VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello users

First, I would like to mention that I've read MANY articles and about the subject and tried many ways and softwares without achieving the real searched look desired.

Is it really possible to keep the smoothest of the interlaced encoding once converted in progressive ?

I'm really friendly with VirtualDub and I encode the final .MKV files with TMPGEnc Mastering Works 6.

Is there I real true guide out there ? or can someone can give a step-by-step guide ? (both for Video and film)

Thanks

Kalemvar
    Quote Quote  
  2. About the best you can do in VirtualDub is Deinterlace -> Yadif -> Double Frame Rate. If you want the best (usually) you need to learn AviSynth and use QTMGC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    But always analyze the material with your own eyes, looking at it slowly, frame by frame, estimating the pattern of temporal progress of the fields (or now double-rate frames, after applying a bob-deinterlacer like Yadif or QTGMC):
    • if the temporal progress is regular and steady, keep it;
    • if it jumps forth and back, invert the field dominance (AssumeTFF / AssumeBFF) and bob it again;
    • but if you notice an alternation between two and three times repeating, use IVTC instead of bob-deinterlacing;
    • and if you notice blending, you will need advanced algorithms (e.g. SRestore).

Some tools like MeGUI (first seen in HDConvertToX as well) try to analyze video automatically for interlacing patterns by running x264 in TFF and BFF mode, comparing its statistics. This method is often successful but not fail-proof. Your brain is better at it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you need to learn AviSynth and use QTMGC
    That is right, or use for example Hybrid, which has avisynth and Vapoursynth filters and so in GUI.
    But I'm satisfied with Yadif bob temporal spatial check with proper field order.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kalemvar1 View Post
    Hello users

First, I would like to mention that I've read MANY articles and about the subject and tried many ways and softwares without achieving the real searched look desired.

Is it really possible to keep the smoothest of the interlaced encoding once converted in progressive ?

I'm really friendly with VirtualDub and I encode the final .MKV files with TMPGEnc Mastering Works 6.

Is there I real true guide out there ? or can someone can give a step-by-step guide ? (both for Video and film)

Thanks

Kalemvar
    Easy way?? Just read this tutorial. Its perfect for you

Link: Spirton 60fps

Just include Deinterlaced using Yadif.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ran across this post in which _Al_ wrote some scripts, one for deinterlacing. I've tried many programs and methods such as BorisFX in Vegas, Virtual dub using Bob and Yadif, but I've have always been very disappointed. Al's scripts use QTGMC which creates frames out of fields and reassembles them to 60p. The footage looks vivid and alive. The footage and colors look slightly better than the original (when examining still frames) but certainly better on motion. Typically, my 15.8 gig source file was reduced to 1.9 gigs. Here's the link - you won't be disappointed.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/370304-How-do-convert-a-Digital8-AVI-to-play-on-a-Roku3
    Last edited by WarbirdVideos; 8th Dec 2017 at 15:37.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I also have a 29,97 interlaces 1920x1080 mpeg2 file. Is this also considered 60i ? I would rather encode this one with x264 and a proper Avisynth script to a standard 23,970 BD since neither 60fps no 29,97 is BD conform if you are going to play it with stand alone Players.
    What would be the best Avisynth command to convert it to 23,970 ? Would keyint24 in x264 and Accumefps 23,970 in avisynth enough ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Gwar View Post
    I also have a 29,97 interlaces 1920x1080 mpeg2 file. Is this also considered 60i ? I would rather encode this one with x264 and a proper Avisynth script to a standard 23,970 BD since neither 60fps no 29,97 is BD conform
    That's not true. BD 29.97 conforms to BD spec if it's interlaced, or if it's telecined and encoded as interlaced.
    How do you know 23.97 fps is the proper frame rate for the video? As mentioned above, it could be true if the original source was 23.97 or 24fps film speed and has 3:2 pulldown or some other method for telecine, then encoded as interlaced. It could also be sourced as 25fps PAL and resized/telecined for 29.97fps. Or there could be blended frames or fields of various structure. You won't know for certain unless you analyze the video as suggested earlier.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 21st Dec 2018 at 19:26.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ah very cool that a 29.970 and interlaced encoded BD works in a standard stand alone BD player. I didn't know that and will try it out.

ok when I index it with DGDecode it says

That should tell me that it is a real 29,97 fps otherwise it would have shown 59,... It also shows that it is an interlaced source with top field first. So therefore I would just insert the "--tff " command in x264 to make shure it gets encoded that way.
    Quote Quote  
  10. 60i is just a new name for 30i. Some marketing genius started calling it 60i to make it sound better. Everyone else had to follow suit to keep from losing sales.
    Quote Quote