VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all!

I am a noob here! Thanks for taking the time to check out my thread

I am trying to rip a couple of my Blu-Rays to my computer in order to edit them in Sony Vegas Pro 12. I'm not planning on uploading my edited videos online, just something I'm doing on my own for fun. However, I'd like to keep the quality of the videos exactly as close to the original Blu-Rays as possible (I'd do a lossless conversion if it was possible, but don't know how).

I ripped the Blu-Rays to my computer, and they look great. But now I'm using Handbrake to convert the original MKV files to MPEG-2 in order to be able to edit them in Sony Vegas Pro 12. Below are the settings I'm using - if anyone has any advice for me (i.e. please tell me of any settings I should change in order to make the converted product as close to the original as possible), that'd be amazing! Thank you so much for your help!!!

Output Settings:

Container: MKV

Picture:

Size: 1920 for width, and I am unable to edit Height, so 'none'

Anamorphic: Loose

Modulus: 2

Cropping: Custom
    Top: 0
    Bottom: 0
    Left: 0
    Right: 0

Filters:

Detelecine: Off (no idea what this is)

Decomb: Default (no idea what this is)

Deinterlace: Off (no idea what this is)

Denoise: Off (no idea what this is)

Deblock: Off (no idea what this is)

Video

Video Codec: MPEG-2 (FFmpeg)

Framerate: Same as source, Variable Framerate

Quality: 1

Audio

Source: 1 English (DTS-HD MA) (5.1 ch) (default, no idea what this means)

Codec: AAC (faac)

Bitrate: 384 (default was 160, but I assume higher bitrate is better?)

Samplerate: Auto (no idea what this means)

Mixdown: Dolby Pro Logic II (that was the default)

DRC: 0.0 (no idea what this means)

Gain: 0 (no idea what this means)

Source: 1 English (DTS-HD MA) (5.1 ch) (default, no idea what this means)

Codec: DTS-HD Passthru (AC3 Passthru was the default option, but I switched it to DTS-HD, as that will be lossless and therefore better quality I think?)

Again, thank you so much again!! Have a great day
    Tony
    Quote Quote  
  2. PS: I tried the settings above on my 1st Blu-Ray conversion - man, it did not come out great! It looks good, but when I tried to fast-forward the video (by skipping ahead by about a half hour), there was no audio at all and it took a while to load. I'm not sure if the audio didn't work at all for the whole video, or if it just didn't like that I was fast-forwarding. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I dont understand some settings you have. Why setting up AAC audio when you let it passthrough? It means that audio is untouched. So choose track you want and use Auto passthrough.
    Ad video. Variable frame rate is evil and I think that can be source of all trouble you have. Best is Same as source and Constant frame rate. Especially when you want to edit the video. Avoid VFR !!!

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 27th Nov 2017 at 08:57. Reason: Especially when you want to edit the video. Avoid VFR !!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If these are just copied video files off a Bluray using something like MakeMKV, then Vegas should be able to read those files. I don't use Vegas but it should be able to read H.264/MPEG2/VC-1 Bluray formatted videos just fine. But it might just not like the container the video was put in when you ripped the Bluray, like .MKV which is probably the problem. The Bluray video files were originally contained in .M2TS, so maybe you can use a program called tsmuxer to put your new .MKV files back in .M2TS so that maybe Vegas will have a better time decoding the videos. This would be lossless and fast.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/tsMuxeR

Download tsMuxeR in the above like and unzip and copy both tsMuxer.exe and tsMuxerGUI.exe to a new folder and run tsMuxerGUI.exe.
    Last edited by KarMa; 27th Nov 2017 at 13:47.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Hi,
    I dont understand some settings you have. Why setting up AAC audio when you let it passthrough? It means that audio is untouched. So choose track you want and use Auto passthrough.
    Ad video. Variable frame rate is evil and I think that can be source of all trouble you have. Best is Same as source and Constant frame rate. Especially when you want to edit the video. Avoid VFR !!!

Bernix
    Hi Bernix! Awesome, thank you so much for the advice!! I am a total noob, so I honestly don't know what I'm doing at all, haha, I appreciate your advice! I will do what you said and see if that works! Thanks so much again!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    If these are just copied video files off a Bluray using something like MakeMKV, then Vegas should be able to read those files. I don't use Vegas but it should be able to read H.264/MPEG2/VC-1 Bluray formatted videos just fine. But it might just not like the container the video was put in when you ripped the Bluray, like .MKV which is probably the problem. The Bluray video files were originally contained in .M2TS, so maybe you can use a program called tsmuxer to put your new .MKV files back in .M2TS so that maybe Vegas will have a better time decoding the videos. This would be lossless and fast.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/tsMuxeR

Download tsMuxeR in the above like and unzip and copy both tsMuxer.exe and tsMuxerGUI.exe to a new folder and run tsMuxerGUI.exe.
    Hi KarMa! This is awesome advice, it'd be amazing to have a lossless fix! Thank you so much, can't wait to try this!! I'm looking at it now in tsmuxer - just a few questions for you:

1) Currently, "Insert SEI and VUI data if absent" is the default setting. Should I keep this?

