VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. whats a .720 mkv rip I am a total amateur when it comes to movies
    Quote Quote  
  2. This complete depends on who is using the terms "720 mkv rip"

To start with the word "rip". Here at Videohelp it is used for making a copy of a DVD or Blu Ray disc without copy protection. The copy can either use the same file structure as the source or the video/audio content may be "poured" into a different container. MKV is such a container (as is avi, mp4 ...). This is also called re-muxing or re-wrapping to a different container format.

Others may use the term "rip" in a broader sense. This could be instead of copying the video/audio it's re-encoded (also called re-compressed) for eg. reducing space or to a format to be used on a specific device or the term "rip" could also be used when using other sources than DVD/Blu Ray like internet streaming sites.

The "720" refers to a resolution of 1280x720. This may include a p or i, eg 1280x720p where "p" designate that the video is progressive and "i" that it's interlaced

And then again. Others may have a completely different opinion than I do
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    This complete depends on who is using the terms "720 mkv rip"

To start with the word "rip". Here at Videohelp it is used for making a copy of a DVD or Blu Ray disc without copy protection. The copy can either use the same file structure as the source or the video/audio content may be "poured" into a different container. MKV is such a container (as is avi, mp4 ...). This is also called re-muxing or re-wrapping to a different container format.

Others may use the term "rip" in a broader sense. This could be instead of copying the video/audio it's re-encoded (also called re-compressed) for eg. reducing space or to a format to be used on a specific device or the term "rip" could also be used when using other sources than DVD/Blu Ray like internet streaming sites.

The "720" refers to a resolution of 1280x720. This may include a p or i, eg 1280x720p where "p" designate that the video is progressive and "i" that it's interlaced

And then again. Others may have a completely different opinion than I do
    Thanks thats that lesson learnt and digested

thank you again
    Quote Quote  
  4. The "720" refers to a resolution of 1280x720. This may include a p or i:
    "i" means interlaced. That is, the picture is drawn with half the screen scanned at every other line, and then scanned with the lines in between (TV pictures are drawn one line at a time, until the entire screen is depicted, then the next frame is drawn). In other words, odd numbered (1, 3, 5, etc) lines appear on the screen, then the even numbered lines appear. This all happens so fast that your eye sees a moving picture and never notices. This occurs when the data stream is too slow to show all the lines at once, so the rate that each frame appears on the screen is slowed. You see this as a less sharp picture.

"P" denotes "progressive, meaning that all lines on the screen are presented one after another, no gaps. This requires twice the data density, as the whole picture is shown at a single moment. You see this as a crisper picture and enjoy it somewhat more. Progressive trumps interlaced every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    The "720" refers to a resolution of 1280x720.
    If the source video had letterbox bars, and the conversion has those removed, then 1280×720 may end up as 1280×544 and still be called “720p”.
    Quote Quote