VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After a random amount of time, the sound drops out from my feed, which is coming from tv via an hdmi splitter (View HD vhd-1x2mn3d, http://a.co/gRWbr7E).

I've tried a couple of different units and different machines, same result. Once it happens the sound is gone unless I interrupt the signal some way and make it renegotiate, then the cycle starts again. Mind you this happens using Hauppauge capture even if not actually recording - just the display does it.

I've got the latest software from Hauppage and the latest firmware. Of note to me is that when I use the Hauppage tray tool, it says the serial # is 0 (both devices, both computers). Doesn't seem right but whatever...

I've tried on a windows 10 and a windows 7 machine and get the same result.

So ... does anyone have any suggestions on what the culprit here could be? I'd like to rule out the PVR 60 itself because I tried 2 different ones. The same for the machines. So, to me, either these in general have issues like this or there is a problem with the splitter, splitter, or HDMI cable I'm using (from cable box to splitter or splitter to PVR60).

If it was the splitter, would I expect to lose everything, not just the sound?

Obviously, I could get another HDMI cable but that doesn't really track to me either, to be honest.

If it's the software, is there other software that might work? I noticed nextPVR will record even with HDCP (so no splitter needed) and that would take both the splitter and the hauppauge software out of the equation. But I can't even figure out how to control the recording settings or start and stop a recording (without scheduling one on the 10s - can't start at just any time you want). Can someone point me to those settings or different software?

Any help is immensely appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes that true with NextPVR it automatic disable HDCP so no for a HDMI splitter is needed
    Try SageTV we just add the HD-PVR 60 but you need the HDMI splitter we haven't fig out how disable HDCP like NextPVR.
    https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65194
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    Yes that true with NextPVR it automatic disable HDCP so no for a HDMI splitter is needed
    Try SageTV we just add the HD-PVR 60 but you need the HDMI splitter we haven't fig out how disable HDCP like NextPVR.
    I'll give it a try. I'm running a sequence of tests. Earlier today NextPVR ran for hours with no splitter, no sound issues. However, I notice that it records at 9MBps and I've been using Hauppauge Capture at 11. I tried to set NextPVR to record at 11 to do apples-to-apples by editing the config.xml but it didn't make any difference. I also notice that it can only record 720p. Can SageTV do full 1080p at 60fps?

Currently I'm running Hauppauge capture at 9Mbps through the splitter to see if the sound drops out.

My machine that I'm using this on is old but it's still a core 2 quad q6600 at 2.4Ghz with 8gb of ram. It should be enough to handle this capture at 11 for sure. If this test fails, then I focus back on the splitter or cable I guess.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by doncaruana View Post
    I'll give it a try. I'm running a sequence of tests. Earlier today NextPVR ran for hours with no splitter, no sound issues. However, I notice that it records at 9MBps and I've been using Hauppauge Capture at 11. I tried to set NextPVR to record at 11 to do apples-to-apples by editing the config.xml but it didn't make any difference. I also notice that it can only record 720p. Can SageTV do full 1080p at 60fps?

Currently I'm running Hauppauge capture at 9Mbps through the splitter to see if the sound drops out.

My machine that I'm using this on is old but it's still a core 2 quad q6600 at 2.4Ghz with 8gb of ram. It should be enough to handle this capture at 11 for sure. If this test fails, then I focus back on the splitter or cable I guess.
    See info I posted in sagetv forum about registry editor it may apply to NextPVR as well but I don't used that app
    The only way for you to record 1080p/60fps is your Set-Top Box has to output that other then that you only see 480i/30fps, 480p/30fps, 720p/60fps or 1080i/30fps depend on how the set-top is setup and video source material is encode
    Last edited by SHS; 18th Nov 2017 at 14:16.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    See info I posted in sagetv forum about registry editor it may apply to NextPVR as well but I don't used that app
    The only way for you to record 1080p/60fps is your Set-Top Box has to output that other then that you only see 480i/30fps, 480p/30fps, 720p/60fps or 1080i/30fps depend on how the set-top is setup and video source material is encode
    It does output at 1080p/60fps actually.

I saw the registry but didn't think it would apply. But I do have that set and it's at 9000. So maybe NPVR is pulling that. I can give that a try too.

As a side note, the sputter is back with hauppauge capture through the splitter. But as soon as I "reset" the bitrate (actually just set it to 9M again), it renegotiated and the sound came back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dose hauppauge capture see it as that and record as 1080p/60fps ?.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dose hauppauge capture see it as that and record as 1080p/60fps ?.
    Yep
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That interesting that NextPVR doesn't do that as well maybe the developer maybe doing something different like using the trasoncder mode
    Any way then SageTV should be able to record 1080p/60fps you have look into that as I can't my set-top dosen't do that with any channel other then a few high price PPV channel on Dish Joey if I recall right.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interestingly...nextPVR is running just fine with no sputter through the splitter.

So...that leads me back to either a) the Hauppauge Capture software or b) there still is an issue with the splitter but since nextPVR seems to ignore the HDCP maybe it's not having any issues. I'll have to try with sagetv or something else. BTW - which one do I download? there are 3 - client, server, and something else.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The server as the client used on other pc in your network like Laptop and other Windows PC device that have CPU are x86 or x64
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Interestingly...nextPVR is running just fine with no sputter through the splitter.

So...that leads me back to either a) the Hauppauge Capture software or b) there still is an issue with the splitter but since nextPVR seems to ignore the HDCP maybe it's not having any issues. I'll have to try with sagetv or something else. BTW - which one do I download? there are 3 - client, server, and something else.
    I think I maybe seen the same thing but with both audio and video sputter for about 4/5sec
    I think know what your talk about now it could be the HDMI splitter it self that the root cause by it re-sync HDMI
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Hi doncaruana it dose record 1080i/30fps with NextPVR and the HD-PVR 60 but right about the bit rate it lock at 9mbps I was only able to change the stock MPEG audio codec over to AAC.
    I wish My Dishnetwork had some free 1080p/60 channel but it doesn't or at lease non that I can find.
    Quote Quote