VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I'm a dummy for using an air compressor to blow the dust out of the pc. Now I get an error code "overclocking failed! Please enter Setup to re-configure your system". When I hit F1 it shows the cpu temp is 188f/87c. All fans are working. My system has not been overclocked. Do I need to re-apply heat sync compond?

It's clean now.....
    Quote Quote  
  2. yup.. maybe the cleaning has forced loose some components in pc.. reseat everything and reapply thermal paste on cpu
    Quote Quote  
  3. Probably heatsink lost firm contact with CPU lid - try to remove heatsink, clean contact areas, apply thermal grease and reseat heatsink firmly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I agree -- it sounds like the CPU cooler is no longer making good contact with the CPU.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've checked all the plug/jacks; everything seems seated properly. My board is an Asus. Are you saying remove the two blue heatsinks are re-apply with thermal grease?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20171119_135905.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	43789  

Quote Quote  
  6. No, the big circular heatsink with the fan. This is what is sitting directly on top of the CPU.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or you can also spoil thermometer. Have you checked temperature manually? I think you can check the temperature of the wind from CPU fan roughly.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Or you can also spoil thermometer. Have you checked temperature manually? I think you can check the temperature of the wind from CPU fan roughly.
    This would be pointless at it won't give you an accurate or helpful temperature for the actual CPU.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can put your hand in near of cpu and you will see. It is almost temperature of boiling water. So you know if is it in this level or the place is "cold". Of course when nothing is running. And as I wrote roughly which i mean +/-.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    I guess I'm a dummy for using an air compressor to blow the dust out of the pc. Now I get an error code "overclocking failed! Please enter Setup to re-configure your system". When I hit F1 it shows the cpu temp is 188f/87c. All fans are working. My system has not been overclocked. Do I need to re-apply heat sync compond?

It's clean now.....
    try removing the button cell battery on the motherboard and resetting the bios to factory default settings.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey thanks guys; applying new paste worked! Now I just have to find my D drive. I have three hard drives and now it shows I only have one.

Says Disk 0 is not initialized. Do you think I should restore to a previous good date?

Name:	fan.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	43791  

Last edited by clashradio; 19th Nov 2017 at 16:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Run the windows install disk and select repair start up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Run the windows install disk and select startup repair. Watch the video

https://youtu.be/rf8hUTPgDng
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lucky Americans. Do you still can use thermal paste that contain lead? Here in Europe it was banned and it caused lot of problems because of quality of paste. It smells shorter live cpu big win for companies. Same as lots of other pointless bans. We can have glass playing dice here in Europe and many more normal things... They also very hard limited electronic cigarette refills (content) or how to say. So it become much expensive another great win for companies.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jollyjohn View Post
    Run the windows install disk and select startup repair. Watch the video

https://youtu.be/rf8hUTPgDng
    Ok thanks I'll try that later tonight. I couldn't do the Restore option; no dates to pick from. Somehow the Raided drive got renamed or something and now Windows can't find it. I might have switched the plug/jacks around when I removed the two hard drives to access the fan in the front of the tower.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    I might have switched the plug/jacks around when I removed the two hard drives to access the fan in the front of the tower.
    Go to Disk Management and see if the drive appears there. You may just need to reassign drive letters.

Also, check all the drive connections again and make sure the cables are all connected tightly.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The drive appears there, but it cant be allocated. I already tried to rename it the same letter as it was (D drive). When i did that it seemed like that worked but then i checked the drive and it was just the same data as the C drive.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    The drive appears there, but it cant be allocated. I already tried to rename it the same letter as it was (D drive). When i did that it seemed like that worked but then i checked the drive and it was just the same data as the C drive.
    Check settings for SATA (AHCI vs Legacy) in BIOS. I can imagine that with resetting BIOS you lost proper SATA config.

Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Lucky Americans. Do you still can use thermal paste that contain lead? Here in Europe it was banned and it caused lot of problems because of quality of paste. It smells shorter live cpu big win for companies. Same as lots of other pointless bans. We can have glass playing dice here in Europe and many more normal things... They also very hard limited electronic cigarette refills (content) or how to say. So it become much expensive another great win for companies.
    AFAIK there is no thermal grease that use any lead based compound - perhaps you are confused with beryllium oxide https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium_oxide which is significantly better in thermal conductance than most of metals but it is banned as carcinogenic (inhaled BeO dust triggering cancer in lungs).
    Or perhaps you think about RoHS? IMHO RoHS is applicable to US as for EU.
    Quote Quote  
  19. That must an exceptionally strong air compressor, or you bumped the CPU heatsink while cleaning.

