information you require: e.g.
    Video;Resolution = Frame Rate = %FrameRate%\r\nVideo Codec = %CodecID%\r\nVideo Format = %Format%\r\nScan Type = %ScanType\r\n
    Audio;Audio Codec = %CodecID%\r\n
    Then use the command (or put into a batch file) :
    C:\{path to program}\mediainfo_cli\mediainfo.exe --Output=file://"C:\{path to template}\template.txt" "C:\{path to videos}\Video.mpg"
    and you should see on your screen:
    Resolution = 1920x1080_
    Frame Rate = 29.970_
    Video Codec = 27_
    Video Format = AVC_
    ScanType = Interlaced_
    Audio Codec = 129_
    The CLI has a Document that spells all this out and lists all the parameters.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH CAPITALIZATION, FORMAT, SPELLING AND QUOTES
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    sorry, I didn't know there is someone that doesn't know about Mediainfo . My fault.
    When you select which files are interlaced and which not, you can do quality based encoding. If your target is h264 or h265 codec. Just find what is your ideal quality for video. It is resolution and frame rate independent. Size of videos (same time, same resolution and same fps) will vary depends on video contents. But it is faster than 2pass encoding and "same quality guaranteed". Of course if you have video in poor quality it will not helps it, but at least worth to try it.
    It is Constant rate factor (CRF). Lower settings higher file size better quality. Higher lower file size lower quality. That method of encoding can save you lot of time.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @videoburger && @28pandy:

I have been using ffmpeg for years and somehow neglected ffprobe... I will certainly look into this one as well as I already have it across my systems.
    Quote Quote  
  9. can ffprobe find out if interlaced is bff or tff? yet
    # post 24, then next post #25 etc
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MediaInfo will show Field Order if you add 'Scan Order = %ScanOrder% to the Video line show in the thread #6 above;

The result will be:
    C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\MEGA_Trimmed_Tabbed_2_2\bin\D ebug>MediaInfo.exe "--Output=f
    ile://Template2.txt" C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\Frame.mpg
    Resolution = Frame Rate = 25.000_
    Video Codec = _
    Video Format = MPEG Video_
    Scan Type = Interlaced_
    Scan Order = TFF
    Audio Codec = _
    Channels = 2_
    Audio Bit Rate = 128 Kbps_

For a more definitive inquiry you could use FFMPEG '-vf idet' filter as explained in http://www.ffmpeg-archive.org/field-order-detection-numbering-framepositions-possible-td4674257.html
    Quote Quote