VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have a ssa file with french characters (é, è...) and some lines have differents positions.

How can I add permanently this ssa file to a mkv file? I saw some topics, but I didn't find any program except AviDemux, but I have a doubt about it.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, but I don't think it will add the ssa file permanently, right?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Do you want to hardcode it? You could use Xmedia Recode for that or if you mux it into the MKV file with MKVToolnix GUI you could use HandBrake/Vidcoder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have found best way to hardcode subtitles to video with ěščřžýáíé and other language specific symbols in potplayer. You have great control on size, color, background of subtitles, shadows and almost everything you can imagine. But it has one very big ?drawback? or disadvantage. You have to play whole video at standard speed, so for usual 90min long video it becomes almost useless because of time. On other hand in Xmedia recode I was very disappointed with result. Not special characters and not any way to proper adjust size position (at least I don't figure it out)

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  6. (at least I don't figure it out)
    You must have done something wrong. Attached an example with special character, position, move.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe it was coded at 1250 not in utf-8 or similar. Don't remember correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    (at least I don't figure it out)
    You must have done something wrong. Attached an example with special character, position, move.
    I tried and it worked well, but the subtitles were small. It didn't take the size, font and position settings from the ssa file
    How did you do?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Nothing special

1 Dragged the video onto Xmedia Recode
    2 Used the "Import" button on the Subtitle tab to open the subtitle file
    3 Pressed the Arrow button to include the subtitle in the Output and Added it to queue and encoded.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. That's what I did in the first place...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In some (most) encoders, the size of your font specified in ssa will look larger or smaller depending on the size of your video. It will look smaller in a 1280x720 video than it does in 854x480.

It's like picking a larger resolution on your PC screen. The letters get smaller and vice-versa. If you change the font size in your ssa, the subtitles should get larger, for that particular aspect of that video..

One way to correct this and make the font correspondingly the same aspect as your video is make sure PlayResX and PlayResY = 0:
    PlayResX: 0
    PlayResY: 0

If you have a setting like :
    PlayResX: 0
    PlayResY: 480
    It will make a drastic difference in the size of your font, depending on the size of your video.

Videobruger did it correctly by setting those settings to:
    PlayResX: 1280
    PlayResY: 720

Which are also the aspect of his finished video. These settings, which are often over looked, can play havoc with size and position of subtitles
    Last edited by Budman1; 4th Dec 2017 at 01:07. Reason: Unclear and incomplete description
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thnak you very much
    Quote Quote