2) The box "Continually insert SPS/PPS" is checked by default. Would you recommend I keep this, or untick it?

3) I'm guessing my output should be M2TS muxing, correct?

4) Can I just click 'Start Muxing,' or do I also need to click 'Save Meta File?'

Sorry for all the questions - I can't thank you enough for your help, this looks like it's probably the solution I'm looking for!! Thank you again!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1&2) I have no idea, maybe mess with it later after you mux it and have problems. I'd keep it default for now as I never mess with that.

3) Yes

4) Yes and doubt you need meta files.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    1&2) I have no idea, maybe mess with it later after you mux it and have problems. I'd keep it default for now as I never mess with that.

3) Yes

Got it, I will put in those settings - you are the man, thank you so much for your help!!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post

3) Yes

I used tsmuxer, and it worked fantastic!! Just what i needed - I can import the files into Sony Vegas Pro and it works great, thank you so much!!! About the only problem I had is that with just one of the Blu-Rays (one out of 7, not bad), it for some reason copied over one of the 'bonus feature' narration tracks (i.e. you hear a guy speaking over the whole movie giving commentary). This is very odd, because this didn't happen in the original MKV file. I tried leaving out some of the source files and codecs, but nothing seemed to work. Has anyone out there experienced a similar problem?

Other than that, all good to go! Thanks so much again!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well that's good to hear that Vegas can deal with .M2TS files.

As far as one of your videos having the commentary tracks playing, you can try mux the .MKV file again into .M2TS but only checkmark the main video track and the main audio track. As with Blurays (DVDs and TV too) there can be multiple tracks. Apart from the main track which is always there, there can be secondary audio tracks like other languages and also commentary. The main track is usually set with a default flag when played in a media player or bluray player.

These are all separate audio tracks that should be selectable in Vegas. Or you could just mux it again with only the video track and main audio track selected in tsmuxergui, so that Vegas is forced to use the main track. Being able to tell you which is the main audio track in tsmuxergui is not something I can tell you easily over the internet. But usually the main track is the one with the most bitrate and most audio channels (5.1 or higher for example).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hey KarMa! Awesome, thank you so much for the advice! I will try that tonight. I did manage to import the footage into Vegas, and I could isolate the commentary track in Vegas (I just muted it), and it worked great. However, I'd like to delete the MKV file off my computer (and just keep the M2TS since it's so much smaller), so if I could manage to mux the MKV file again without the commentary, that'd be awesome. I'll let you know how it goes!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Well that's good to hear that Vegas can deal with .M2TS files.

As far as one of your videos having the commentary tracks playing, you can try mux the .MKV file again into .M2TS but only checkmark the main video track and the main audio track. As with Blurays (DVDs and TV too) there can be multiple tracks. Apart from the main track which is always there, there can be secondary audio tracks like other languages and also commentary. The main track is usually set with a default flag when played in a media player or bluray player.

These are all separate audio tracks that should be selectable in Vegas. Or you could just mux it again with only the video track and main audio track selected in tsmuxergui, so that Vegas is forced to use the main track. Being able to tell you which is the main audio track in tsmuxergui is not something I can tell you easily over the internet. But usually the main track is the one with the most bitrate and most audio channels (5.1 or higher for example).
    Turns out I spoke a little too soon about the M2TS files working in Vegas - interesting situation here. So I am working with all 7 movies in the 'Rocky' series. I used tsmuxer to convert all the MKV files to M2TS like you said. Oddly enough, the M2TS files for Rocky Balboa (which was released in 2006) and for Creed (released in 2015) work perfectly in Sony Vegas Pro - I can edit them just fine.

However, the M2TS files for every other Rocky movie (Rocky 1 through 5) do not work in Vegas. I am able to import them into Vegas, but the program hangs up immediately when I try to move the file to the timeline. Interestingly, Rocky 1 through 5 were released between 1976 and 1990, whereas the newer 2 Rocky movies were released on Blu-Ray to begin with. I'm guessing the discrepancy with them working/not working in Vegas has something to do with how the manufacturer encoded the Blu-Rays? (Since Rocky Balboa and Creed would have been directly released to Blu-Ray from the beginning, whereas the other movies had to be transferred to Blu-Ray since they came out before the Blu-Ray era).

So it looks like I'll have to convert the M2TS files from Rocky 1 to 5 to another format - this is unfortunate, as I feel like the quality will suffer. Any suggestions on what to convert them to? (M-PEG2?). I'm willing to convert them to any file that would preserve quality as a best as possible.

KarMa you've been a wealth of knowledge!! Thank you once again for all of your help!!!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Most likely it is an audio problem. Replace audio for generic AC3, wav or something, leave there only one audio track. Before re-muxing into m2ts.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Most likely it is an audio problem. Replace audio for generic AC3, wav or something, leave there only one audio track. Before re-muxing into m2ts.
    Thanks Al!! Would you recommend I use Handbrake for that? (Or any other program?) Thansk again!!
    Quote Quote  
  15. You do not need to change video track to mpeg2 , just leave passthru for video. BUT Handbrake cannot do such a thing. You'd need to do it two times.

