VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker or buy PlayOn and record Netflix! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please excuse my nievity, but I have ripped an original DVD using Shrink so that I can convert them to format to enable me to put them on a portable HDD and the plug it into my TV.
    My TV Supports a lot of formats, what would be the best in terms of quality to convert the vob files to, and the best settings. The video content is motorsport rather than slow shots etc etc, I have tried using DVDfab to MP4 format but seem to get pixelated results on the faster movement of the video...would MKVbe a better format

Any info or advice would be great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Next time skip DVDShrink and use MakeMKV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by efiste2 View Post
    Please excuse my nievity, but I have ripped an original DVD using Shrink so that I can convert them to format to enable me to put them on a portable HDD and the plug it into my TV.
    My TV Supports a lot of formats, what would be the best in terms of quality to convert the vob files to, and the best settings. The video content is motorsport rather than slow shots etc etc, I have tried using DVDfab to MP4 format but seem to get pixelated results on the faster movement of the video...would MKVbe a better format

Any info or advice would be great.
    Which formats does your tv support??

If it supports VOB's, you're home free, , , ,

My media player supports lots of formats, I prefer iso images of dvds, , , ,
    Cross (kros) n: A thing they nail people to.
    Quote Quote  
  4. MP4 and MKV (along with AVI, MPG, TS, MOV, etc.) are "containers" -- logical boxes that hold video, audio, and other data. The container does not effect the quality of the contents. Withing the container video and audio can be compressed with any of a large number codecs (COmpression, DECompression methods). It's the quality of the source video/audio and the codecs (and the settings used with those codecs) that determines the quality of the contents.

MakeMKV will re-mux the MPEG 2 and AC3 audio from your DVDs into an MKV container. There will be no change in quality and not much change in file size. Whether your TV can play it is another issue.
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Dec 2017 at 13:03.
    Quote Quote