VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using Windows to try to create .srt subtitles using OCR from high-quality H.264 MP4 files containing English, large-letter, hard-coded yellow captions on an opaque black background. I've found two tools that do a pretty good job correctly OCRing most of the characters, but only during the parts of the video that appear in a particular area. When the captions move to a different part of the screen (i.e., "float"), the OCR understandably fails. This doesn't happen very often, but it's still a pain.

However, the dimensions of the black background area and the number of characters in each line change extremely often, which is killing me, since these tools don't seem to be able to adapt. For example, one tool that I've tried is SubRip, which requires me to draw an outline around the black background so that it knows what part of the image to send to be OCRed. I had much less success with VideoSubFinderWXW because much of the GUI is in a foreign language (probably Cyrillic Russian) but I cannot read that language. While the rest is in English, the parameters are utterly baffling to me.

SO, I'm here looking for advice and suggestions. I expected this to be easier (probably foolishly) because the English captions are so large (making the characters easier to discriminate) and the text color and background are always exactly the same. The other appropriate-looking tools listed in this site's Software listings apparently only work with DVDs/BluRays and AVIs with hard-coded captions rather than MP4 files.

What do you suggest I try, please?
    Quote Quote  
  2. and AVIs with hard-coded captions rather than MP4 files.
    You could remux mp4 to avi with ffmpeg, AviDemux, Xmedia Recode ..

Or use Avisynth Virtual File System.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Not sure if such software exist - seem some people at least made some experiments on this area https://vimeo.com/11255515 (i know subs in example are not moving but approach should be capable to track them and recognize).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    and AVIs with hard-coded captions rather than MP4 files.
    You could remux mp4 to avi with ffmpeg, AviDemux, Xmedia Recode ..

Or use Avisynth Virtual File System.
    Thanks for your reply and your suggestions, videobruger ! I'll try them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I found this script : https://git.clapity.eu/Id/YoloCR , but I don't know how to install it or how to work with it.
    If you or anyone else can make a complex tutorial from that tutorial so can we all noob people can understand , maybe with images.
    Quote Quote