VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ...

NOTE: Just realized that this may be posted in the wrong section. Admins may re-locate it if so desired.

I am now using DVD Fab (Free Version) for the first time, and one thing that I noticed right away is the slight deterioration of video image quality when reducing a DVD-9 to a DVD-5.

What I wish to know is -- (1) what settings should be in place when reading a DVD-9 disc; and (2) what settings should be in place when writing to a DVD-5 disc.
    Last edited by Frank-0-Video; 3rd Dec 2017 at 09:14.
    THE Ultimate TV Tuner Device - Picks up every broadcast-cable-satellite transmission since 1928!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the fre HD decrypter only copies the movie to the HDD and does not compress - https://www.dvdfab.cn/tutorial/DVDFab-HD-Decrypter
    Quote Quote  
  3. You're aware that going from DVD9 to DVD5 compresses video and will lower the quality right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings Blud7 and October 262 ...

Blud7 -- Yes -- but not as badly as what I witnessed.

October 262 -- Thank You. That knowledge is useful, and may provide lead to a work-around using other tools.

Thanx-A-Lot
    Last edited by Frank-0-Video; 3rd Dec 2017 at 18:04.
    Quote Quote  
  5. i always use dvd -rebuilder with great results
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not capturing. Moving to Newbie/General Forum.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've always used DVD Shrink for DVD9-->DVD5. Works great and I've never noticed any issues. I've used DVD Fab for the few titles that DVD Shrink can't rip, but don't use it often.

Years and years ago, the DVD Shrink author posted how his software works (I still have his post, in case anyone wants to see it). Bottom line: DVD Shrink does not actually re-encode the video, and therefore you will not get the usual encoding artifacts.

Quoting from his multi-page decade-old post:
    "The DVD Shrink transcode engine works by requantizing video data."
    He explains in detail what that means, and how it affects quality.

One last thing: when I use DVD Shrink to get 8 GB into a 4.3 GB box, I always eliminate elements that I don't care about, like language tracks that I'll never listen to (which helps a lot) as well as subtitles for languages I don't read (helps a little). This means that the video can be shrunk less. If I am going to preserve some of the "extras" on the disc (if it has some), I usually manually increase the compression on those items in order that the main movie is compressed less.

Finally, years ago I started finding all the fancy menus on many DVDs to be a major annoyance. I can do without them and love the ability to just put the disc into the player and immediately begin watching. So, for most movies, I use DVD Shrink's "re-author" mode and simply copy the main movie, the main audio track, and the English subtitle track. I seldom have to shrink the movie to anything less than 80% of its original size, and at that level, DVD Shrink provides wonderful quality.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I, too, prefer DVD Shrink for compressing DVD content. It's free, simple and easy to use. As stated above, when you're compressing to DVD5, always remove all the extra stuff you don't need, only keeping the main movie and main audio track.
    Quote Quote