VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys, I wanted to ask if anyone could help me to correct the scheme I posted.

To check the correct audio and video codecs in the known video format, if it is correct, or do I have to remove or add the supported codecs to video formats.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I dont know if is it your intention but there is more Format (Containers) I'm missing ts Transport stream which is quite common. And mjpeg codec (motion JPEG) in avi container. There will be much more codecs, lossless you didn't mentioned for example (h265 in mkv) I also don't see. But it depends on purpose of this tab.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 22nd Nov 2017 at 12:57. Reason: h265
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would rename the left column to "container" instead of "format".
    Quote Quote  
  4. Are you generating those containers? Then:

MP4 - avc, hevc, aac
    AVI - uncompressed video, lossless video codecs, DVavi, DivX, XviD
    mpeg2 - mpeg2 + audio mpeg1layerII , AC3, PCM maybe
    TS, m2ts - mpeg2, avc, AC3, PCM
    MKV - perhaps all above and whatever formats left except those that suppose to be in AVI container
    wmv,flv - do not generate those anymore
    VOB - same, do not generate those, let DVD authoring tools to generate them, you just generate mpg with DVD specs or better separate video and audio streams with DVD specs (m2v + AC3)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you I already know.

Thanks guys to feedback, the purpose of the schema is full support of ffmpeg in command line, to convert a video format to another format.
    I begin to correct the left column, if I understand, from Format to Containers. Also I do not understand why I go error with the *.mp4 format and the H.263p codec, I was convinced of the full compatibility.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Are you generating those containers? Then:

MP4 - avc, hevc, aac
    MKV - perhaps all above and whatever formats left except those that suppose to be in AVI container
    VOB - same, do not generate those, let DVD authoring tools to generate them, you just generate mpg with DVD specs or better separate video and audio streams with DVD specs (m2v + AC3)
    I need reliable compatibility so that during conversions between one format and another not make error, because of the fact that I'm creating a video converter like HandBrake or Avidemux, that's why I asked for your opinion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    according to this *.ts can contain mpeg1 also. It is originally transport stream remuxed to mkv.

Edit:read this discussion
    and this is probably what you trying to get here

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 22nd Nov 2017 at 15:01. Reason: Added links
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks @Bernix for the information, but I'm trying to embed in my program the most common video formats (containers) that a user can convert. The container (* .ts) I do not see so popular is a Transport Stream used in DVB recordings, but I personally did never use it, I was more interested in bik2 and bik formats (Bink Video) but I do not think ffmpeg has full support for conversion.
    Last edited by Malkovich; 22nd Nov 2017 at 17:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bik should be somehow supported, dont know about bik2. But if you are able to play them in VLC so no problem to convert them.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have fix and added new containers, as suggested by Bernix, I have included the formats (*.ts and *.dv) in the column (*.avi, *.divx) with its video (codecs) and audio (codecs) supported.

You can take a last look, thanks.

OR

Last edited by Malkovich; 23rd Nov 2017 at 02:28.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    avi container is nowadays mostly used for lossless capturing. Huffyuv and Lagarith codecs are most used for this purpose. Also if I transfer from my MiniDV camera to PC it results in avi and here is Mediainfo part about video.
    Video
    ID : 0
    Format : DV
    Commercial name : DVCPRO
    Codec ID : dvsd
    Codec ID/Hint : Sony

Because you want to do some conversion program, maybe you can do also list of encoders. This is for example for AAC - Nero, FDK, ffmpeg and so on. But you mentioned also you will use ffmpeg, so probably not needed this
    Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Malkovich View Post
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post

MP4 - avc, hevc, aac
    I need reliable compatibility so that during conversions between one format and another not make error, because of the fact that I'm creating a video converter like HandBrake or Avidemux, that's why I asked for your opinion.
    that is why I posted what codec should be in what container, anything else is a wild west
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Originally Posted by Malkovich View Post
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post

MP4 - avc, hevc, aac
    that is why I posted what codec should be in what container, anything else is a wild west
    The problem that every user has different needs, and in my program I tried to integrate the minimum indispensable, contains VOB and MPG encodings because it has conversion options from (DVD to X-Video) and (X-Video to DVD), DVD authoring and mkisofs are embedded in the final conversion program in My_dvd.(iso) and burning.