With a Raid setup, it is important to keep drives in same connector and NOT re-arrange.

In order to diagnose a screw-up with a Raid, it is important to have details of the configuration
    and all drives in the system, the way they were Before the screw-up.

Hopefully you used an Extremely Thin layer of paste, most newbies use far, far too much.

Asus motherboards are unreliable crap. Would Never, Ever, purchase or recommend one.

You should not have gotten an overclock message if you are not overclocked. However, one
    notable feature of some Asus boards is that they will go into overclock all by themselves.
    Your board is not a Crossblade Ranger II, by any chance, is it?

Just for fun, check the Asus site for BIOS updates for that one. Note the reason.
    That is typical for the brand.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    That must an exceptionally strong air compressor, or you bumped the CPU heatsink while cleaning.

With a Raid setup, it is important to keep drives in same connector and NOT re-arrange.

In order to diagnose a screw-up with a Raid, it is important to have details of the configuration

Hopefully you used an Extremely Thin layer of paste, most newbies use far, far too much.

Asus motherboards are unreliable crap. Would Never, Ever, purchase or recommend one.

You should not have gotten an overclock message if you are not overclocked. However, one
    notable feature of some Asus boards is that they will go into overclock all by themselves.
    Your board is not a Crossblade Ranger II, by any chance, is it?

Just for fun, check the Asus site for BIOS updates for that one. Note the reason.
    That is typical for the brand.
    I had the compressor nozzle directly at the cpu, probably way too close..

I also probably switched the order of the p/j's on the raided drives. I can see the name of that drive ("video editing") in the Systems Command (I think that's the name of it).

I used decent amount of paste, not overly thick. But not extremely thin either.

This is the second time I've heard Asus board are junk lol. I had a Hellava time getting my Black Magic Shuttle usb3.0 to work and was told that then.

I forgot the model right now (I'm at work). But it's not the Crossblade Ranger.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    I'm using these for decades now and not one of them ever crashed.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Asus is one of the best if not best brand.
    Easy bios update and simply change 6th gen for 7th gen intel CPU. I doubt it is easy as this in other brands. Actually I can now turn off computer, change processor, turn on computer and is upgraded.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE Check settings for SATA (AHCI vs Legacy) in BIOS. I can imagine that with resetting BIOS you lost proper SATA config. [/QUOTE]

It is set to AHCI

[QUOTE In order to diagnose a screw-up with a Raid, it is important to have details of the configuration
    and all drives in the system, the way they were Before the screw-up.[/QUOTE]

I admit I can't remember which set of p/j's go to which hard drive?

Name:	HD cables.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	43805  

Last edited by clashradio; 20th Nov 2017 at 18:17.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    Check settings for SATA (AHCI vs Legacy) in BIOS. I can imagine that with resetting BIOS you lost proper SATA config.
    It is set to AHCI
    I would then try opposite setting ie legacy or compatible (have no Asus and don't remember they naming convention)

Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    I admit I can't remember which set of p/j's go to which hard drive?
    You can check sticker on HDD unless all disk are same vendor and same size + series.
    Also SATA port numbering may be helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Mirrored, striped, parity, hot-swap, HOW WHERE THEY CONFIGURED? C, D, E, descriptive and useful information is required.

For instance, I could make a wild guess that the drive that shows identical contents with the main, boot, C drive, (not specified), was simply mirrored and is showing exactly what it should show, but guesses, even educated and experienced ones, are not the best way to proceed when there is, or should be, someone who knows EXACTLY what the original config was.

It might be useful to ask what is your purpose in implementing a RAID system? Speed, redundancy, easy recovery? If using a simple mirror, there are much better ways.

Thirty years in PC service, the number of ASUS boards with severe warranty issues and major instability problems is amazingly high. 8-10 BIOS updates, each one for the purpose of "improving system stability", is just one recent example. A BIOS should NOT repeat NOT give an "unsuccessful overclock" message if no overclocking is implemented.

For hardcore tweakers that can live with frequent system shutdowns and lockups they offer many overclocking options. For a reliable, dependable system, they are not an acceptable choice.
    Quote Quote