VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all!

Long Story Short:
    I am having major issues trying to get some Blu-Ray footage imported into Sony Vegas Pro 12. I recently ripped a number of Blu-Rays (all 7 Rocky movies) to my computer as MKV files using MakeMKV. Then, I tried importing these into Sony Vegas by doing a number of things, all of which have been total failures, haha (see below for "more details" on what I've already tried!).

Does anyone know how I can simply get the video and audio from these Blu-Rays into Sony Vegas in a format that will allow me to edit them and successfully export them? I'd like the quality to be as close to the original Blu-Ray quality as possible (lossless would be great, but I'm willing to compromise a bit if necessary). I'm assuming some video conversion is required, but nothing I do seems to be working. I don't care what I need to do - I'm fine with starting from the beginning and ripping the Blu-Rays differently or whatever. Also, once I do get the footage to work in Vegas, does anyone have a recommended Codec that I should export to?

"The Details" (I've what I've already tried)
    The closest I got was with tsMuxer - I used tsMuxer to convert them to M2TS files, and that actually worked very nicely for the last 2 Rocky movies (Rocky Balboa and Creed), but it didn't work at all for Rocky 1 through 5 (possibly because they are older movies?). I am able to import the MT2S files for Rocky 1 to 5 into Vegas, but Vegas hangs up immediately when I try to move the file to the timeline. Not sure why.

I also tried using Handbrake to convert them to MPEG-2s, but it didn't work (no audio for seemingly no reason). I tried Brorsoft Video Converter to convert the M2TSs into MPEG-2s, and that worked ok until I imported the MPEG-2s into Vegas and then exported the final product (no audio once again). I tried using Avidemux to convert to MPEG-2s, but once again no luck (no sound at all!). I also tried using XMedia Recode, but the video quality is horrible.

I can't believe it's taking this long to do something that should be so simple!! Haha. In any case, I would be eternally grateful to anyone who might be able to help!!!!

Thanks so much, hope everyone is well!!!
    Tony
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    SixersFan76, please do not double post. I've deleted the other duplicate topic. If you want to move a topic to another forum, PM a Mod.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  3. i dont use sony vegas but MP4 is a more used container maybe swap containers and try loading as MP4? to quickly swap containers use this

https://www.videohelp.com/software/MkvToMp4
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why do yo start new thread? Did you try what I suggested in the old thread about changing audio?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/385990-Best-Quality-Settings-for-Blu-Ray-Conversion#post2503302

Also as suggested BzERK IE videoeditors do not like MKV's, mux your videotrcks into transport stream, TS, M2TS.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    SixersFan76, please do not double post. I've deleted the other duplicate topic. If you want to move a topic to another forum, PM a Mod.

Moderator redwudz
    Whoops, sorry about that!! Wasn't sure which board would be better so I posted on both, but my apologies, I didn't realize it was against the rules, won't do it again! Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BzERK IE View Post
    i dont use sony vegas but MP4 is a more used container maybe swap containers and try loading as MP4? to quickly swap containers use this

https://www.videohelp.com/software/MkvToMp4
    Hi BzERK! This actually seems like the best solution anyone has suggested yet!! I downloaded this last night and tried to change it to an MP4. The only thing is, I'm a bit confused. After it said, "Completed," I couldn't find the final product (it didn't tell me where it was going to save my new file, and I couldn't see any option for specifying the destination - or does it just change the original MKV file?). Thank you very much again for your help!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Why do yo start new thread? Did you try what I suggested in the old thread about changing audio?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/385990-Best-Quality-Settings-for-Blu-Ray-Conversion#post2503302

Also as suggested BzERK IE videoeditors do not like MKV's, mux your videotrcks into transport stream, TS, M2TS.
    Hi AL! So sorry, I didn't see your post on the other thread! I will take a look, thanks so much! I did try muxing the file to TS and M2TS, but unfortunately all the software I used to do that didn't produce good results (in my original post here, I specified the exact programs I used, and unfortunately none of them worked!!). Thanks again!!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. But did you change the audio? That is most likely the cause of your problem, not video. Video coming from Blu-Ray is quite easy to decode, it is by all means regular H.264 video that Vegas should not have a problem.

Check what audio was present when it worked and what audio was present when it did not. Use mediainfo. And use only one audio track when importing into Vegas.
    Quote Quote