VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM

Ive been trying different Max AVI size but I still get too large files. I've attached a screenshot of my settings. Could someone tell me how I can do this? Thanks
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	windv file size config.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	43921  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. I read that post but was hoping for tips on what mistake I'm making in my settings. Would it be the number in Max Avi size?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My point is.....if WinDV is involved.....you are going to get massive file sizes. I believe the only thing "Max AVI Size" does is break up your massive data transfer into huge smaller pieces.
    I'm not sure what you are doing but, if you are assuming that this setting will make a 1 hour/13GB data transfer into a 1 hour "fewer Gigabyte" file size......that's not what it was meant to do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. WinDV can create single files that are larger than 2 gb.

You can do the math on that number since 50000 frames will give you 28 minutes.

28 minutes is still approx. 6 gb so if you only getting 2 gb chunks it is not the software. Are you by any chance recording to a drive that is formatted as Fat16 ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i use 999,999 as max avi size to record a tape in one file.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. DV is about 13.5 GB/hr. An hour of NTSC video is 107,892 frames (29.97 frames per second * 60 seconds * 60 minutes). If you want 2 GB files: 107,892 * 2 / 13.5 = 15,984 frames.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Appreciate your replies. I have ca 250 mini dvs of live concerts. Mostly just a camera stuck up as we played. I'd like to get it off the tapes before they deteriorate and when there's time pick out some memorable parts. I'd like to at least keep the original quality since it doesn't look as good as what I'm used to seeing on todays digital camera. I guess I'll have to invest in a few more hard drives. I've got 1.3 TB left on my drives now. My problem was the first try I got very many small files of a minute or so (even though it was the same concert) and then when I tried to adjust the settings it kept going over 4gb. By the way the original mini-dvs are PAL. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. 4 GB of PAL DV will be about 26,666 frames. 2 GB will be half that many frames.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apologies for mis-reading your OP. I thought that you were only getting 2 gb files and not the reverse.

May I be so bold as to ask why you actually want 2 gb files since, as has been pointed out, the video length will be quite short.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Could be you are hitting the 2GB/4GB mark because of the software, or because of the filesystem. If your drives are FAT32, that will limit them (change to NTFS). For contiguous single clips, use something like Scenalizer Live to transfer.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    4 GB of PAL DV will be about 26,666 frames. 2 GB will be half that many frames.
    That did the trick. By changing the discontinuity threshold to 0, which I read elsewhere on this forum and using 13,333 I got around 1gb sizes. I've gotten some good help on this forum in my task. Thanks
    Quote Quote