VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    update 02/08/2019
    fixed error where created was used to change encoded and they ended up the same. They should be created (Local Time) and Encoded being UTC (Universal Time). The ASIS checkbox worked just in reverse of what it should.

update:11/10/2018
    I have done another rewrite on my date time programs and tried to fix errors noted below. If anyone wants to test and send me the error messages you may get, please let me know. Pictures help as well as cut and paste.
    Thank all
    Budman1

Main Features
    Change Date Time Batch adjusts created/modified windows dates to match the files encoded/tagged metadata which can get altered due to transferring, editing, etc. Also some encoded/tagged data can be incorrect due to being wrong during being filmed such as a camera that had a dead battery and defaulted to manufacturers date. This allows dates to be altered from windows to meta or meta to windows and even has a manual method to set custom dates to either encoded or created. Batch run changes times on all videos.

Latest version
    1.17.06.08 (Feb 2nd, 2019)
    https://files.secureserver.net/0sqAfho5vHt8P9

1.17.06.07 (Nov 10th, 2018)
    https://files.secureserver.net/0s553GisG0qHRI

Previous Versions
    1.16.06.41 (March 28, 2018)
    https://files.secureserver.net/0sRAnaFeuJLgo0

1_17_05_04
    https://files.secureserver.net/0sRh3JaKSl4hsu

1_16_05_06
    https://files.secureserver.net/0stVysp4CE1Crl
    https://files.secureserver.net/0s4ER5ftwhajxF

Visit developer's site
    Budmansite.com (Not recently updated. To Do)

Supported operating systems
    Windows

License
    Freeware

Release notes / Changelog

1.17.06.07 (11/10/2018)
    Fix some sources failing to work correctly
    Changed Label on for clarity on UTC/Local designation. Now copies Encoded or Created as is without changing to correct UTC(encoded), Local(Created)
    fixed so that Time designations such as 2018-05-11 02:10:10, 2018-05-10T20:10:10-600, 2018-05-11 02:10:10Z, etc. can be set

1.17.05.04 (07/20/2018)
    - Fixed timing error where you had to hit Convert a few times after initial launch
    - Changed wording on labels and to be more user friendly.
    - Have more entry boxes eliminate dynamically when not need to be more user friendly
    - Changed and added wording in the summary Box, better understanding, I hope.
    - added some timers to allow for slower possible CPU speeds
    - fixed Changed folders file box to correctly show files and Windows dates when selected.
    - Fixed Convert button that did not change back to disabled if valid Manual Date changed to Invalid.

1.16.06.41 (March 28, 2018)
    - Enlarged Text boxes and labels for larger text on some PC schemes.
    - Changed color scheme for users that use darker colors on desktop.
    - Cleaned up code for redundant methods.
    - Changed summary and output text for better result description.
    - Fixed Convert button that did not change back to enabled if Manual Date change clicked and unclicked without setting date.

[Attachment 46141 - Click to enlarge]

----------------------------------------------------------
    New version that is more user friendly and intuitive It controls fields to be used for the function you need to accomplish. Other unneeded fields are removed or disabled/enabled as needed.
    Last edited by Budman1; 8th Feb 2019 at 23:35. Reason: Updated and fixes on new version in Red
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I don't get it. What is it good for?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Many people need to adjust created/modified Windows dates to match the files encoded/tagged metadata which can get altered due to transferring, editing, etc. Also some encoded/tagged data can be incorrect due to being wrong during being filmed such as a camera that had a dead battery and defaulted to manufacturers date. This allows dates to be altered from windows to meta or meta to windows and even has a manual method to set custom dates to either encoded or created.
    Thanks budman1
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Ah, OK, file system flags vs. container metadata tags, now it makes sense. Cool.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    This is a great program and what I've been looking for. Some unknown process is renaming video files on my wife's S8. There's a whole batch that is named 2017-05-09 20.31.22 going to 2017-05-09 20.35.46. Then there's another batch (some duplicated but not all) on the date 2017-09-30 21.47.27 going to 2017-09-30 22.29.36. I got rid of all the dups just by sorting by size and deleting, but now no photo service will put them in the right timeline. Since there's no EXIF info, the only date I could find was the Encode date in Mediainfo. I was set to manually rename hundreds of files!!

Google and Budman1 to the rescue!! This program is perfect, but a little tough to figure out. How can I just get it rename the video to the Encode date dropping everything else? I wish I could program, I'd try to help clean up the GUI a little, but I'm not sure I understand all that it does. That's all I need, and thank you very much!!

EDIT: I've used Bulk Rename Utility for photos quite a lot to recover the Date Taken into the title of the photo. You might look at that to see if it's GUI is something that you could incorporate into yours. It's kind of complicated also, but let's you see what's going to happen in the window at the top.
    Last edited by Hockeyfreak; 5th Jan 2018 at 02:03.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I did manage to get done what I needed by combining your program and then using the settings below to remove the rest of the file name after the _ symbol. All worked out well, thank you for your skill and programming!!

