VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Is it possible to connect a DVB-T2/C receiver box using HDMI to a PC monitor and have sound by connecting external speakers to the audio (headphones) output on the back of the monitor? The monitor is 4k and I want to use picture in picture to watch TV in full HD in a small window while doing other things. Will I have any issues?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is your TV able to do PIP? Most modern TV's can't. I had a friend that had a plasma TV that could do PIP but the last time I visited Best Buy, they didn't have any TV's that could do PIP.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    Is it possible to connect a DVB-T2/C receiver box using HDMI to a PC monitor and have sound by connecting external speakers to the audio (headphones) output on the back of the monitor? The monitor is 4k and I want to use picture in picture to watch TV in full HD in a small window while doing other things. Will I have any issues?
    Which 4K monitor and DVB-T2/C receiver box will you use?

Features like picture-in-picture are often provided through display management software running on the PC, rather than through the monitor's firmware.

PC monitors also vary in their ability to accept interlaced video and accept refresh rates below 50/60 Hz. Can the DVB-T2/C receiver box deliver 1080p video at an acceptable refresh rate for the monitor? If not, is there an another output setting that is compatible with the monitor?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    4K monitor will probably be a Samsung 28” LU28E590DS (which according to specifications does PIP through its firmware) and DVB-T2/C receiver box a Globo GL-100. Not sure what is an acceptable refresh rate for the monitor.
    Last edited by kyrcy; 3rd Dec 2017 at 10:50.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded the Samsung LU28E590DS manual. The manual never mentions anything about the monitor's ability to accept interlaced video for any purpose.

Page 60 in the manual states that if you want to use "Screen Fit" to for the PIP window's aspect ratio, the video input for the PIP sub-window must be one of the following: 480p, 576p, 720p, or 1080p. ... but notes that not all models accept all of these resolutions! Page 60 doesn't list required resolutions for the 4:3 or 16:9 setting for the PIP window, but it seems reasonable to assume that 1080p would be OK. Based on the frequency table on page 92, I am going to guess that 1080p video at 24 Hz, 25 Hz, 30 Hz, 50 Hz or 60 Hz is acceptable for the PIP window.

The page I found for the Globo GL-100 said it supported video output at 1080p but doesn't list a frequency or frame rate. I am going to guess it is one of those I listed above, so the monitor can probably do what you want it to do, but there is no way to be certain based on the available documentation.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Dec 2017 at 13:22. Reason: correct typos
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I downloaded the Samusng LU28E590DS manual. The manual never mentions anything about the monitor's ability to accept interlaced video for any purpose.

Page 60 in the manual states that if you want to use "Screen Fit" to for the PIP window's aspect ratio, the video input for the PIP sub-window must be one of the following: 480p, 576p, 720p, or 1080p. ... but notes that not all models accept all of these resolutions! Page 60 doesn't list required resolutions for the 4:3 or 16:9 setting for the PIP window, but it seems reasonable to assume that 1080p would be OK. Based on the frequency table on page 92, I am going to guess that 1080p video at 24 Hz, 25 Hz, 30 Hz, 50 Hz or 60 Hz is acceptable for the PIP window.

The page I found for the Globo GL-100 said it supported video output at 1080p, but doesn't list a frequency or frame rate. I am going to guess it it one of those I listed above, so the monitor can probably do what you want it to do, but there is no way to be certain based on the available documentation.
    Thank you for your time and advice. I was thinking to get a TV monitor, but I could not find one supporting a resolution above full HD. I already have a 24" TV monitor and ideally I would like something larger. I did find a Samsung 32" full HD monitor TV, but I did not like it as it was curved and its picture not impressive. I already have the Globo GL-100 and I could get a different DVB-T2/C receiver box if it does not work well with the monitor.
    Quote Quote