VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I don't notice the audio buzz when there is audio playing, but I can hear it when there is silence. Right now I am using a Digital8 camcorder for converting my Video8 tapes. It also did the same thing with a Hi8 camcorder that I tried before. Is there any way to get rid of it, or is it suppose to be like this?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sounds like 60 Hz ground loop noise. Try powering your computer, capture device, and camcorder all from the same power strip.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I just tried doing that. It had no effect.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just tried it with both my AG-1980 and TRV-350, and they both have the same problem. However, when I plug earphones into the phones jack in the AG-1980, then there is no buzz. The TRV-350 doesn't appear to have a phones jack.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you have any other equipment connected to the computer or camcorder (especially cable TV coax) remove it and see if the situation improves.
    Quote Quote  
  6. There is nothing else plugged into it. Also, the Diamond VC500 makes a high-pitched sound when no audio or video cables are plugged in.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Not sure what would cause that ~8000 Hz whine (on top of the 60 Hz powerline noise).
    Quote Quote  
  8. The powerline noise seems to go up to like 2000 hz. I really don't know how I can get rid of it in the capture process.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The powerline noise is at 60 Hz. But it's not sinusoidal so it has overtones at higher frequencies. If you can't eliminate it during capture you can use something like Audacity's noise reduction filter to reduce it and the 8 KHz whine. But both may be at a tolerable level during normal video.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The powerline noise is at 60 Hz. But it's not sinusoidal so it has overtones at higher frequencies. If you can't eliminate it during capture you can use something like Audacity's noise reduction filter to reduce it and the 8 KHz whine. But both may be at a tolerable level during normal video.
    It would be better if I could remove it during capture. Is there anything I can do?
    Quote Quote  
  11. It might just be a matter of an automatic gain control boosting very low level noise up to audible levels. If that's the case it may not be an issue when you capture material with normal audio. See if you can disable any automatic gain control for the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Where is the automatic gain control? I've noticed that the buzzing sound goes away when I disconnect the S-video cable, but then I only have audio.
    Quote Quote