[Attachment 44322 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was just going to suggest bulk rename but you beat me to it. Lol . I also agree i am horrible at making a good layout so if you have a suggestion or image with the featutes it has please let me know. I will look into maybe having the rename feature with selectable possibilities. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Wish I could program, but I really don't know what is possible or not with the program, so I can't help with a GUI. I'm getting into it with my time on the road. I'll revisit when I get my legs under me. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I can't seem to get this program to work anymore. The mediainfo encode date is there, and the Modified/created date is still changed by something. What are the settings to retrieve the encode date to rename the file to that date, and change the modified/created date to it also. I've tried every choice combination!

I did it before back in January, and just got back around to this chore.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I find it as nice piece of software, but when I wanted to make some manipulations with encoded/tagged/... date I found out that navigation in program isn't user friendly.
    Tried few versions and mostly all of them had different layout. I think this software needs UI overhaul.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Checking hard The program seems to have a timing issue . UGGGHH!! I'll fix and repost update. In the mean time try clicking convert a second time if it fails. It seems to work once it starts working just fails for me on first attempts after coming up.. Sorry for the glitch and thanks for bringing it to my attention.

@TempUser_ what manipulations were you trying to make? I may be able to incorporate them. Let me know please.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I wanted to extract tagged/encoded date and place it into created/modified field, so renaming software could take that date, and place it into filename.
    (But I found script sample for renamer software which made it possible, without modifying crated/modified fields.
    Last edited by TempUser_; 19th Jul 2018 at 04:59.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I did get the new version of the program to work. I think this is a very useful program for specific problems, but easier terminology needs to go into the labeling of the options. It's very confusing what needs to be marked. Here's the screenshot of the settings that retrieved the "encode date" of the file, and inserted it into the file name before the original filename, and also changed the modified/created date to match the encode date. Both the recent versions I had are pictured. Both produced the same result. "Select source date" is very confusing for the label, and "Change metadata date" makes you think you're changing the "encode" date if you check it. Thanks for your work though, I don't mean to be picky, it definitely works for what I wanted it to!!

EDIT: The one on right DIDN'T work. The second pic of version 1.15 did work. Why won't it show the encode date in the file info box listing the creation/modified/access dates?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CropperCapture[4].jpg
Views:	195
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	46125  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CropperCapture[5].jpg
Views:	161
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	46127  

Last edited by Hockeyfreak; 19th Jul 2018 at 05:26.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Now I see this software like this.

Only author and few people who after few hours figured out how it works, and where you need to click/check to get the results.
    I think interface elements firstly needs to be grouped (as you did with colors), so user could easier understand what elements are linked. (I prefer 1.15 over 1.16)
    And try to get rid of empty space in ui.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/EorKgxd.png
    https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/mlUrcaB.png
    Last edited by TempUser_; 19th Jul 2018 at 08:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @HockeyFreak Hopefully the new version I updated in the original post should launch correctly first time now. I made some other changes for better wording and dynamic label changes as mentioned.

@TempUser_ All the manual entry, check boxes, etc. are necessary for people who have asked for various methods to change date and time, such as just change the language or use the video date instead of the General date. I did make the new version remove more unnecessary boxes until needed again.

Thanks everyone who made suggestions, critiques.
    Budman1
    Quote Quote  
  16. @Budman1, if check boxes needs to be, let them stay, but somehow point user, and let them understand, do they need to use it to just run program correctly, or only on specific task.
    You can try to make two separate views, like basic with minimal/default options, and advanced - with all of them. (imo this is time wasting =) )
    Last edited by TempUser_; 21st Jul 2018 at 08:47.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Budman1,
    Thanks for writing this app as this is the only way I was able to find to copy the Encoded Date to the Date Modified field on a video file. Is there a way with your app to only modify the existing file or does it have to copy the file over to make these changes? Right now I'm using the app we these settings.
    Different Destination Folder than Source Folder
    1. Encoded
    2. Video
    Use Encoded/Tagged Time
    Modified Date
    Keep Same Name
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I can modify so that the original is modified but understand I am not a programmer by trade and if I allow everyone to do this, I'm sure someone will not back up their files and I'd hate to see their favorite wedding pictures ruined because of an error I made in programming. For this reason I try to stay away from modifying any originals.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Sounds fair to me thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  20. By the way, since Bulk Rename Utility and timestamps modifications are mentioned in this thread, I discovered a bug with BRU (v. 3.0.0.1) : when a renaming operation is canceled, all the concerned files' timestamps are shifted back by 2 hours. Did anyone notice this ? I signaled this issue to the developper, along with some suggestions for future improvements, but had no reply.