Use MakeMKV to rip DVD to hardisk to MKV.
    Then use eac3to , or eac3to GUI to re-encode audio track to general AC3, 640kbps or 320kbps, not sure how many channels there is, or just downconvert to stereo, it is most likely for web I presume. Or sometimes Blu-Ray have two audio tracks if first track is HD audio like DTSMA or Atmos etc. so select that next track, not main audio track. in MakeMKV.
    Then use tsMuxer to mux desired tracks to a transport stream, which Vegas likes. TS or M2TS.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You do not need to change video track to mpeg2 , just leave passthru for video. BUT Handbrake cannot do such a thing. You'd need to do it two times.

Use MakeMKV to rip DVD to hardisk to MKV.
    Then use eac3to , or eac3to GUI to re-encode audio track to general AC3, 640kbps or 320kbps, not sure how many channels there is, or just downconvert to stereo, it is most likely for web I presume. Or sometimes Blu-Ray have two audio tracks if first track is HD audio like DTSMA or Atmos etc. so select that next track, not main audio track. in MakeMKV.
    Then use tsMuxer to mux desired tracks to a transport stream, which Vegas likes. TS or M2TS.
    Awesome, this is super helpful, thank you so much Al!! I will be sure to give this a try tonight. I do have the MKV files on my hard drive ready to go, so I will do what you said and use eac3to to switch the audio to AC3. I'd prefer for the audio to be as close to the original quality as possible, so would you recommend to just convert it to AC3 and 640kbps (as opposed to downconverting to stereo)? I'd do whichever you think is better for quality. Thanks so much again for your help, I really appreciate it!! (I have a lot to learn!)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Whatever works With Vegas, thas's the thing to find out. And whatever your output audio specs are. If it is 2 channel stereo, just downconvert it right away.
    "eac3to.exe" "your.MKV" "new.AC3" -256 -downStereo -down16
    that means new bitrate would be 256kbps, bits go down to 16, and 2 channels only
    or you can make Wav not AC3:
    "eac3to.exe" "your.MKV" "new.WAV" -downStereo -normalize
    but I remember I had some problems with different lengths then, not sure what was wrong there

If all fails for some reason. Vegas freezes etc, using tsMuxer and all, then MP4 container and passthru H.264 with proper AAC in it comes to the rescue,
    again H.264 passthru and you can make AAC audio stereo, put NeroAacEnc.exe into eac3to folder:
    "eac3to.exe" "your.MKV" "new.m4a" -256 -downStereo -normalize -down16
    or just use STDOUT:
    "eac3to.exe" "your.MKV" "stdout.wav" | "neroaacenc.exe" -br 256000 -ignorelength -if - -of "new.m4a"
    "MP4Box.exe" -add "your.h264" -add "new.m4a" "new.MP4"
    you can also use -quality settings using nero, like : -quality=0.5 or -q 0.5 , of specifying specific bitrate
    Last edited by _Al_; 5th Dec 2017 at 12:13.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whatever works With Vegas, thas's the thing to find out. And whatever your output audio specs are. If it is 2 channel stereo, just downconvert it right away.
    "eac3to.exe" "your.MKV" "new.AC3" -256 -downStereo -down16
    that means new bitrate would be 256kbps, bits go down to 16, and 2 channels only
    or you can make Wav not AC3:
    "eac3to.exe" "your.MKV" "new.WAV" -downStereo -normalize
    but I remember I had some problems with different lengths then, not sure what was wrong there

If all fails for some reason. Vegas freezes etc, using tsMuxer and all, then MP4 container and passthru H.264 with proper AAC in it comes to the rescue,
    again H.264 passthru and you can make AAC audio stereo, put NeroAacEnc.exe into eac3to folder:
    "eac3to.exe" "your.MKV" "new.m4a" -256 -downStereo -normalize -down16
    or just use STDOUT:
    "eac3to.exe" "your.MKV" "stdout.wav" | "neroaacenc.exe" -br 256000 -ignorelength -if - -of "new.m4a"
    "MP4Box.exe" -add "your.h264" -add "new.m4a" "new.MP4"
    you can also use -quality settings using nero, like : -quality=0.5 or -q 0.5 , of specifying specific bitrate
    Thank you so much for all this, Al!! I have just spent a few hours playing around with everything and trying to figure it out, but am still pretty confused, haha - I downloaded eac3to, but I don't understand how to use it. When I double-click on the application itself, a black screen comes up, letters scroll down the screen, and the black screen goes away. Is there a different way that I should be accessing the application? (Sorry to ask such a noob question - I tried googling it, but can't find a manual for the program). Thank you again for all your help!
    Quote Quote  
  19. It's a command line tool.
    Check GUI interface like eac3to GUI, not sure where to download that or better Blu-Ray Stream Extractor to extract BD streams and then using eac3toGUI to encode audio, or maybe Blu-Ray Stream Extractor can encode that audio right away. It is based on eac3to, so you need to have that eac3 anyway. I did not use any of those GUI's, just using eac3to as command line tool.

To work with command line there are many tutorials on web, it is really easy, just somehow nerdy if you never done that before.
    Last edited by _Al_; 6th Dec 2017 at 17:56.
    Quote Quote