VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. im getting this issue with the minidv tapes im trying to capture - the camcorder im using is a canon vixia hv30 -

any help on this issue would be great and thank you for your time
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    were the tapes recorded on the hv30?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do a Google search on this plenty of results, eg.
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?75409-HD-tapes-playback
    Quote Quote  
  4. i had already seen that post as i did a google search before i asked , but as im going to have to find a fix i just wonderd if there was any certain player/camcorder i could buy that works with if not all , most of the recorded minidv tapes no matter what its recorded on
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what were the tapes recorded with? not all formats of HDV are supported by an HV30
    --
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The various post around the net point either to an incorrect setting on the camera, a camera fault, tape recorded on one device and attempted playback
    on another or some interaction with it's connection to an external device.
    But if you looked at some of the articles from the Google search results you're probably already aware of these.

Is your tape recorded HDV ? Apparently the formats are proprietary to the brand and will not play on another manufacturers camera.
    If your tape is standard def DV, could it be the wrong format - PAL Vs. NTSC for example?

Try contacting www.bhphotovideo.com they deal with professional-level issues and equipment
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    HDV is not "proprietary", but there are some manufacturers (or models) that support the 720p variation only and some that support the 1080i variation only, and some that support both.
    But, the OP has stated twice that the issue is with "mini DV" tapes, not HDV. Mini DV tapes can contain DV, DVCpro or DVCam formats in addition to HDV. If they were recorded as one of the latter 2, they quite likely would NOT work in most, if not all, consumer HDV cams.
    Also, unlike the more constrained HDV format, DV has many oftentimes incompatible variations - 12bit 32kHz vs. 16bit 44.1 or 48kHz audio, unlocked vs locked audio, EP vs SP mode (especially that last one). This makes it not surprising that there may be tapes that won't work in particular cams. And then there's the above-mentioned possibility of PAL vs. NTSC system differences. It wasn't mentioned by the OP but without knowing provenance, those are possibilities.

And there are still enough variations in tracking/interchange that even digital error correction and/or concealment cannot always fix it.

A Universally compatible playback device (cam or deck) is a rarity bordering on unicorn status.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hard to tell unless he informs us. HDV and DV are both recorded on "miniDV" tape.

[edit] also HDV recorded on a JVC 720p HDV cam will never play back on a canon....
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. aedipuss - you where right ive manged to buy the player from the person who had recorded the footage and it was a jvc and all are fine now - happy days
    Quote Quote