[I]t seems like each time a rename operation is cancelled / undone, all affected files' timestamps are shifted by 2 hours. I noticed this while doing a thorough verification between my main HDD and its backup, which hadn't been updated in months (which is BAD, I know !), using WinMerge, comparing the whole arborescence in “size + time” mode : in some directories, I had files which, although matching by size and name, were displayed as different because of their last modification date discrepancy. I searched for an explanation, couldn't find one, and I wasn't even sure which value was the correct one : the one on the active drive or the one on the backup ? While I was pursuing the backup's update, I had many files to rename so they would match with their counterparts, and then compared with WinMerge again until everything would match. In the instance described above, I had to undo a rename operation made with BRU which didn't turn out as expected, then when the files names were finally matched, WinMerge reported that they were different, and indeed the timestamps were shifted by 2 hours, just like I had observed in some other directories. Since I had created a backup of both drives' complete empty arborescences (created with Robocopy with the /CREATE switch, then compressed with WinRAR, activating the optional retention of all timestamps), I could verify that, before this renaming operation, the timestamps of those files on the backup drive were correct. Then I made a few tests : selected a file, renamed it (added its creation time as a suffix : 5h18m41s), then undid the operation, then refreshed the display : timestamps shifted by 2 hours (became 3h18m41s). Then I did it a second time : timestamps now shifted by 4 hours (1h18m41s) ! So, what is the explanation ? Is this the general behaviour of the software, or is there a particular option which I inadvertantly enabled and which is causing this ?

@Hockeyfreak
    I got rid of all the dups just by sorting by size and deleting
    Don't do dat. You should always verify CRC or MD5 checksum before considering two files as duplicates and deleting one of them.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Budman1, Thanks for you this great job!
    Your soft seem to be that I need!

But I work on windows 10 and I always get this error message in the log file: Not Validate Date. Skipping

I don't know why it don't work for me, but I really need use it!

An idea?
    Many Thanks!
    [Attachment 47889 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I will check that as soon as I get home..thanks

UPDATE:
    I get the same results if I use your names with the diacritical marks:
    Code:
    copy "c:\users\bud\desktop\6ETé č.mp4" "c:\users\bud\desktop\6ETé č_2.mp4"
    The program can not find the file and errors out if trying to convert but if I try to change the code page of dos to the special 1252 everything is fine.

The CMD Window Check button brings up an actual simulated CMD screen so anything you type in top window (lid 'Dir')and hit Execute will display in the lower window.

Try to type '
    Code:
    chcp 1252
    ' into the upper Input box as shown after first failure or by hitting CMD Window Check button and hit execute. You should get an acceptance of code-page change. Do not worry about this being permanent. It is only for my pseudo dos windows there. If you wish to know the original CMD/DOS codepage just type chcp without numbers.

Then cut and paste the highlighted area shown in my example here for MediaInfo and click execute. You should see the actual encoded/tagged dates this time.

If this works or we find a fix I will rebuild my program. I say this because my DOS/CMD code-page is 437 and changing to 1252 works for me . Many programs work this way but some do not such as FFMpeg which accept Cyrillic characters but alters them during execution of an FFMPEG command.

Please let me know so I can fix this for you.

[Attachment 47892 - Click to enlarge]

Thank You
    Budman1
    Last edited by Budman1; 23rd Jan 2019 at 21:24.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Hello. Thanks for the great software!

I use it to restore the original date on video files transferred from iPhone to my PC. I noticed that in rare cases, the iPhone overwrites the "Encoded date" and "Tagged date" tags as well. But the original recording date is always stored in the "com.apple.quicktime.creatio" tag (I don't know if that's the name of the tag or if MediaInfo cuts off the last character). Here's what it looks like in MediaInfo:

Encoded date : UTC 2019-05-20 15:38:32
    Tagged date : UTC 2019-05-20 15:38:40
    Writing library : Apple QuickTime
    com.apple.quicktime.make : Apple
    com.apple.quicktime.model : iPhone 7 Plus
    com.apple.quicktime.softwar : 12.0
    com.apple.quicktime.creatio : 2018-12-14T18:56:56+0200

(The real recording date is 2018.12.14, not 2019.05.20 as indicated in Encoded date or Tagged date).
    Is it possible to select this tag (com.apple.quicktime.creatio or com.apple.quicktime.creation) as the date source?
    Thanks.
    [Attachment 70847 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Tech.no, without intending to rain on Budman1's parade, for photo and video transfers from iphones/ipads to a PC, try Photosync. It retains the original file "Date Created" attribute and can rename the files into Date/Time format. It can also transfer media back to the i device.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    @Alwyn, thanks for your help. I will try to use it when I transfer new videos from iPhone hone to PC. But in my case, there are already a lot of videos that have been copied from the phone to the PC over the past few years, the date is already written incorrectly there, it remains only to correct the files.

In addition, I think that in my example from the previous message (where "Encoded date" and "Tagged date" tags have been changed for some files), the date is overwritten while still in the phone, syncing won't fix it, most likely. (unfortunately, I can not check this, as examples of such files are already on the PC).
    Quote Quote