Could you do me a cleaner outline of what you mean, containers, video codec and audio codec, accept any advice, improvements or criticisms, I'm here for this.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Sorry, I must have missed that question.

You seam to set to encode everything to everything. You tell the user what should be in what container, example, not allowing to put AC3 in MP4 container, but AAC instead. Not allowing to get AVI container with avc in it and other codecs. I laid out in post #5 what should be in what container. To encode Everything to everything and to almost any container is wrong. You tell consumer, do not encode wmv, flv. I mean you give them a favor not implementing that.

If user wants to pass-thru a track, just choose correct container for him.

You mention VOB encoding, that is not smart at all, you just encode compatible DVD streams, video and audio stream if DVD is a target. DVD authoring makes a VOB , IFO, BUP files as a part of DVD structure. There is a dedicated soft like Muxman for example to do that, command line feature, you can implement that. Or a GUI DVD authoring if needing to create menu, you need GUI for that. GUI like that is a peace of work on its own I would not even waste a time going into this (especially DVD creation), there are alternatives, even free, they are superb.
    Quote Quote  
  15. @_Al_, for what reason I should not put the AC3 codec in the mp4 container, AC3 is the audio format used by the Dolby Digital standard, and it allows to compress 6-channel audio, the compatibility of the audio stream in the mp4 container standard is guaranteed.
    I do not understand what wrong I commit to the whole of humanity giving them the possibility to encode in WMV and FLV?

The DVD section of my application, offers the possibility to convert the old collections and countless DVDs (now Obsolete together with its DVD players) into digital video files, to be played comfortably within modern TV, with full compatibility of all video formats and audio.
    The DVD section does not create any Menu structures.

Same thing for the section (X-Video> DVD) It converts any digital format, into a DVD structure (Without any Menu), generating ISO files and burning, with full compatibility of any DVD player, still for very little on the market, and for those few people who today still feel the need for use.

The only change that I would do, as you have recommended, is to choose which formats (containers) to use in the section (DVD> X-Video), perhaps the choice of too many audio and video codecs can confuse the user, but maybe it's also true that my application will not be for everyone, a minimum level of knowledge on the conversion of an A/V format will be necessary for use.
    Quote Quote  
  16. The reason is, that a device would not play you encoded files well. As for MP4 that was added later in the specs, playback AC3 in MP4 container. For example not, sure if iTunes supports AC2 now. It allowed only AAC. Some older hardware box might choke on it too. Or you allow pass-thru and someone would try to mux Atmos audio track into MP4. He is going to tell you that that file is AC3 why is it not working?

Forget about dinosauruses like wmv or flv, you do not need to chase user into a potential problem. You have 90% people encoding choosing first available container because a soft allows it and they heard it before.

There is a reason you should follow that simple table I posted. If you know better , go ahead, I am not using GUI's anyway so let people to figure out themselves what codec is preferred in what container in hard way. You only get some complains and thums down for your encoder. They do not know that they implemented wrong choice. It is allowed, why is it not working?
    There is a reason that little table I wrote makes sense.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi Al, thanks for the answers, I will follow your advice, the choice of formats will guide the user to compatible audio video codecs, however the user will always have his own choice.
    I have already implemented the formats: WMV, and FLV with OGV and WEBM, with the right codecs preset and I do not want to remove them, are little used, but the option is there, who will need them will use them, who it does not interested will have the other conversion options.
    If you agree, I will send you the application privately to test it, to have other your opinions, before publishing it to the public. Thankss
    Quote Quote