VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know everyone liked the TY dvds but what BD-R discs have you had the greatest (and least) success with? For those of you who have made the switch to M-discs, which do you prefer and which have you had little to no success with? I am getting an LG blu-ray burner and it is capable of working with the m-discs. I love the thought that they will last as long as they say but I'm no dummy.....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The 'jury' is still out regarding the M discs, IMO. I've been using the Verbatim BD-Rs for a couple of years, no problems.
    And no problem with the Verbatim DL BD discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have success with Verbatim DL about 70%. Single layer make unbelievable noise in my PC (when reading) in Samsung BD player no problem. But I'm most satisfied with MediaRange SL discs. 100% success no noise in PC. But I have to say, I do not burn too often. I burn TV recordings in direct stream copy to BD so I have about 6-7 videos on 1 BD. So I'm using Data disc not classical Blu-ray movie standard.
    My burning drive is Asus BW-16D1HT and I'm very satisfied with it. The burning is faster than copying files on external drive
    Also planing to get some M-disc to burn family things.

Edit: I'm checking each media after burning. So it compare file on HDD with burned data. I never got error during burning but when checking disc sometimes with Verbatime. That can be related to reading problem (noise). Checking disc last longer than burning itself, so probably not everyone do it. Just to clarify my low Verbatim success.
    And of course avoid to use LTH discs(low to high) use HTL discs (high to low). I hope i do not write it other way round

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 4th Dec 2017 at 03:56. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Panasonic HTL Blu-ray discs made in Japan have been the gold standard for Blu-ray recordable media for ten years or so. Not always easy to find in the US and relatively expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Both Panasonic BD-R 25GB and Verbatim BD-R 25GB (HTL) have perfect records for me as far as burning and verification using a Pioneer BD-R 208M drive. I have burned dozens of each. I have never tried any other BD-R media. The Panasonic media fared much better in independent testing for longevity, so it is the better of the two brands.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim discs all the way. Tried cheaper discs and after a year I had read errors. Same with DVD +DL, verbatim are the only ones I didn't have read errors at the layer break as time went on. Luckily in both cases I used dvdisaster or multipar before burning and made a recovery.
    Last edited by dannyboy48888; 4th Dec 2017 at 11:27. Reason: Spelling
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, don't think that Mediarange is cheaper brand. At least at our shops the price is almost identical. Just to clarify it.
    Edit: is identical (the price)
    Last edited by Bernix; 4th Dec 2017 at 12:29. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  8. Bernix, what write speed are the Verbatim discs rated at and at what speed do you write to them? Are they like the DVDs in that if you write to them at a lower speed then you usually get a more reliable write, and they may be quieter in the PC drive?
    Last edited by TimA-C; 4th Dec 2017 at 13:13. Reason: Rogue comma!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First when I burned my first blu-ray I set up program to write at lowest possible speed. Writing wasn't problem with Verbatim. But reading in same drive was horrible. So next time I let burner to decide its own optimal speed. Verbatim was burned at bit higher than 4x. When I burned to Mediarange (100% success) it burned minimal at speed 7x but usually around 8x. No problem writing also, silent in drive when reading. I have my burned discs readable. Of course I started with LTH which I found totally not reliable. It reads only samsung BD player, but I think that discs are piece of garbage. HTL I have no problem but with some Verbatim DL i had problem. So now I burning to Mediarange SL HTL (all from this brand are HTL) and because they are all silently readable in all my drivers, I think they will be o.k. for long time. Of course they are stored in dark place. I don't think it is good to keep them on light place. If I overprotected them, I don't mind.
    And back to your question - I read that lower speed used to be useful, but they also wrote that now it doesn't matter as it used to be.
    That is my experience with Blu-ray discs. Not rich but my own.
    And the price comparison Verbatim HTL Mediarange HTL both with printable surface, which I do not use anyway is same. Without printing surface is pack of 10 discs about (1/3 euro or dollars) very roughly cheaper.
    Bernix
    Quote Quote