VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker or buy PlayOn and record Netflix! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have few MP4 files with embed ClosedCaptions.
    I usually use CCextractor to extract the subtitles to SRT files, but I'd like to extract the CC with text positions. I tried to extract as SSA, but it won't work.

Is there any other program that can do it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have been working on a program (a web page for now) that'll do exactly what you're thinking of. It requires a Closed Caption Disassembly file as input, and spits out a positioned SSA, formatted to look like closed captions.

I''ll put up some sort of tutorial on how to generate a disassembly file (CCExtractor to make a RAW file > raw2scc to make a scc file > ccasdi to make a disassembly file), but until then here's a script (bundled with a bunch of programs I'm really not supposed to be bundling and distributing) that'll do it automatically.

This assumes the source-file contains legit closed captions (cea-608) and not some other type of subtitles.

pre-pre-alpha

Edit: a lot of functions aren't implemented yet, like roll-up captions (used for live or near-live events) and paint-on captions (used when there's no time to build up a buffer, like immediately after a commercial break; NBC uses these on all their shows)
    Last edited by Simon_Haddad; 6th Dec 2017 at 02:50.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, great program so far.
    I successfully created an ssa file, but all subtitles duration are less than 1 second...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Hakunamatata67 View Post
    Thanks, great program so far.
    I successfully created an ssa file, but all subtitles duration are less than 1 second...
    If you paste in some (or all) of your disassembly file, I can tell you what's wrong.
    Quote Quote